OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Associate
it is very possbile to do that IF he hasn't trained before and just started seriously with a proper diet.
I remember I put 2 inches on my arms in my first half an year of training (had pictures on this thread to prove it), and barely anything after another year later lol. :D I did learn a lot more, leaned out quite a bit while gaining a bit of muscle as well as some decent strength gains since then.

You have to take into account that he is closer to the camera in the second pic so there's a bit of optical illusion in there as well.

Associate
Apologies for causing such a fuss. I think you need to understand I've trained solidly at a hardcore / mma fighters gym where 95% are enhanced in some way or another. I'm just a little skeptical that's all. I'm not hating, on the contrary it's an absolutely amazing achievement if that's happened in 6 months, never seen anything like it before. Did you take measurements before and after, chest size, bi's, etc. Also any details on diet and training regime would be helpful.

Yah I know what you mean, but imo gear will help but only to a certain extent, to many people dive onto gear thinking of magic results. I used to be fat at age 16/17 about 17.5 stone fat. Then dropped it all off by 18 years old maybe weighed 11 stone or something but building up, but training was pretty garbage, didn't start training decently till about mid 19.

Diet is a good 80% of it imo, if your diets crappy your results will be crappy end of. I don't believe you have to eat 100s and 100s of chicken and rice constantly, but just simply divide portions up so your keeping your metabolism fast but also so your consuming a solid steady amount, not MASSIVE portions I keep them quite moderate, and some small... I don't believe in a lot of these ultra low carb and fat diets and high protein. You need a good balance, not just for results but for a healthy body!

I take in quite a lot of vits, I take vit c, 3 per day just to keep water away, it's not a magic thing but it's very mild diuretic so helps drainage imo. I take glutamine for recovery, but also for my intestines good for your whole body imo. I take fish oils usually 4 per day (4g) good for the joints my skin etc. I take 5htp get good sleep at night as im pretty stressed atm...

Man of Honour
OP
That's why I keep emphasising negatives. :)

Good improvement, but as you say the pic isn't brilliant.

Can we stop the illegal steroid chat now please - it's illegal and I don't want people talking about it here, there are other forums where such talk is allowed - here isn't. Also because I'm anti them :p

Man of Honour
OP
Right I've had enough - I'm deleting posts. I dont' care what the law states, it is not for this forum. Furthermore, don't lecture me, I've been in this game long enough. Don't like it? Leave.

I've had enough of the crap posted by some members here.

Soldato
Just noticed that this thread has had almost as many views as GordyR's sticky, yet this thread is usually archived once or twice per year.

It would seem more people view it than I thought!

Commissario
Right, it seems that Freefaller wants a fight with me(!) so from next month the diet is being changed, and the weights are going to kick back in (have had 2 months off now). Barbell will be ordered, as will some 10kg discs.
Not much more to say at the moment, other than watch this space!

Soldato
Just noticed that this thread has had almost as many views as GordyR's sticky, yet this thread is usually archived once or twice per year.

It would seem more people view it than I thought!

Sports arena is full of perverts ;)

Some impressive size and weight there BIC3P, the picture doesn't really show much but looking a fair bit bigger. Whats your stats?

Man of Honour
OP
Re: B1CEP - We have a Kevin Levrone genetically gifted chap on the forum! I hope you actually spend time on dedicated BB forums, as with your genetics you'll be given some good advice, and really should compete - as you are one in a million - I mean it, to gain that size in such a short time, without any artificial assistance, is unheard of. I'm VERY jealous. Your training and nutritional knowledge must surpass most people's (even mine I dare say). I'd be keen for you to share your experiences/training/diet. :)

Even for "noob" gains, this is absolutely phenomenal - as I said, unheard of. I'm tempted to submit your photo and contact details (with permission from you of course) to some pros to help get the best out of you.

Because the BNBF is tested you'll be able to stand there with pride knowing that you are a very gifted and lucky individual.

Soldato
Right, it seems that Freefaller wants a fight with me(!) so from next month the diet is being changed, and the weights are going to kick back in (have had 2 months off now). Barbell will be ordered, as will some 10kg discs.
Not much more to say at the moment, other than watch this space!

Want some PT? :p ...once you have a job!

Soldato
Mostly so I can help others, but also for feedback, I'd like to show my progress and what I've learned these past 7 months:

This was me in April 2008:

25-04-08_s.jpg

I'd always been chubby as a teenager and soft around the middle as an adult (I'm 29 now).

This is me now (August 2010):

14-08-10.jpg

Although the pictures are over two years apart, they represent about 12 months' progress. If I knew what I do now, I think I could have probably done this in 6 months (I'm saying this so that others can gauge their sense of time).

In my experience, the following are the most important things for both cutting fat and buildng muscle:

1) Time
2) Patience
3) Diet (this is 90% of it) = lots of vegetables and protein.
4) Heavy, compound weights no matter whether you are going for fat loss or muscle gain. (This is the remaining 10%) - e.g. Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength".

The following are things that I used to worry about but have learned that they don't matter or are relatively unimportant:

1) Details - get the main things right and you'll do fine
2) Perfection -a missed meal or workout here or there is nothing as long as you don't make it a habit
3) Meal frequency - once a day, six times a day, whatever - just pick what you prefer
4) Supplements - unnnecessary. I take some for health (fish oil, multivitamin, a little whey protein, creatine when I start to bulk), but for the most part, they are a rip-off in a business run by con artists. It's hard to sort the genuinely helpful ones from the snake oil.
5) Aerobic exercise - I did zero aerobic exercise between those two pics. Sure, it's good for you and highly recommended, but it isn't compulsory to burn fat. Diet is far more important.
6) Isolation exercises - not for beginners. You want to get strong first. To do that, you need squats, benchpress, deadlift, overhead press and bent-over row.

Things that are perhaps unusual about me / my routine:

1) I'm vegetarian but still manage my daily protein intake (more than 1g per lb of bodyweight) - egg whites, cheese, vegetarian alternatives like Quorn or "meat free" meats, whey protein as a supplement, cottage cheese, soy milk

2) I'm really small for a guy (5' 4", current bodyweight 110lb = 50kg = 7st 12lb) - it's amazing how little you weigh when your bodyfat is down low. I will bulk up, but being too fat has always been my problem so I wanted to cut first. The most I've weighed was 10st, but that was around 25% bodyfat...

3) I only eat in the evenings. This is not some magic pill for fat loss or muscle gain, simply that it makes meal preparation easier and I also find I enjoy food a lot more. No matter which meal frequency you pick (as long as it's more than once every 24 hours), your body will get hungry at the time you feed it. It takes about two weeks to adapt from one frequency to another. Your muscles will not "eat themselves" if you don't eat every 3 hours....

Current lifting stats:

Deadlift = 5 x 106kg (2.1 x bodyweight)
Squat = 5 x 93kg (1.9 x BW)
Bench = 5 x 70kg (1.4 x BW)

I also do weighted chins (BW + 18kg) and dips (BW + 26kg) but consider these accessory exercises.

Most important learning resources for me have been:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
http://www.leangains.com/

I hope this is useful for others.

(I've also started a blog on my two favourite hobbies - health and wealth - www.PoundCounter.com - where I hope to post something every day that distills what I'm learning in both nutrition/exercise and finances/economics.)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys im currently in the process of training (been 3 months now) but have absolutely no clue what to eat diet wise are there any set diets you can follow? All I seem to find on the net are crap ideal things that only jamie oliver could make!! I work 10 hours a day 6 days a week and dont have an hour to spend preparing some master dish!!

Ive been cutting down for a year and a bit now and Ive gone from 16st 11ish to 1411ish which is very noticeable!!! Just by avoiding soft drinks and not eating mcdonalds etc!!! Id really like to get down to about 13 1/2 ish of muscle if that makes sense!! (im 6ft2)
Currently training 3 times a week for an hour.

What can you advise diet / exercise wise?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom