**OcUK Extreme Haswell bundle - A review!**

Caporegime
Sticking with the ivy might have been a better plan looking back now. Even though it was another very poor chip. The cheapest bundle would be £717.00, (Gigabyte oc board and k2), but i do prefer asus boards and have a good one here in the formula, already have a k2 as well.

If i can get the temps down a bit on this one id stick with it tbh. For games that i play 4.4/5ghz is the sweetspot i need for running sli'd gpu's. Anything higher would just be for benching. Never tried it yet in games when it was clocked at 4.5, but in 3dm it maxed at 67 on one core during the physics/combined tests. Similair to my previous two ivys and my x58 setups.

Caporegime
Does look like a good method. I can only assume the vice was used to exert a bit of pressure. And likely to stop his hands getting too hot. Id need to source a hair dryer though, currently single and have pretty short hair here.:D

I think ive seen videos before of people using a hair dryer to free up old stuck on heatsinks. Ive no idea though on the sort of consistency of the glue that intel use.

Soldato
Does look like a good method. I can only assume the vice was used to exert a bit of pressure. And likely to stop his hands getting too hot. Id need to source a hair dryer though, currently single and have pretty short hair here.:D

I think ive seen videos before of people using a hair dryer to free up old stuck on heatsinks. Ive no idea though on the sort of consistency of the glue that intel use.

Argos. £15 bro! Done. Vice...errrr harder to come by

I would be terrified of delidding it

What TIM do people use once they clean the chip?

Caporegime
surely you can borrow a hairdryer

I wouldn't use a heatgun though they can get seriously hot 300c+,might melt the solder

for paste use coollaboratory liquid pro on the die and top of metal cap/ihs,and cover the resistors next to the die with clear nail polish or thin slither of electrical tape,if any liquid pro touches those it will short the cpu

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I want to know what 8pack said to TTL.

Basically reviewed the m6e and said it was rubbish and did nothing a £150 Board couldnt do, so 8 pack pointed out he had completely ignored certain features sich as uncore. Tom took a strop with it and started crying saying he was going to call 8 pack's boss (gibbo) to get him off of oc3d, 8 pack then took that on board and created another account called 'lurpack' & continued to point out the string of flaws in his review and overclocking methods, Tom and his sheep contined to cry about it as eventually lurpack was banned.

Why on earth some jumped up **** on YouTube wanted to even try argue overclocking with a guy who is not only #1 in the UK but also one of the best in the world I'll never know.

All he had to do was mtfu and take on board what he was being schooled in rather then kick up a fuss.

Soldato
Basically reviewed the m6e and said it was rubbish and did nothing a £150 Board couldnt do, so 8 pack pointed out he had completely ignored certain features sich as uncore. Tom took a strop with it and started crying saying he was going to call 8 pack's boss (gibbo) to get him off of oc3d, 8 pack then took that on board and created another account called 'lurpack' & continued to point out the string of flaws in his review and overclocking methods, Tom and his sheep contined to cry about it as eventually lurpack was banned.

Why on earth some jumped up **** on YouTube wanted to even try argue overclocking with a guy who is not only #1 in the UK but also one of the best in the world I'll never know.

All he had to do was mtfu and take on board what he was being schooled in rather then kick up a fuss.

I knew it would have been something like that, Kaap had a similar experience with him. Thanks for the explanation though :D

I really wouldn't take any advice on overclocking or indeed watercooling from TTL, will leave it to the more experienced and less arrogant people on this forums.

Edit: I'm seriously tempted to get one of these 4770k bundles. Might got mATX though and downsize my entire rig, get rid of the chiller and go back to warm water. Probably cost a couple hundred to switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I honestly couldn't recommend the X-OC highly enough, it even go's as far as offering memory presets for certain kits and some tuned by HiCookie!

Just done 5ghz DDR2666, now to tune memory and the pump the core up!

Soldato
I honestly couldn't recommend the X-OC highly enough, it even go's as far as offering memory presets for certain kits and some tuned by HiCookie!

Just done 5ghz DDR2666, now to tune memory and the pump the core up!

What kind of 3D11 Physics score does that give? That's a serious clock with decent memory! :D
I'm going to have a think about it, offloading a couple of cards already so will have the available £ next week to move if i want.

Can you think of any decent mATX cases for watercooling (except the parvum) Your board is by far the best in that price range though, without a doubt.

Soldato
OP
Sweet Pgi947, that definitely sealed the deal over the IB-E build.
I take it you were using the TG Ram?

Yep, needs tuning though, the XMP profile sets a tRFC of 467 :confused:
I'll get working on it over the week :)

What kind of 3D11 Physics score does that give? That's a serious clock with decent memory! :D
I'm going to have a think about it, offloading a couple of cards already so will have the available £ next week to move if i want.

Can you think of any decent mATX cases for watercooling (except the parvum) Your board is by far the best in that price range though, without a doubt.

Not sure on the 3d11 physics yet, though at a guess it will be somewhere near 13K.

Dedicated mATX cases for WC is a tricky one, most cater for ATX with mATX options or mITX

Soldato

In fairness Asus admitted the BIOS (or BIOSes) they gave him o nthe review board were broken and since sent him a new board with new BIOS. He reviewed them a little better but his point of it being overkill and over-priced for a gaming motherboard was still there (arguably a fair point) as a number of board, such as the Z87X-OC will pretty much match it in game related benchmarks on 24/7 clocks (I'm guessing a bit here).

Soldato
Not sure on the 3d11 physics yet, though at a guess it will be somewhere near 13K.

Dedicated mATX cases for WC is a tricky one, most cater for ATX with mATX options or mITX

Need to have a think about it, either go full ATX with a caselabs TH10 or mATX and probably just use the Parvum. The 4930k isn't what i was hoping for so probably will get one of these bundles and hope i hit golden like you.

Back
Top Bottom