• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Caporegime
I've been looking at the 7700 XT but thinking i don't want a dual fan one (Sapphire Pulse) then i looked more closely at the review.

Turns out the Sapphire Pulse is actually really good, at 26.3db under load its very quiet, for reference anything under 30db is near inaudible, 30db is a quiet whisper from 2m away, temps are 61c and 85c Hotspot, that's up there with the best and it overclocks like a champ.....
It also has quick release fans for easy cleaning, i like that.
I think Sapphire have the right idea here, the Pulse has always been a very strong seller and i think its because its a well made capable GPU with no frills for MSRP, i've seen them for £430.

Good job Sapphire, others could learn a lot from you, if people want to spend 20% over MSRP for a fancy one they will do that but why do the base models have to be crap? (looking at you Gainward) Sapphire proves they don't.

eIRUewD.jpg

aXlowQN.png

Last edited:
Associate
Wonder how a madly overclocked 7800XT compares to a 6950XT in terms of power usage, especially 20ms spikes?

Very well, going by the power consumptions numbers seen here. Obviously these are not OC'd stats, but I think it is fair to assume they'd be in-line with non OC power numbers.

Roughly 90w better 20ms spikes, and 60w max.

What could turn out to be a great selling point for the new Radeons is their overclocking potential. We've achieved a +15% real-life performance improvement, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time. While overclocking is fairly complicated (a step-by-step guide is on the OC page), the gains are pretty spectacular and you'll be able to get quite close to RTX 4070 Ti performance levels, especially on the custom designs.

Not bad considering a comparable 4070ti costs £300-400 more...and I am rubbing my eyes here, the 4070ti only has 12GB VRAM !!! - NOOOO I thought they went up to 16Gb withthe ti, with the 70 at 12GB But no! :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
7800XT pulse ordered for £463 - I wanted OcUK to drop their 7900XT to £699 as I would have just about stretched my budget but I the 7800XT price couldn't be resisted
Are you 100% sure that Starfield is included?

I'm in the same position regarding the 7900XT at OCUK, but this 7800XT deal is too good.

Soldato

Very well, going by the power consumptions numbers seen here. Obviously these are not OC'd stats, but I think it is fair to assume they'd be in-line with non OC power numbers.

Roughly 90w better 20ms spikes, and 60w max.

What could turn out to be a great selling point for the new Radeons is their overclocking potential. We've achieved a +15% real-life performance improvement, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time. While overclocking is fairly complicated (a step-by-step guide is on the OC page), the gains are pretty spectacular and you'll be able to get quite close to RTX 4070 Ti performance levels, especially on the custom designs.

Not bad considering a comparable 4070ti costs £300-400 more...and I am rubbing my eyes here, the 4070ti only has 12GB VRAM !!! - NOOOO I thought they went up to 16Gb withthe ti, with the 70 at 12GB But no! :cry:
I'm well aware that W1zzard over at TPU does the spike measurements in all GPUs reviews now. A few other sites do too.
But none AFAIK give the overclocked usage and spikes data. Since the 6950 XT was mostly an overclocked 6900 XT and had way worse power spikes:
jNIO1DE.png

That's the 20ms spikes from TPU's original 6950 reference review, so overclocking can make a huge difference.

The mad spike of the 6950 is mostly why I ruled them out no matter how tempting one for £500 inc. Starfield was.

Associate
I'm well aware that W1zzard over at TPU does the spike measurements in all GPUs reviews now. A few other sites do too.
But none AFAIK give the overclocked usage and spikes data. Since the 6950 XT was mostly an overclocked 6900 XT and had way worse power spikes:
jNIO1DE.png

That's the 20ms spikes from TPU's original 6950 reference review, so overclocking can make a huge difference.

The mad spike of the 6950 is mostly why I ruled them out no matter how tempting one for £500 inc. Starfield was.

Yes as I said they're the non OC numbers, so fair to assume the 7800XT would spike OC'D considrable less than OC'D 7950XT would. Nitro+ is obviously cheaper, it's new tech, the efficiency is better and I think even without a mad OC, in time, it won't be far off 6950XT performance. The RT will be better and it is likely the FSR3 (if that intrests you) will also be better.

AMD cards tend to improve quite a lot over time, so i'm struggling to find a reason to snap a 6950XT up this late in the game. Also @ 1440p i'll cap FPS at 144 anyway, so any extra initial stock 6950XT v 7800XT stock performance over that threashold is going to be wasted frames anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom