OcUK DDoS attack - £10,000 reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was about to buy some hardware today from OCUK but the web site was down (and still is). Hope this gets resolved soon.

Kinda disappointed as I was hoping to get a graphics card for tomorrow delivery - this is the only day I can be at home to recieve it :(

why dont you call them they do take order over the phone.

yes they do have dodgy northern accents, but you should be able to understand them.

Caporegime
Pretty hard to investigate without more information, and if it is a competitor they probably paid someone with a botnet.
These things are normally controlled by IRC, if it were my site I would scan the zombie computers for vulnerabilities, see if I couldn't get the virus and run it in a sandbox / decompile the binary to see where it connects too.

Hope you catch the offenders!

If I read up on this right, does it infect other PC's?

If so, would there be symptoms?

Maybe could find it that way.

Soldato
Someone hinted at a competitor (post removed) on whos forum is a thread with people asking if ocuk was down. Theres also threads on o2, adslguide/thinkbroadband and a few other forums where people are asking why they can't get to the site.

Oh! :D

The main shop is still down? Guess they are still targeting this?

Soldato
Hell, it might be worth creating a Facebook account dediated to finding the tit. :)

I doubt this would be much help due to the fact that the kind of person that is able to do something like this probably wouldn't be caught out by their facebook account.

What i want to know is how would this person have distrubuted a virus(?) to hundreds/thousands of computers?

Permabanned
what about having people log in to view the forums? should cut the attacks down a bit even for just the forums

Doesn't matter - they either do a shedload of http requests which still work or a SYN flood or other attack to the webserver port, overloading the webserver app and/or the OS's TCP/IP stack.

Last edited:
Associate
If nothing else, the fact that Spie has offered such a large 'reward' just goes to show the severity of this situation and also the determination to find the culprit too. God help him when they do. Though again as Spie has said, they have a suspicion of who it maybe and through reading the forum of late I think most of us do too.

Hope they/he is tracked down and pays Bill'inda a visit in the local lockup..

Soldato
Instigating these kind of attacks is a serious criminal offence and whilst we have strong suspicions who is behind them we need more evidence.

Would it be legal to post who the suspect is?

We cant really gather any evidence for you if we have nowhere to start.

Soldato
Don't be a berk. You do realise that naming and shaming anyone on OcUK's forum can leave them open to all kinds of reverberation if you were to imply that someone innocent was involved.

Not to mention cause trouble if this ends up in court.

If this case was actually in court at the moment posting hearsay and nonsence could be viewed as contempt of court.

EDIT: Good luck getting this sorted Spie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any half decent DDoS will be both virtually impossible to trace to its source and mitigate against (speaking as someone who works for an ISP and has had to deal with them too).

The reward is an interesting hook but I guess it depends on the motives of the person(s) involved.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Would it be legal to post who the suspect is?

We cant really gather any evidence for you if we have nowhere to start.
No. A suspect is a suspect. I'm not going to name anyone. There are people out there who know who is behind this. They are the people who need to come forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom