• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4060 review thread

Soldato
Reviews aa expected really, I need nVidia card for productivity work in my ITX so think I'll just pick up a second hand 3060 12GB and undervolt it.

I have one and it's perfectly fine in DeVinci Resolve if you don't render above 1080p. It's quicker than you think.

Associate
as soon as nvidia tried getting youtubers to do the shill pre release piece i knew it was going to be nother turd of a card, they just wanted the shillery to be what people remember and not another series of reviews saying overpriced and underperforms

Soldato
I have one and it's perfectly fine in DeVinci Resolve if you don't render above 1080p. It's quicker than you think.

Yeah I'm starting to dabble in video editing now and will be giving Davinci a go, finishing my 13600K build on Friday and don't have any GPU yet.

Nvidia meant to be the better choice in those kinds of tasks, otherwise I'd happily snap up something from AMD. Doing my best to vote with my wallet in this scenario and loathe to give them money for this generation of cards.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'm starting to dabble in video editing now and will be giving Davinci a go, finishing my 13600K build on Friday and don't have any GPU yet.

Nvidia meant to be the better choice in those kinds of tasks, otherwise I'd happily snap up something from AMD. Doing my best to vote with my wallet in this scenario and loathe to give them money for this generation of cards.
If I may, whilst I only have the free version of resolve, I use it on 2 systems, a Mac air M1 and pc with a 3070ti.

In the same settings for a 4k render, the Mac is 3 times faster, the 3070ti yields 30isj FPS and the Mac 90ish, this is all in the free version using h.265.

You may want to look at a Mac mini instead which I've seen for £599.

Soldato
If I may, whilst I only have the free version of resolve, I use it on 2 systems, a Mac air M1 and pc with a 3070ti.

In the same settings for a 4k render, the Mac is 3 times faster, the 3070ti yields 30isj FPS and the Mac 90ish, this is all in the free version using h.265.

You may want to look at a Mac mini instead which I've seen for £599.

Yeah something I've looked at, but I do also want a system for catching up with some gaming over last few years. Should I get serious and really get into video editing then Apple is a potential route down the line as Minis seem almost a bargain for that kind of thing.

Associate

I use resolve with a 5600XT in 4k. only time I have to lower timeline resolution is if I really hammer the fancy effects. If you are using the fancy effects then you really want a powerful GPU.

Caporegime

35 - 46 FPS at 1440P

When Nvidia say 2X as fast as consoles what they mean is with DLSS3 Frame Gen.

Look, Nvidia are selling cards that are weak in performance, the RX 7600 beats it quite a lot of the time, for a high price because DLSS is supposed to make up the rest of the performance, yes we have got to the stage now where DLSS is part of the performance metric of the product and its price is calculated based on that.

Congratulations, we turned Nvidia in to something worse than Apple.

People like Hardware Unboxed are doing an ok job of being critical of Nvidia, they do try, but they keep making the same mistakes, they keep arguing that AMD should be priced less than the value Nvidia put on DLSS, this is why they are not happy with a GPU that's 30% faster than the EOL card its replaced while also 20% cheaper.
In any reasonable world that is good, but because HUB seem to be valuing DLSS at about 1/3 of the value of Nvidia GPU's, so if its $300 then the equivalent AMD GPU should be $200.

This is a childs logic, a child who has no understanding of what the concept of money actually is, someone who doesn't understand that for AMD to get a product to market it costs them money, so if they sell a product for $200 that's not $200 in their pocket.
Its in this way that even those critical of Nvidia are still justifying a monetary value on DLSS, and quite a high one, so even Nvidia themselves are like "well hang on a minute, you keep telling people to buy our cards because AMD don't have DLSS so you agree it has added value" and Nvidia are not wrong. They do agree.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Apple do what they do because they know they have the largest market share who are loyal to them pretty much no matter what.

The only way that will change is if people divorce their relationship with Apple.

Associate
Apple do what they do because they know they have the largest market share who are loyal to them pretty much no matter what.

The only way that will change is if people divorce their relationship with Apple.
I mean, outside gaming, nothing on the pc side touches a Mac mini.

Apple does price high but products deliver, people also hold into their devices for a long time, that maintain a long support for their devices as well.

When you deliver on a service which I rate Apple highly on, why would anyone look elsewhere

Caporegime
I mean, outside gaming, nothing on the pc side touches a Mac mini.

Apple does price high but products deliver, people also hold into their devices for a long time, that maintain a long support for their devices as well.

When you deliver on a service which I rate Apple highly on, why would anyone look elsewhere

My PC is 4X as powerful as an acquaintances MAC, in many ways even more, which cost 2X as much, its a nice looking machine, sure, but so is mine, just in a different way.

I also don't see Apple phones any better than an Android phone, there are some really nice Android phones that don't cost $1,000.

Last edited:
Caporegime
MAC's use the same stuff in PC's and Android phones, other than these days at least the chip, which isn't any better than anything you get off the shelf anyway, they used to use off the shelf Intel CPU's, pretty average ones in £3,000 machines.

Last edited:
Associate
My PC is 4X as powerful as an acquaintances MAC, in many ways even more, which cost 2X as much, its a nice looking machine, sure, but so is mine, just in a different way.

I also don't see Apple phones any better than an Android phone, there are some really nice Android phones that don't cost $1,000.
Ok, in resolve, my MacBook air M1 renders 3 x faster in 4k with same settings then my pc with a 3070ti.

This is repeatable, explain how your pc is 4x more powerful

You can also get iPhones under £1000 when they release, you are only looking at the max editions.

Soldato
That ^^^ is why Nvidia was so surprised at the negative reaction of the 4060Ti. Its not difficult to understand.
Personally i think they were so surprised because they've put a higher, much higher, price on that than their customers have.

e: Personally speaking, because of the limited support for it (sure a lot of triple a games use it but we're still only talking about, maybe, less than 1% of new games), I'd put a £20-30 premium on it whereas it seems Nvidia put something like £100-150 price on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Public's reception of the 4060

286637263a64f183f9d756358ff5bdf328ef791811d5bdefaf273947ce3d883f.gif

Soldato
Ok, in resolve, my MacBook air M1 renders 3 x faster in 4k with same settings then my pc with a 3070ti.

This is repeatable, explain how your pc is 4x more powerful

You can also get iPhones under £1000 when they release, you are only looking at the max editions.

imo you have better options with Android heres an example I can buy Xiaomi 13 Ultra 5G Dual SIM 12GB/256GB for
£766.49 https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_13_ultra-12236.php

or Oneplus 11 £500

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom