OCUK RR 3 - The Thread that will actually get sorted !

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Yea and ontop of that we all figured you must sort your Cambelt, sounded bad!
I am phoning the garage tomorrow.

Reading the mondeo enth. group forums it sounds a common thing to happen with aftermarket belts to loosen a little after initial fitting.

Quite simple to tighten up though :)

Man of Honour
Errr, you used an aftermarket belt, why? Ford belts are cheap, why risk an aftermarket one on perhaps the most crucial consumable on the entire car?

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Errr, you used an aftermarket belt, why? Ford belts are cheap, why risk an aftermarket one on perhaps the most crucial consumable on the entire car?
Well, not entirely sure. I'm just assuming it's aftermarket as when the chap at the garage to phone for a quote he didn't call Ford.

Soldato
Just got back from the garage. Helped/watched the guy do it and I agreed with him that it was the cover at fault and not the belt. The belt seemed very tight and with a tiny amount of slack. He said a tiny (i.e. 1-2mm of movement) is normal and he doesnt want to tighten it anymore as fear of over tightening.

The screw threads in the cover seemed to of been squashed a bit so the cover was sitting to close to the belt. Have put a washer between the cover and the chassis and hopefully this has cured the issue.

Also found out my car was once involved in a nasty smash, I did mention that my front wings were slightly different. Apparently had an impact at the wing, however the car was all repaired by Ford and not my garage, I thought it had been because of the wing, other than that I wouldn't of known.

Soldato
Had a good time, thanks to the orginisers and to fox for leading the convoy there.

Its a shame that we were waiting for people that couldn't be arsed to turn up, like fox said we would have been 3/4 an hour earlier otherwise and we missed a few runs because of it :( We will organise it better next time and if anyone isn't there by the stated time they will have to make their own way... harsh but fair.

There were some really nice cars there but its a shame that powerstations rollers couldn't cope with the power from some of the cars. I think some of the cars could have easily topped 400 brake if they didn't wheelspin so much.

Next time I should be running so make sure you are there to witness the Alfa going bang :p Hopefully next time we won't have such a heart stopping (for me anyway) entrance :D

Oh, Me and Sam got caught in the M4 pile up backlash on the way back, fun fun fun. We were there 3 hours or so, engines getting hotter and hotter and Sams petrol light almost on the reserve.

Caporegime
F355 said:
There were some really nice cars there but its a shame that powerstations rollers couldn't cope with the power from some of the cars.

This is cause they rushed to get the cars run before lunch, if they did it propper and strapped the cars down the rollers would have been fine ;)

Man of Honour
considering its half the price of a normal power run its not too bad a deal, although it would be nice if they could atleast make a token effort to get a decent reading from the higher power cars... would hate to think what would happen at say a SXOC RR day! pretty much every car reading would be skipping!

Caporegime
Yeah i could believe that in 1hr 15mins they had done 14 cars!

Very fast, i think there abouty 8mins difference between the plots. would have been nicer if they went a bit slower, i could have tweaked the map a bit more without rushing back lol

Soldato
My flywheel figure is pretty much spot on.

Bit of investigation revealed the 240bhp I wanted was never going to happen without octane boost to hit 100ron. I should have bought some and chucked it in, 240bhp sounds so much better than 232bhp :o Octane Boost is a bit "Dyno Queen" though isn't it?

I think we should go back there - sure the transmission losses were calculated using "arthur" the lottery machine, but at least there's some element of comparison going back each year.

We do need to do something different though as well as the RR - carting is definately the way forward - it's proper club entertainment but it'd have to be money up front.

Soldato
Carting sounds good fun! Money up fron't woundn't be a problem really might weed out the "I will come if i can be arsed" people :D

Oh and Merlin your car is amazing the white suits it very well. Its a shame I missed your run :(

Soldato
OP
Siliconslave said:
cartings not a bad idea :) does need upfront cashage, but will proberbly be a nightmare getting all the cash together in time for the event :(

im pretty intent on sorting an OCUK Karting Event, however id want to try and find somewhere thats V good and just off the motorway, apparently theres a good place up birmingham way, ill get some details and make some calls...

Soldato
The two places I know of in Brum are Wheels, near M6 J6 (let's see how many people can get lost at Spaghetti :D ), which has a decent outdoor track and the Birmingham Raceway, near M5 J2, which is an indoor circuit. There are probably others though, will ask around as I'm sure some people in the office will know.

Soldato
OP
Bear said:
If we go carting can I have a cart that has about twice the engine size compared to anyone else, so I can keep the same power to weight ratio as some of you thinner guys ;) :D

and theres me thinking i could get away with my power to weight advantage and claim im clearly the most pro driver :D

Caporegime
Conanius said:
im pretty intent on sorting an OCUK Karting Event, however id want to try and find somewhere thats V good and just off the motorway, apparently theres a good place up birmingham way, ill get some details and make some calls...
How about making it good for norther members once in a while ;)

There is the Three Sisters Raceway, just (and i mean literally just) off the M6 at Wigan. Awesome 1KM circuit with prokarts (2 engines) that do 70MPH+ down the straights.

Last time we went with 20+ people it was £50 a head for a grand prix style day, warmup, three heats, and then a final (A or B depending on where you qualified due to the heats).

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Any garage, other than a stealership would put an aftermarket belt on due to the discount availible at their regular motorfactors, unless you specified otherwise, I should imagine.

I agree with merlin about the method of generating the flywheel figures, very iffy indeed!

I'd be well up for the carting too :D

Soldato
OP
paradigm said:
How about making it good for norther members once in a while ;)

There is the Three Sisters Raceway, just (and i mean literally just) off the M6 at Wigan. Awesome 1KM circuit with prokarts (2 engines) that do 70MPH+ down the straights.

Last time we went with 20+ people it was £50 a head for a grand prix style day, warmup, three heats, and then a final (A or B depending on where you qualified due to the heats).

and in a nutshell, you've prooved why its impossible to please all :)

wigan is far too far north for the people on the south coast + exeter areas, wheras birmingham is reasonable central :)

Three sisters is where I did my race driving qualification, awesome circuit :)

Back
Top Bottom