• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4060 review thread

Soldato
Need to see more reviews with dlss3 in use. Jays preview with cyberpunk has me impressed with the tech. I was the sort of guy that would say no to any sort of upscaling but having used dlss2 first hand i have it enabled in every game i have that supports it on quality mode even if its locked on vsync at 60fps, dlss on just drops power consumption at that point lowering fan noise and heat.

But no one has shown what happens if dlss3 frame gen is enabled at as native 30fps to bring it up to 50+ fps, thats where it would be great, since i play with vsync on at 60fps i dont see the point in frame generation to just go above 60fps unless you have a high refresh monitor?

Soldato
OP
Need to see more reviews with dlss3 in use. Jays preview with cyberpunk has me impressed with the tech. I was the sort of guy that would say no to any sort of upscaling but having used dlss2 first hand i have it enabled in every game i have that supports it on quality mode even if its locked on vsync at 60fps, dlss on just drops power consumption at that point lowering fan noise and heat.

But no one has shown what happens if dlss3 frame gen is enabled at as native 30fps to bring it up to 50+ fps, thats where it would be great, since i play with vsync on at 60fps i dont see the point in frame generation to just go above 60fps unless you have a high refresh monitor?

Because frame generation actually is better at higher FPS. At lower FPS it introduces more latency and other issues,since you are actively moving the camera around. Daniel Owen covers it in his reviews - the reality is the RTX4060 is really the RTX3050 replacement upsold a tier,so the low power consumption is not a plus - it's an indication of how much Nvidia is ripping off people this generation. The rubbish pricing of the RTX4060 also means the RX7600 which really should have been a £200 RX7500XT, made on a cheaper TSMC 6NM process, with more optimised clockspeeds(which would push power down a lot),was overclocked to match it.

Utter trash for the price is what both the RTX4060 and RX7600 are. I would rather have an RX6600 at under £200,if power bills are a problem(can be pushed down to 95W),and an RTX3060 or RX6700XT 12GB above £200,and set custom voltage/frequency curves to optimise power consumption. The 8GB framebuffer is going to be a disaster as time progresses.

Got pulled?
Maybe,but I can't believe in 2023,we are having newly released cards between £260~£400 still with only 8GB VRAM when VRAM prices have collapsed.

Last edited:
Soldato

Surely the opposite is the case?
When a card is already doing 60+ FPS then faking it with extra generated frames can make it look better as latency as 60+ is not such a huge issue.
Faking from 30 into 60 means they eyes seems one thing, but the whole response cycles is based on 30FPS and DLSS3 cannot change that. If anything it can only add latency:
#1 real
#2 fake
#3 real
if you response is at #1 then you have had one frame of things going in the wrongly predicted direct (#2) and your brain/eyes have to readjust at #3.

Like speculative execution and brand prediction, getting things wrong can have a huge penalty. Cannot see a way around that.

Associate
If its a software feature then it should work on cards like the gtx 780?

DLSS runs on the Tensor cores so will not work on any card below a 2060 iirc.

Atrocious pricing for all the current gen cards and with the RX 6600 available for £180 that is the clear choice if you want a budget card. 6700xt is great for mid tier card but not many good value choices other than those cards.

Soldato
If its a software feature then it should work on cards like the gtx 780?
What, why should it work on a GTX 780? That's like saying AVX-512 should work on a 486 or x86 should work on ARM.

The reviews are about the hardware that is the RTX 4060, not about the software.

Last edited:
Soldato
What, why should it work on a GTX 780? That's like saying AVX-512 should work on a 486 or x86 should work on ARM.

The reviews are about the hardware that is the RTX 4060, not about the software.
Wouldn't that be more of a software review, DLSS is basically software that tries to makeup for the shortcomings of hardware and it's not even supported in all games.

Your posts seem to be contradicting each other?

Soldato
Your posts seem to be contradicting each other?
Not sure why you think there's a contradiction, i would say that maybe you should explain why but TBH I, like it seems a growing number of people, simply don't care enough any more about what Nvidia are releasing. At least before people cared enough to get annoyed/angry. Now as Linus said apathy has set in and that's a very dangerous position for Nvidia (and to a lesser extent AMD before all the hate) to find themselves in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom