OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
We went to John Lewis today to get our hands on the Britax Roamer and a few others. The thing putting me off these 'intermediate' seats is I'm shelling out £200+ and with his height I anticipate he will have outgrown it well before the 4 years these seats are expected to last until. Then it's another purchase for another bigger seat.

I saw this all ages seat though...

https://www.johnlewis.com/joie-every-stage-group-0-1-2-3-car-seat-two-tone-black/p2657386

Any opinions? We decided that 360 spin wasn't that much of a priority as we first thought.

Soldato
We have 360 spins in one car and normal non spins in the other.

I don't drive the car with the non spin. So much easier getting the wriggly non compliant monsters in the one with the 360 .

Associate
18 days until the due date for our first. My OH is now on maternity leave and nesting the hell out of the house, *touches wood* everything has gone smoothly so far. The nursery is done, the bags are packed and the seat is in the car. All i'm waiting for is that message or phone call.

I'm a mixture of emotions at the moment. I excited beyond belief but also crapping my pants due to a myriad of reasons that most men probably feel.

Don
What are people's experiences with slow development with their kids? I know it's easy to get bogged down with comparisons and apps that tell you your child should be doing this and that and it's easy to get drawn into. I've been there before reading how my kids are exceeding expectations and it's always great to see.

Our youngest is 15 months old, as mentioned in this thread he refuses to eat things himself, will not pick up food and put it in his mouth, he relies on us to spoon feed everything, in fact he won't put anything in his mouth, no toys, nothing! The health visitor mentioned this isn't cause for concern and he will do it when he is good and ready, however, after starting Nursery two weeks ago, they mentioned to us about him not chomping down on food in general, he can chew, but say if you put a banana in his mouth he wouldn't bite a bit off, they were concerned with this part that we've made a rod for our own back.

With the above and the fact he's not walking yet, yet most are at nursery, it wasn't so long he started crawling! He was slow with getting his teeth through, he just seems to be weeks/months behind everyone, should we be concerned?Apparently these are signs of autism and the like.

I wonder if anyone has gone through similar and can share how their child is now? His older brother and sister did everything by the book so this is relatively new to us. It wasn't so long ago we thought he was developing above his age bracket, he was doing peek a boo from a really early age, clapping and responding to our voices with hand actions etc. I might be worrying about something of nothing of course.

Soldato
OP
18 days until the due date for our first. My OH is now on maternity leave and nesting the hell out of the house, *touches wood* everything has gone smoothly so far. The nursery is done, the bags are packed and the seat is in the car. All i'm waiting for is that message or phone call.

I'm a mixture of emotions at the moment. I excited beyond belief but also crapping my pants due to a myriad of reasons that most men probably feel.
You're more prepared than I was so I can confidently say you'll be grand. You're right to be both excited and nervous, it's one hell of a ride!

My first time bathing my daughter was probably the trickiest thing, and we were lucky to have a midwife show us how to hold her with one hand (keeping her noodle neck supported) in the sink while using the other to wash her. Little things like that make the first few days weeks eventful!

Associate
You're more prepared than I was so I can confidently say you'll be grand. You're right to be both excited and nervous, it's one hell of a ride!

Cheers mate. Time is a precious commodity as it is, so wanted to get everything done that we could get done. We don't know what we're having either which add's to the tension. We already know what a little character it is, know when they're bouncing around and napping, when I get home from work it goes nuts as soon as it hears my voice which is a weird yet amazing thing. For now I just call it 'Barry', which my Mrs hates but she can't help but call it that herself lol.

(For the record, it's not going to be called Barry if it's a boy)

Associate
Our twins are now 5 months old, same old got 3 others, ones 8 ones 5 and another is 3 babies always want to be on mum, I'm at work Mon to Fri so it's the wife dealing most of the time, weekends for me are crazy obviously haha. I have holiday at work tbh.

Not as hard as you might think though

Soldato
OP
Our twins are now 5 months old, same old got 3 others, ones 8 ones 5 and another is 3 babies always want to be on mum, I'm at work Mon to Fri so it's the wife dealing most of the time, weekends for me are crazy obviously haha. I have holiday at work tbh.

Not as hard as you might think though
Wait you have 3 kids plus twins? That sounds... exhausting!

Soldato
What are people's experiences with slow development with their kids? I know it's easy to get bogged down with comparisons and apps that tell you your child should be doing this and that and it's easy to get drawn into. I've been there before reading how my kids are exceeding expectations and it's always great to see.

Our youngest is 15 months old, as mentioned in this thread he refuses to eat things himself, will not pick up food and put it in his mouth, he relies on us to spoon feed everything, in fact he won't put anything in his mouth, no toys, nothing! The health visitor mentioned this isn't cause for concern and he will do it when he is good and ready, however, after starting Nursery two weeks ago, they mentioned to us about him not chomping down on food in general, he can chew, but say if you put a banana in his mouth he wouldn't bite a bit off, they were concerned with this part that we've made a rod for our own back.

With the above and the fact he's not walking yet, yet most are at nursery, it wasn't so long he started crawling! He was slow with getting his teeth through, he just seems to be weeks/months behind everyone, should we be concerned?Apparently these are signs of autism and the like.

I wonder if anyone has gone through similar and can share how their child is now? His older brother and sister did everything by the book so this is relatively new to us. It wasn't so long ago we thought he was developing above his age bracket, he was doing peek a boo from a really early age, clapping and responding to our voices with hand actions etc. I might be worrying about something of nothing of course.

Don't worry about it. Our 19 month old, doesn't even crawl yet, he will eat food himself though even using a fork of we put the food on the fork.

Soldato
OP
A woman I used to commute with told me a story about some friends of hers: their son, 5 at this point, had never spoken a word. All sorts of therapies etc ensued to no avail. One day at a bday party he walks over to an adult with a toy and says "excuse me, I think the mechanism is broken". Turns out he'd been practicing on his own and it just needed a point where he actually needed to communicate to do so. So basically I think a lot of "slow developers" are just kids who haven't found the motivation to do a thing for whatever reason

Soldato
A woman I used to commute with told me a story about some friends of hers: their son, 5 at this point, had never spoken a word. All sorts of therapies etc ensued to no avail. One day at a bday party he walks over to an adult with a toy and says "excuse me, I think the mechanism is broken". Turns out he'd been practicing on his own and it just needed a point where he actually needed to communicate to do so. So basically I think a lot of "slow developers" are just kids who haven't found the motivation to do a thing for whatever reason
Agreed there very lazy animals. With its not crawling or walking he basically crabs around very well and fast so why do to the effort of crawling.

I really don't worry about him at all, if others want to compare that's up to them. He's his own person and will do things at his own rate.

Soldato

Apparently I didnt speak for ages as my older brother basically used to speak for me, not giving me a chance. Then when he started primary school, I found my voice. Probably a load of poo, but that's what mother claims :D

Soldato
I swear our 11 month old is already 2. He strops and sulks so much. If you tell him "no" , he drops to the floor and throws a tantrum. Not let him have something he shouldn't, tantrum. Walk out the room, tantrum. Get in the way of him and the Sooty show, tantrum. I thought I had times of bliss before the little **** came out in him? :(

Soldato
Don't worry about it. Our 19 month old, doesn't even crawl yet, he will eat food himself though even using a fork of we put the food on the fork.
Id be a little worried at 19 months tbh.

My 14month old, walks, eats by himself (moans when we try to help) and can now say words. Yesterday, he managed to get lego to stack correctly :D

Soldato
Id be a little worried at 19 months tbh.

My 14month old, walks, eats by himself (moans when we try to help) and can now say words. Yesterday, he managed to get lego to stack correctly :D

Nope no reason to worry you can't force them only encourage.
He can stack his rings on the cone thing toy. He will say da da, yeah, hiya. Nods his head and shakes his head.
Not even slightly worried.

Soldato
My twins will be 16 weeks on Tuesday. What a rollercoaster. I've had some of the most amazing moments of my life in the company of those two little bundles of noise. Despite the horror of pregnancy for my wife (she spent months in hospital and ended up in a wheelchair for the last month), things are going well. They're pretty well-behaved, smiley, friendly and coming along strong. And they both sleep 9 hours straight (apart from the occasional dummy requirement) every night - haven't done a night feed in several weeks! It's the christening on Sunday, and their 16 week jabs on Monday. While I don't think I've ever been as tired as I have over the last few months, I also haven't felt such indescribable affection either. Worth every penny and moment of lost sleep.

Scottish mother unhappy at finding them in England Rugby bodysuits for the game this morning :D

Back
Top Bottom