• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
OP
No. Because they think GPUs are completely unattached to reality. The entitlement is real.

Yes Nvidia and AMD have totally detached themselves from reality and their entitlement for mining and pandemic pricing is real.

Also energy prices in Asia are fine because they don't give a **** about buying cheap oil and gas from Russia.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah true no hint could suspect any profiteering going on . lets go with that

That was happening during C-vid.

See, this is something else people are conveniently forgetting. So yeah, the RRP of the 6800XT was £649 right? no, not in reality it wasn't. It was more like £900, if you could even find one. I could probably count the forum members here who got one for RRP on one hand. And like I said, it required commitment. Like, insane levels of commitment that quite frankly I just could not be ersed with. I had better things to do than camp at my computer.

The 6800XT and 6950XT and so on have only been available for less than that for about 3 months. Literally 3 months, that's it. At the beginning of this year they still made your bum bleed. I got a 6800XT exactly one year ago when I came back from holiday from here B grade (Strix LC) and like the 6700XT I bought ages ago I thought I had won the lottery.

Especially when you consider a 2080ti was what? £1500? for a decent model? before the rona and mining and god knows what else that have all driven the prices on everything to insane, "Not seen since the 1970s" level.

Associate
Go buy a 4070 12GB then and be happy. Or are you only angry at AMD because you were hoping for much lower prices to force Nvidia in to a price war?

It's not a great release but not horrible, the only saving grace is they have lowered the MSRP for this level of performance. That of course is only if you ignore the EOL prices for other AMD cards. Can I ask if you were this angry at the Nvidia 40x0 release prices and lack of EOL prices for the 30x0 GPUs?

I never said that nVidia had good prices now did I.

The 4070 should be £450 and the 7800XT should be £400 due to the inferior feature set.

Soldato
That was happening during C-vid.

See, this is something else people are conveniently forgetting. So yeah, the RRP of the 6800XT was £649 right? no, not in reality it wasn't. It was more like £900, if you could even find one. I could probably count the forum members here who got one for RRP on one hand. And like I said, it required commitment. Like, insane levels of commitment that quite frankly I just could not be ersed with. I had better things to do than camp at my computer.

The 6800XT and 6950XT and so on have only been available for less than that for about 3 months. Literally 3 months, that's it. At the beginning of this year they still made your bum bleed. I got a 6800XT exactly one year ago when I came back from holiday from here B grade (Strix LC) and like the 6700XT I bought ages ago I thought I had won the lottery.

Especially when you consider a 2080ti was what? £1500? for a decent model? before the rona and mining and god knows what else that have all driven the prices on everything to insane, "Not seen since the 1970s" level.

I bought 3080 FE during peak covid for £649 didnt need to be camped front of computer just set alert for when dropped on phone and used phone to order , also got the 3060ti at msrp using friends info

Soldato
Yes Nvidia and AMD have totally detached themselves from reality and their entitlement for mining and pandemic pricing is real.

Also energy prices in Asia are fine because they don't give a **** about buying cheap oil and gas from Russia.

Even though I have showed you how a 7700XT is cheaper with inflation and all that is going on than a 970. The 980? RRP was $500.

Given Gibbo used to say "We try and keep the £ prices the same as $ ones because we have to add 20% VAT" (yes, I have the memory of an albino elephant) let's assume you paid £500 for one. As quite a few people did.

IUKoMwS.png

And there you have it. A 7800XT can be had for £479, on launch day.

Nvidia hiked up their % during mining yes. However, it was already at an all time high. They STILL have not reduced prices, due to Jen refusing to drop their profit margins after mining died. I would imagine that is because they simply don't care.

However. Like I said, let's just say the 7700XT is the 970. It has less VRAM than the 7800XT, so for me that is totally apples to apples with the 970 and 980, only the 7800XT is way faster than the 7700XT and thus 980 given that the 980 was barely any faster than the 970. You then need to factor in the 980Ti which was how much? about £600? and the Titan X which was £929 to the penny. Which is where, to me at least, the 7900XT and 7900XTX come in.

TBH? I don't care what Nvidia are doing and I don't even factor them into this because we are not talking about Nvidia. That is another thread, with at least £200 per card added on top. We are talking about AMD, and the 7700XT and 7800XT. It's not even like I am calling them amazing, or killer, or ETC. I am simply saying I think they are good cards. Not great ones, not brilliant, not cheap. However, I still think they are quite possibly the best thing to happen that you can actually buy on launch day since the 10 series.

Because let's face it, whether you like that or not? are facts.

Please, don't fall into the whining addict category. I know how easy that is. At some point you just need to accept what has happened over the past few years, how absolutely everything now costs way more, and just put up with it. It's life. Maybe I am bless by beginning my life in the early years of the 70s when we really had absolutely F all but a conker and a bit of string.

Soldato
I bought 3080 FE during peak covid for £649 didnt need to be camped front of computer just set alert for when dropped on phone and used phone to order , also got the 3060ti at msrp using friends info

Then you were extremely lucky.

The reason people started moaning about GPU prices was because they were all being scalped, along with everything else no one really truly needed, but desperately wanted when they could not go outside.

Soldato
The bigger question is why the UK is being dunked on again? Hardly any stock from lots of huge retailers.

I could have bought ten by now dude. It's the first time a new launch has happened in ruddy ages (apart from the ludicrous 40 series, and even the 4090 sold out a few times) that I could do that.

Serious man, stop moaning. It's really not good for you.

I mean, I don't want you to be as positive as a American and wish every one a nice day and all but really.....

Soldato
OP
Then you were extremely lucky.

The reason people started moaning about GPU prices was because they were all being scalped, along with everything else no one really truly needed, but desperately wanted when they could not go outside.

AMD abandoned the UK market during the pandemic. They didn't even sell the reference models at rrp here. Nvidia did. I know
Even though I have showed you how a 7700XT is cheaper with inflation and all that is going on than a 970. The 980? RRP was $500.

Given Gibbo used to say "We try and keep the £ prices the same as $ ones because we have to add 20% VAT" (yes, I have the memory of an albino elephant) let's assume you paid £500 for one. As quite a few people did.

IUKoMwS.png

And there you have it. A 7800XT can be had for £479, on launch day.

Nvidia hiked up their % during mining yes. However, it was already at an all time high. They STILL have not reduced prices, due to Jen refusing to drop their profit margins after mining died. I would imagine that is because they simply don't care.

However. Like I said, let's just say the 7700XT is the 970. It has less VRAM than the 7800XT, so for me that is totally apples to apples with the 970 and 980, only the 7800XT is way faster than the 7700XT and thus 980 given that the 980 was barely any faster than the 970. You then need to factor in the 980Ti which was how much? about £600? and the Titan X which was £929 to the penny. Which is where, to me at least, the 7900XT and 7900XTX come in.

TBH? I don't care what Nvidia are doing and I don't even factor them into this because we are not talking about Nvidia. That is another thread, with at least £200 per card added on top. We are talking about AMD, and the 7700XT and 7800XT. It's not even like I am calling them amazing, or killer, or ETC. I am simply saying I think they are good cards. Not great ones, not brilliant, not cheap. However, I still think they are quite possibly the best thing to happen that you can actually buy on launch day since the 10 series.

Because let's face it, whether you like that or not? are facts.

Please, don't fall into the whining addict category. I know how easy that is. At some point you just need to accept what has happened over the past few years, how absolutely everything now costs way more, and just put up with it. It's life. Maybe I am bless by beginning my life in the early years of the 70s when we really had absolutely F all but a conker and a bit of string.

UK inflation is irrelevant. They are made in Asia where all the costs have gone down. Lots of other parts and items like phones and tvs have gone down. They use the same factories and nodes.

Don't get swayed by the tech industry billion usd marketing budgets.

This is how Nvidia tried the crap with doubling prices with the first Titan and then the same with Turing and speople on forums defended it due to "costs". Because rumour sites released some nonsense "leak" blaming 28nm costs.

Yet their margins went up a lot. So it's all mostly pr stuff because they know they have a captive market.

Soldato
You don't get why age matters and you are into technology?

Sheesh bro.

Does a three year old model phone cost as much as a brand new just released one? or a three year old car?
Yes I don't get why age matters - why does it matter if a new in box item manufactured in the last couple of months is the previous generation if it has the better performance/ features noise and stuff/ lifespan to price ratio i.e. value? What inherent value does a new design have that doesn't fit into the above categories? A GPU is a logical decision (beyond AMD Vs NV mindsets...) so there must be some tangible benefit to being a 'new design' in your opinion. How much is that worth, what price does the 6800XT have to be to be equal to the £480 7800XT?

I don't know if phones are a fair comparison? How much is a Pixel 7a Vs a pixel 6 Pro if that exists, maybe they cost the same today, but what is the performance difference? Do phones have as granular performance levels / specs that can be compared and shuffle down the product spec over time like GPUs do?

You mention short memories somewhere above. I get annoyed at cards like this because I remember when the new card was cheaper and faster than the card it replaced, generally from the Nvidia 8000 series in 2006 through to the 1000 series in 2016. With a few outliers, a direct comparison - the 9800GT was basically the same as the 8800GT with a few new features and a die shrink, and the difference is the reviews were meh about it at the time.

It seems today that won't or can't happen any more as we reach a ceiling of what graphics cards can do / silicon / power and thermal limits and we just have to expect the same performance at a lower price. Ok fine - but it's annoying that reviewers just praise the cards regardless.

Soldato
AMD abandoned the UK market during the pandemic. They didn't even sell the reference models at rrp here. Nvidia did. I know

UK inflation is irrelevant. They are made in Asia where all the costs have gone down. Lots of other parts and items like phones and tvs have gone down. They use the same factories and nodes.

Don't get swayed by the tech industry billion usd marketing budgets.

This is how Nvidia tried the crap with doubling prices with the first Titan and then the same with Turing and speople on forums defended it due to "costs". Because rumour sites released some nonsense "leak" blaming 28nm costs.

Yet their margins went up a lot. So it's all mostly pr stuff because they know they have a captive market.

The costs on these have gone down. I mean really, they have.

Yes their margins have gone up. Have you wondered why? let me tell you.

I read a market analysis on Polaris. They almost made it to 30% market share. Which was an all time high, since they were ATI. The problem? they were not making any money. Sure, they were bringing users onboard and gaining numbers, but numbers don't pay the bills unless they equate to money. And at the prices Polaris launched? they just were not making any profit.

AMD as a company has changed a lot since then. Ryzen and so on has transformed them. So, they are no longer desperate. You know? which is fair enough. They no longer have to sell cheap erse CPUs where they have to leave cores in for people to unlock, and barely scrape by. Because you know? it is a business afterall.

YES ! they have increased their profit margin. HOWEVER, they have not increased it as much as Nvidia, and they are still way cheaper £ per perf than Nvidia. The reason? Nvidia have finally found an alternative market in which to sell their GPUs, so they truly don't give a flying about any one who plays games any more. In gaming? Nvidia are gone. Dead, over, finished. They are making so much money out of AI that they would be stupid as a working business to focus anywhere else. Let's not forget Fermi nearly broke them. Now? they are cutting their own AIB's throats selling FE which they started doing on Fermi because they had to. Now? you either brown nose them and suck up and take one in the jacksie to sell their GPUs or you do what EVGA did and decline.

That is all just how it is. Lisa Su made it quite clear that if they were going to bother making GPUs any more? that it needed to be profitable, because before it just wasn't. At all. And when you are a power house like AMD now are? that doesn't look good. Not for you or your share holders.

I did not defend Turing. What I said at that time my friend was this. "Turing is just Pascal with RT crap bolted on that I don't want and am not interested in". I also said "If you think prices are not going to soar because of this you are mad. Kepler was the polar opposite, and returned back to tiny dies that clock balls. GAMING GPUs".

I was right. Large monolithic dies = expensive. The thing is? even though the slow ones at the back thought they were doing it all for us as gamers and wow RT and all that? they WERE NOT. For over a decade Nvidia needed a new way to market and sell their GPUs. They tried over and over to invent silly things, ventured into many other markets, tried to buy ARM and so on. They failed. Now? they have found that direction and it sure AF is not gaming. To them? we are now a boil on their backside.

Look dude. No one NEEDS a 4090. Lots of people panic bought them at launch because of the way things had been. Now? I can go anywhere and get one.

All gamers need is a half decent GPU that can run all of their games. You know? kinda like the 7700XT and 7800XT. That don't cost a fortune* and can run games at a fair clip**

* I have shown you how they both cost less and significantly less than Maxwell with inflation added.
** anything over 60 FPS at max settings is more than good enough, unless you load up on energy drinks, are 16 and play Esports titles. In which case you will drop settings in order to feed your taurine addiction.

It will not change, and depending on how you look at it it will not get "better". Because of a simple fact. When something is popular and sells in vast numbers? it costs more money. End of. Why? I never quite understood. I mean, you would think that less sales = higher prices? I know, daft of me to say but there you go. Unfortunately like any other thing in life the more things sell the higher the prices go. Sure, a lot of PC part prices have collapsed. But GPUs have not. And, the reason for that? since the consoles went X86 PC gaming is the most popular it has been in about 15 years. And that means more sales = higher prices as I said above.

And that is just how it is. People saying they think this card should be that card and god knows what else? have lost touch with how it actually is and what is actually going on. It's called being spoiled. "Waaah, the 7800XT is actually a 7700XT!". Really? so you were the guy who should have named them?

IDK man. People need to get a grip. It is what it is.

Soldato
OP
I could have bought ten by now dude. It's the first time a new launch has happened in ruddy ages (apart from the ludicrous 40 series, and even the 4090 sold out a few times) that I could do that.

Serious man, stop moaning. It's really not good for you.

I mean, I don't want you to be as positive as a American and wish every one a nice day and all but really.....

Only one retailer had two models of RX7800XT at RRP,and they are the only one bundling Starfield. The first one ran out of stock in 60~75 minutes. Almost all the other large UK retailers have no stock,no RX7800XT listings or are charging well above RRP. Many of them are on pre-order. So its a narrow choice of one or two retailers here.

I checked the US,Germany and some other markets. Far more stock at launch day at RRP or close to RRP from many more retailers and still have stock now. The UK seems to not be getting as much,which is why OcUK has it on pre-order. This happened during the Pandemic. AMD RX6700XT RRP was for the reference model. But AMD never bothered selling it in the UK,or making their own store ship it to the UK.

Nvidia,OTH,partnered with a local retailer,so enough people got the FE model.So without much effort I got an RTX3060TI FE for RRP,but I wanted an RX6700XT. I was not going to pay nearly £100 more.

So I am not sure WTF AMD is doing in the UK. But I can quite happily wait,because there are plenty of other things I can spend my money on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only one retailer had two models of RX7800XT at RRP,and they are the only one bundling Starfield. The first one ran out of stock in 60~75 minutes. Almost all the other large UK retailers have no stock,no RX7800XT listings or are charging well above RRP. I checked the US,Germany and some other markets. Far more stock at launch day at RRP or close to RRP from many more retailers and still have stock. The UK seems to not be getting as much,which is why OcUK has it on pre-order. This happened during the Pandemic. AMD RX6700XT RRP was for the reference model. But AMD never bothered selling it in the UK,or making their own store ship it to the UK. Nvidia,OTH,partnered with a local retailer,so enough people got the FE model.

So I am not sure WTF AMD is doing in the UK.

Again mate, they want the 6000 gone.

When Gibbo said prices will decrease in time? lol yeah, when the 6000 are gone. Simple as that.

Maybe they shipped a few, so people would miss them and cave and buy a 6800XT? IDK dude. No one does.

I saw the 7800XT for £479. Two models, one being significantly better than the other. You can't get a 6800XT for that, so if it continued they would have to drop the prices on those even lower.

TBH? and I said it before? these WILL drop in price. They absolutely will. The XTX has, and so has the XT. By quite a bleeding lot to be fair. Nvidia on the other hand? lol not 1p. Because as I explained above, they simply don't give a S. Not one, or even a little bit of one. We are no longer their priority, and they simply don't care.

Associate
The entitlement angle is weird

AMD and Nvidia don't exist without customers.
It's not entitled to not want them to stuff you on the tab.

Yeah, guy's talking nonsense, comparing wrong cards in the lineups also. I do have a long memory in terms of GPU's, I'm 47 and my first was a Maxi Gamer 3D. My 970 was £275, and it wasn't the cheapest, it was an overclocked version. The 980 prices started at £400. The entitlement angle is nonsense also, I'm still not buying a card at that price/performance - which is the crucial thing. Somebody isn't entitled if they take their money elsewhere.

Soldato
** anything over 60 FPS at max settings is more than good enough, unless you load up on energy drinks, are 16 and play Esports titles. In which case you will drop settings in order to feed your taurine addiction.

Honestly completely separate point... with reviews showing framerates in the hundreds for modern high end cards I'd be interested in a "what's the best image quality you can achieve whilst maintaining 60fps" like no upscaling, no TAA just running at like 200% resolution lol. I run my 6800XT at 60 but without FSR rather than 90fps with FSR. But maybe they is just me

Soldato
OP
Again mate, they want the 6000 gone.

When Gibbo said prices will decrease in time? lol yeah, when the 6000 are gone. Simple as that.

Maybe they shipped a few, so people would miss them and cave and buy a 6800XT? IDK dude. No one does.

I saw the 7800XT for £479. Two models, one being significantly better than the other. You can't get a 6800XT for that, so if it continued they would have to drop the prices on those even lower.

TBH? and I said it before? these WILL drop in price. They absolutely will. The XTX has, and so has the XT. By quite a bleeding lot to be fair. Nvidia on the other hand? lol not 1p. Because as I explained above, they simply don't give a S. Not one, or even a little bit of one. We are no longer their priority, and they simply don't care.

But in all the other markets they have far more stock,and have the same RDNA2 stock issue. I even asked a friend in elsewhere to check and they had no issues. Basically one retailer in the UK had two models at RRP. Why can't they have launched with decent stock in the UK market from day one at lots of retailers? People might have preferences for different retailers too not just one or two retailers. I remember the RX5600XT/RX5700XT launches were pretty decent in terms of stock and availability.

Personally I am quite happy to play old games,reduce settings,etc so can stay with what I have for longer. But at times I think AMD is their worst enemies(at least in the UK).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom