• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

If I was in the market for a graphics card (I am sort of, but getting a gaming laptop instead of discrete gpu for a standalone PC), then I'd be turned off by the 4080 entirely. As Gamers Nexus said, the performance for the price is so stagnant that it's relatively not even an improvement on the old cards when it comes to performance for price (especially if you focused on original rrp). For me the whole presentation was poor, we had DLSS3 which introduces latency and feels like they stalled updated on other gpu's just to temp you to get it. It wasn't a big win because latency + it being a mere iteration on previous software means you had good enough DLSS on other cards anyway. RTX remix was the highlight but it's another case of pie in the sky marketing that will land on earth closer to the time the next set of cards come out. Not many games will use it in the mean time, impressive but sadly sparse offerings cannot justify stupid pricing.

I'm not quite desperate enough to let people play a con on me just because it suits them. Nvidia was drip feeding cards and charging higher just for the sake of it to make the original price of old cards look better because they wanted to con anyone buying old or new. Basically paying a premium for old or new regardless. The whole system is rigged on the Nvidia side and you'd be stupid not to see it, I wouldn't mind if people bought the cards but was still willing to hand nivida a pr loss by review bombing and voicing out against their bad practices but some are so hell bent on being uninformed consumers that they shill a literal rip off that all evidence shows is a terrible value card. That's all just talking pure Nvidia and not getting partial to any other side but the obvious elephant in the room (for anyone who is not so completely biased that they are irked at any suggestions) is that the AMD cards are going to be out in no time and offer better value. Perfect time to get a performance boost and not help put the resistance against Nvidia's destroying the gaming scene. Even the clowns moaning that AMD have raised their prices will ignore the obvious answer to how this game goes, if Nvidia eventually is forced to drop their prices then so would AMD and it'd go in cycle to keep the industry in the right place. Instead of going on the other cycle of Nvidia keep pricing ever higher to those not bright enough to see what is happening.

best nvidia card i have had so far was the msi ftx1080ti gaming which i bought for £844.00 in 2017 and used till april 2021 when i got my msi rtx3080 suprim x i ignored the 20 series as they appeared to be slower thatan my 1080ti in games etc. but i agree with all comments here the rtx4080 is far too pricey and does not fit the job that it is supposed to do. so i will give it a miss.

The problem is, that even though the 7900's may be cheaper (MSRP anyway - AIB will be >$1000) and have comparable/better performance to the 4080, I think the prices are still much too high on the AMD cards to sway (many) potential customers that haven't bought into AMD before.

I think you are probably right.

Also, you know I suddenly realised after I said that "NVIDIA already ordered too many 40 series", that this probably explains their pricing. What do you do if you order a ton of chips from TSMC and the mining market collapses? Well, you have to sell what think you are going to sell at a much higher profit margin to cover the chips you aren't going sell. The only problem is, of course, that this strategy relies on the stupid consumers actually paying the higher prices. How's that going, NVIDIA?

All reviews should have been :

-Garbage
-1/10
-Trash

Etc. At least until they dropped prices by at least 300€.

But no, reviewers love their free **** and are very careful not to hurt Nvidia’s feefees lolol

No. I would never take such a review or reviewer seriously. The 4080 is not trash. What it is, is it's a poor value in the current environment. And will (likely) be even a much poorer value in 3 weeks when the 7900 line launches (assuming AMD hasn't scuffed the preliminary numbers or launch supply).

Last edited:
No. I would never take such a review or reviewer seriously. The 4080 is not trash. What it is, is it's a poor value in the current environment. And will (likely) be even a much poorer value in 3 weeks when the 7900 line launches (assuming AMD hasn't scuffed the preliminary numbers or launch supply).

Exactly. The card is very good. The problem is the price makes the card poor.

I'm not really buying the whole '4080 pricing is to drive people towards the 4090 or 30-series' argument we've been hearing. That may have been the desired outcome but I guarantee you Jensen didn't want 4080's sat on shelves (especially not the Founder's Editions). That's cancer to the board partners and retailers. Neither are going to want to make a loss on these things and if retailers have cards they can't sell they're going to stop ordering cards. Nvidia already has a glut of 30-series, the last thing they want is the same thing with the 40-series.

To me it looks like price cuts to the 30-series and 4080 are inevitable - they've tried everything else and it's just not working.
People spending over 1k were likely going to go for the 4090 anyway so I doubt the 4080 has drove them towards it but rather has just reaffirmed it as the card is so weak in comparison that it's not a viable alternative.

The market segment for a card like the 4080 is in the £600-800 price bracket and those people are looking for good performance but also value for money so are just not going to pay £500-700 more.

If nvidia want to sell a card at this price they should have just went for a cut down 4090 on a 102 die and named it a 4080ti but I guess they didn't want to lose 4090 sales, in essence they wanted to have their cake and eat but instead are getting their just deserts.

Pointless card that’s why. As mentioned, the card is priced silly, most that are able and willing to spend that kind of money would pay the extra and go 4090. Probably what Nvidia wanted anyway. Once sales dry up and Ampere cards all sold, this will be Jensen after dropping the price:

raw

He would have got rid of all Ampere stock almost full price and sold loads of cards for £1700+ :cry:

Considering the climate it will be:

tenor.gif

I'm not really buying the whole '4080 pricing is to drive people towards the 4090 or 30-series' argument we've been hearing. That may have been the desired outcome but I guarantee you Jensen didn't want 4080's sat on shelves (especially not the Founder's Editions). That's cancer to the board partners and retailers. Neither are going to want to make a loss on these things and if retailers have cards they can't sell they're going to stop ordering cards. Nvidia already has a glut of 30-series, the last thing they want is the same thing with the 40-series.

To me it looks like price cuts to the 30-series and 4080 are inevitable - they've tried everything else and it's just not working.
Probably cos its too late to backtrack now on his statement that moores law is dead, he's gonna ride it out regardless of the shame and embarrassment cos it will be even more embarrassing now to radically drop prices.

You know if the 4080 FE was around £800 I'd get it without question and sell the 3080 Ti FE which would mean I'd only have paid an extra ~£300 on top which is fine by me to add some future proofing and allow me to increase that RTSS 120fps cap I currently have as I like to game with all settings max and RT on. Going by newest reviews, the 4080 is a healthy sum faster than the 3080 Ti at 2560x1440, so will still be a good deal faster at my res 3440x1440:

Last edited:
Nvidia told us they would do this. They said the prices would remain high until the 3xxx series sold out. If you are looking for a GPU, just wait. Once the 3xxx series are gone the prices of the Nvidia cards will fall. Don't forget, After the 13th of December they will have pressure from AMD too.

We know the 4070Ti will launch on January the5th. I am guessing here, but I think it will launch at $699, maybe $749 with the 4080 dropping down to $899.

With the 4060 supposedly releasing at $399 that would leave the 4070 somewhere between $499 and $549.

I don't see them reducing the price of the 4090 at all.

Don't know if my figures are correct. As I said, I am just guessing. I think a lot depends on how well the AMD release goes. That's why I think they will wait until January before announcing any price drops. The better the AMD release goes, the bigger the price drop, but no matter how well it goes, I don't see them going much under $899 for the 4080.

The better the AMD release goes, the bigger the price drop, but no matter how well it goes, I don't see them going much under $899 for the 4080.
My prediction - between 4080 and 4090 raster performance, 30-series RT performance, reviewers will praise the competition but say they're still not good value (which they won't be) and express concerns about MSRP availability and AIB pricing.

I don't think making a choice at this price-point is going to be any easier after the AMD cards launch and the only 'sensible' (clown world, I know) purchase will still be the 4090.

Back
Top Bottom