OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
Right 3 and half months now before first monster.

Not really brought anything yet, got back from last adult holibobs with the wife yesterday so need to start getting arse in gear

Really really struggling with what to get regarding car seats. Some people telling us just to get an joie 360/everystage car seat.

But the wife will prob be travelling quite abit with baby in car so in our minds surely a baby seat with isofix would be better for the 1st year?

Then into another mine field which travel system to buy.....it's sooo confusing don't get me even started with cots

Soldato
Completely forgot about this thread, looking forward to the catch up when I get chance later.

Just thought I'd post to say how utterly drained and exhausted I am right now! Forgot how hard the 1-2 year old stage is :o

Don
Don't worry about it. Our 19 month old, doesn't even crawl yet, he will eat food himself though even using a fork of we put the food on the fork.

Thanks. Just after I posted this my wife spoke to the health visitor who echoed some of the comments here, nothing to worry about and all kids develop at their own rate. It also has no bearing on their future endeavours in life how quick they can do this and that. I don't really ever worry about these things, it's more my wife will overthink it and I need to reassure here. The HV did that so all good.

Soldato
Mine is now 4 and a half months old and he's decided that sleeping on his front his most comfortable which is making me and the wife very nervous. The good thing though is he's sleeping well through the night (always had - touch wood). Everyday there is still something new to enjoy. Although having to chop my beard off wasn't fun as it was his new favorite play thing to tug on - OUCH!

Don
Mine is now 4 and a half months old and he's decided that sleeping on his front his most comfortable which is making me and the wife very nervous. The good thing though is he's sleeping well through the night (always had - touch wood). Everyday there is still something new to enjoy. Although having to chop my beard off wasn't fun as it was his new favorite play thing to tug on - OUCH!

At 4.5months he's past the risk of SIDS anyway. Can he roll over himself, or just grizzles until you place him on his tummy?

Associate
Right 3 and half months now before first monster.

Not really brought anything yet, got back from last adult holibobs with the wife yesterday so need to start getting arse in gear

Really really struggling with what to get regarding car seats. Some people telling us just to get an joie 360/everystage car seat.

But the wife will prob be travelling quite abit with baby in car so in our minds surely a baby seat with isofix would be better for the 1st year?

Then into another mine field which travel system to buy.....it's sooo confusing don't get me even started with cots

We've gone for the maxicosi pebble and an isofix base (think the maxicosi 3 way). The theory being we can just leave the base in the car and clip the seat in/out more easily than faffing about with seatbelts every time

Soldato
At 4.5months he's past the risk of SIDS anyway. Can he roll over himself, or just grizzles until you place him on his tummy?

He's doing it on his own and is fine doing it, its just weird. He ends up being upside down and on his front from when we put him down. Reminds me of a dog mooching around before they lay down. He's sleeping well so it must be fine!

Associate
I'm 44 and about to become a Dad for the first time

I'm now worried I'm going to be too old? Am I worrying unduly, or should I just get on with it like Mick Jagger does

Permabanned
Congratulations. You tend to need less sleep than as you get older so you'll probably find it easier than a 20 something dad. Only downside is as you get older you tend to have a bit more responsibility at work etc. which can make life feel like a constant juggle. If you use it as motivation to get/stay fit no reason you can't be running rings round the dad's in their late 20s who your son/daughter will know and haven't looked after themselves.

Associate
I don't think being 44 is going to make that much difference unless you've started encountering age-related health issues already. Regardless, you can hardly back out now so might as well throw yourself into it and do the best you can, which is all anyone can really do! You can obviously prepare as well as possible by ensuring that you're in good shape physically, mentally and financially.

Back
Top Bottom