OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
Cheers bud. And btw to everyone I work my triceps with chest on monday, usually hit bi's after back on tuesday and hit biceps and triceps on saturday so working arms 3x a week really.

Hmm, I'm actually tempted to do something similar now you've said that. Is it best to hit tri's on a chest day as you'll be using tri's quite a bit as secondary with chest exercises?

Man of Honour
OP
I've always been of the view that chest / bi and back / tri is a good combination - however do what you feel is good.

Ultimately, if you're after big and strong arms, it's all about the triceps. Bis are one of the least functional/important muscles in your arm, but for aesthetics are clearly quite important. The reason why bodybuilders work on them so hard is because they're a hard muscle to build.

Look at quads, they are the equivalent of your triceps - that's why quads tend to be big and powerful, and hamstrings not so much (which are the equivalent of biceps).

It all depends on what you want. :)

Soldato
I'm stil trying to find a routine that works for me you see. Last week I did Triceps with Back on a Monday, and Biceps with my Legs on a Wednesday as I normally only do two exercises for biceps. Nice and quick on the end of a massive leg session. However this resulted in doing Shoulders and Chest on the same day and my God did that kill my shoulders; couldn't lift much weight as they were too fatigued from doing incline barbell.

Soldato
Genetic mate, All to do with the insertions.

That's not what I was explaining, all muscles shapes and sizes are of course to do with genetics (phenotypes to be exact). I was explaining the muscle that was showing. Insertions :confused: Anyway it doesn't matter.

MonKee - I've always believed hitting Chest & Bicep on one day, then back & Tri on another :)

Soldato
Monkee, a split I would recommend would probaly be:

Monday: Quads
Tuesday: Chest Triceps
Wednesday: Rest/Cardio
Thursday: Back & Hams Biceps
Friday: Shoulders Triceps again possibly.
Saturday: Cardio/Rest
Sunday: Repeat / Cardio/Rest.

Monday: Quads
Tuesday: Chest Tris or Bi's
Wednesday: Rest/Cardio
Thursday: Back & Hams Tri's or Bi's
Friday Shoulders
Saturday: Cardio/Rest Tri's & Bi's (calves too?)
Sunday: Repeat / Cardio/Rest.

Could be an idea? Or some variation of those.

Last edited:
Associate
I've always been of the view that chest / bi and back / tri is a good combination - however do what you feel is good.

Ultimately, if you're after big and strong arms, it's all about the triceps. Bis are one of the least functional/important muscles in your arm, but for aesthetics are clearly quite important. The reason why bodybuilders work on them so hard is because they're a hard muscle to build.

Look at quads, they are the equivalent of your triceps - that's why quads tend to be big and powerful, and hamstrings not so much (which are the equivalent of biceps).

It all depends on what you want. :)

THIS !

Bis dont really come into any power movements while strong tri`s will help with heavy bench, bis have always been an after thought for me and same as Freefaller 18 inch plus arms without training bis much at all, gives a far bigger deeper arm, can work on the peak any time.

arms2.png

arms1.png

Please bare i mind i have not trained properly since March this year (roto-cuff injury) so i lost a lot of size which has been replaced with the fat me thinks, and ive only been back training for just over one year.

As i said big tri big bench thats why i can do 180kg bench with legs straight out flat comp lift, not bad at my age.

Soldato
How's something like this:

Monday - Back / Shoulders
Tuesday - Rest / Cardio
Wednesday - Legs / Triceps
Thursday - Rest / Cardio
Friday - Chest / Biceps
Saturday - Rest / Cardio
Sunday - Biceps / Triceps / Calves

That'll keep a day of rest between each arm session. Alternatively I could do back and Triceps on the Monday, then alternate Sunday's session to Sunday/Saturday......?

[Edit] I'm fully away that the bicep is only a third of your arm's muscle mass, and isn't used as much. As such I only really do two exercises for bicep sessions (dumbell curls and preacher curls at the moment), where as I do 4 for tripceps. Not moved on to dips yet though. [/Edit]

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
There's nothing wrong with bicep training - if you're after more shape to them it's your body!!! :) I was just stating my opinion and take on it. :)

Personally I agree, chest and shoulders are hard work and tend not to mix them together.

Soldato
Oh sorry mate I wasn't getting defensive - if anything agreeing with you that I'd rather focus on triceps and do more reps there, than do equal amounts of bi's and tri's. Just missed out a smiley face or two :D

Think the follow would probably agree with me more:
Monday - Back / Triceps
Tuesday - Rest / Cardio
Wednesday - Legs / Shoulders
Thursday - Rest / Cardio
Friday - Chest / Biceps
Saturday - Rest / Cardio
Sunday - Biceps / Triceps / Calves

And when I say 'Rest / Cardio', I may as well just say Rest........... :D

Soldato
Monday - Legs / Shoulders
Tuesday - Back / Triceps
Wednesday -Rest / Cardio
Thursday - Chest / Biceps
Friday - Rest / Cardio
Saturday - Biceps / Triceps / Calves
Sunday - Rest / Cardio

This is probaly how I'd do it. That way you've not smashed your bi's tri's before any pressing/pulling movements. Also got your hardest workout, legs, first so you can give it your all. Also means you've got all the elevated test and GH levels during your other workouts :cool:

Soldato
Cheers Benny, I may give that a try. Was gunna whinge about having a date on Tuesday and the fact I go climbing on a Thursday, but think I'll just man up and work around them! Cheers again for taking the time!

Soldato
been doing this the last couple of weeks;

mon - chest/should
tue - legs
wed - rest
thurs - back/bi
fri - tricep/abs

loving it! Will mix it up again next week, am having a heavy week this heavy and going 8/8/8, i've found that constantly mixing it up and making it fun and not in any constant struggle to try and be 'big' is making it a lot more enjoyable to me.

I started early september trying to put on weight again, was 174lb, and am now sitting at 187lb which i'm over the moon about, aiming for 200lb by end of bulk in feb/march time, one stone to go! :D

Associate
Monday - Legs / Shoulders
Tuesday - Back / Triceps
Wednesday -Rest / Cardio
Thursday - Chest / Biceps
Friday - Rest / Cardio
Saturday - Biceps / Triceps / Calves
Sunday - Rest / Cardio

This is probaly how I'd do it. That way you've not smashed your bi's tri's before any pressing/pulling movements. Also got your hardest workout, legs, first so you can give it your all. Also means you've got all the elevated test and GH levels during your other workouts :cool:

This looks like a fantastic split.. Currently i do

1) Shoulders / legs
2) cardio
3) Chest / Biceps
4) cardio
5) back / tris
6&7 rest

Will have to give Benny's split a go when I'm back to bulking!

Soldato
Zuludawn: couldn't view your pics at work.

Still got plenty of size and look powerful despite your injury/lack of training. You'd look quite impressive even at your current size with sub 12% bodyfat.

Associate
Sunday - Chest
Monday - Cardio/Rest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Bi's/ Tri's
Thursday - Cardio/Rest
Friday - Sholders/ traps
Saturday -Legs

Obviously we all have commitments and responsibilities that have to be met, I may change the day and the rest day. but the structure is awlays the same.

I used to do the Mike Metzner "Heavy Duty" splits (great book by the way) a few years ago.. I made really nice strength gains and was really please.., this current Max OT training that I am doing now has been brilliant. I have seen my strength rocket and within a month I think I will be back to benching around 110 KG and that will make me very happy.

Soldato
ScottFree: Looks alright, though you've got shoulders/traps followed by legs and then chest with no rest. Probaly be okay but quite taxing.

Personally I'm a fan of 2 on 1 off. Gives you a cycle of 6 days assuming you don't want to train bi's/tri's on their own.

However as you say this might not fit in with your comitments, just an idea :)

Soldato
bicep looking great dude!! I hope to has guns like those one day!! Please excuse my ignorance, do your chest/shoulders match upto your arms, relatively speaking? Your arms seem to stick out like a sore thumb :p

zuludawn, looking great dude, I can only hope that one day I lift that amount!

Back
Top Bottom