OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Man of Honour
Most of that looks FAR too light. You can't have been anywhere near failure on any of those days. That, and you shouldn't be doing low rep assistance work (5 rep curls and lateral raises are pointless).

The lack of any leg work OR deadlifts (which you said you did!?!) is shocking.

The problem with you saying that you aren't squatting or doing any leg work due to mobility problems is that you are not qualified to prescribe your own rehab. It's VERY rare for someone to be unable to squat, and if they are, they can always do leg press and single leg work (bulgarian split squats).

This is why you aren't growing - you aren't training hard enough.

Soldato
Phaser.
It took 3 physios across 15 years to diagnose my knee problems as an imbalance of flexibility between my quads and hams.
My last physio put me on a stretching routine, which i was faimliar with and a few 'months' later.....no more pain.
Unbelievable, after all these years and previous physios taping my kneecap in different positions, then wanting to give me keyhole surgery, finally, it was simply down to stretching.

ADVICE: DO NOT give it up dude, persevere with your stretching routine it WILL pay off for you. When my knees hurt, i know why.....its because i've neglected to stretch for a period of time.
Make it 2nd nature and feel the knee pain disappear. Good luck bud :)

Man of Honour
I was referred to physio as a child for tight hamstrings, I was only young though so didn't bother doing the exercises (wish I had now!)

Didn't really think anything of it growing up until last year when I got into lifting weights properly and realised I couldn't physically squat.

I started doing stretches although it was when I got a spare 20 minutes, not a strict routine. Didn't really make any difference so I substituted my squat with the leg press and lunges (realise these aren't as effective).

Fast forward to a few months back where I started getting pain in my knees. Thought I'd overdone it on the leg press, had a month off but was still getting the pains, some days to the point where I couldn't walk. Went to the Doctors who said I should just take ibuprofen everyday (wtf?!). I said I'd prefer to find the root cause and pushed to be referred to physio. Whilst I was there I explained I couldn't squat properly and was it related. He pushed my legs around a bit and said my hips, hamstrings, glutes etc were so tight it was like I had the mobility of a 70 year old with arthritis, and that this was probably causing the knee pain. (Had xrays on both my knee and hip which didn't show anything).

So now I'm doing stretches everyday but 3 weeks on, I've not really noticed any difference.
Go and see a physio!

Read this:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21560529#post21560529

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm retracting any implications of you not training your legs hard enough because it sound like you've had a rough time.

There is no excuse not to be stretching/mobilising and doing whatever you can to reinforce good movement.

Last edited:
Associate

:rolleyes:

I'm open to advice - that's the reason I'm posting everything on here. I know my routine / diet hasn't been amazing which is why I'm trying to take on board what people are saying and move forward.

Most of that looks FAR too light. You can't have been anywhere near failure on any of those days. That, and you shouldn't be doing low rep assistance work (5 rep curls and lateral raises are pointless).

The lack of any leg work OR deadlifts (which you said you did!?!) is shocking.

The problem with you saying that you aren't squatting or doing any leg work due to mobility problems is that you are not qualified to prescribe your own rehab. It's VERY rare for someone to be unable to squat, and if they are, they can always do leg press and single leg work (bulgarian split squats).

This is why you aren't growing - you aren't training hard enough.

That's the thing - whilst I'm lifting I'm actually struggling (yet always manage to complete) - but I don't feel that tired afterwards and I can't remember the last time I ached the next day.

Agree with the leg work. Last week of this program so going forwards I'll definitely add some in, even if it's just leg press / calf raises. I'll also look at the bulgarian split squat and see how I get on.

Man of Honour
Do you notice your knees collapsing when you leg press?

Can you post a video from the front and side of you attempting a bodyweight squat?

Associate
Phaser.
It took 3 physios across 15 years to diagnose my knee problems as an imbalance of flexibility between my quads and hams.
My last physio put me on a stretching routine, which i was faimliar with and a few 'months' later.....no more pain.
Unbelievable, after all these years and previous physios taping my kneecap in different positions, then wanting to give me keyhole surgery, finally, it was simply down to stretching.

ADVICE: DO NOT give it up dude, persevere with your stretching routine it WILL pay off for you. When my knees hurt, i know why.....its because i've neglected to stretch for a period of time.
Make it 2nd nature and feel the knee pain disappear. Good luck bud :)

Cheers mate. Definitely going to keep up the stretching. Just wish I'd have followed it through the first time, might not be in this position now! Will have a look through the thread icecold made too.

Icecold - I am seeing a physio every 2 weeks at the moment. :)

Man of Honour
Intredasting.

Notice how you get much lower on the second rep when you hinge at your hip properly? I don't think you were at end range there either.

Bury yourself in the mobility thread, you look very fixable.

Where do you live?

Associate
The amount of pressure on my lower back / knees made me pretty unstable, wouldn't like to have weight on there too!

I'm gonna get reading up, do you think it'd be worth getting one of those foam rollers too?

I'm up norfffff, Sheffield. :)

Man of Honour
Intredasting.

Notice how you get much lower on the second rep when you hinge at your hip properly? I don't think you were at end range there either.

Bury yourself in the mobility thread, you look very fixable.

Where do you live?

Don't do it, Phaser - it's a trap! :eek:

The amount of pressure on my lower back / knees made me pretty unstable, wouldn't like to have weight on there too!

I'm gonna get reading up, do you think it'd be worth getting one of those foam rollers too?

I'm up norfffff, Sheffield. :)

Foam rollers are almost as good as barbells, to be honest. Get one of those and a mini basketball and go pressure point hunting. :)

Man of Honour
:p

Probably too far North, you're safe ;)

Foam roller, lacross/other hard ball, and a green band from pullum.

Widen your stance and take another video from the front/back.

Back
Top Bottom