• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7900 series review thread

Even the folks who strongly dislike AMD must admit that.

giphy.gif

Changing the mounting of a reference 7900 model GPU can fix the junction temperature issue. Reddit users found that by changing the GPU mounting or just laying their PC case on its side reduces GPU junction temperature from 110c to 75c

This issue is caused by a problem with cooling solution, either the vapour chamber or poor mounting of the heatsink to the PCB.

Last edited:
im looking forward to what amd manage for the next gen of cards once they have the chiplet issues worked out! get that price and power draw down and be on to a winner

You don't get coil whine in warzone Matt?

I get similar amounts of coil whine on the 7900 XTX and the 4090. I've tested 5x 4090s and they all had similar levels of coil whine. 150-200 FPS +, they all make coil whine noise. This can be Timespy, Firestrike, or Warzone or any other game/bench that has FPS in hundreds+. That user makes out the coil whine is only local to a 7900 XTX which is a ridiculous comment to make to be honest.

Last edited:
I get similar amounts of coil whine on the 7900 XTX and the 4090. I've tested 5x 4090s and they all had similar levels of coil whine. 150-200 FPS +, they all make coil whine noise. This can be Timespy, Firestrike, or Warzone or any other game/bench that has FPS in hundreds+. That user makes out the coil whine is only local to a 7900 XTX which is a ridiculous comment to make to be honest.
Any GPU that is switching 300 watts + at 120 times / second + is going to coil whine, i just don't think it's possible to make it silent at that point.

Any GPU that is switching 300 watts + at 120 times / second + is going to coil whine, i just don't think it's possible to make it silent at that point.
All high end GPUs have coil whine. All of them. I guarantee anyone who says my GPU has no coil whine, give it to me and I'll have it squealing in no time at all, and I'm not talking about a menu screen at 1000 FPS.

The differential factor is that some GPUs clearly have worse coil whine than others, but they all have it, just to varying degrees.

Last edited:
The
All high end GPUs have coil whine. All of them. I guarantee anyone who says my GPU has no coil whine, give it to me and I'll have it squealing in no time at all, and I'm not talking about a menu screen at 1000 FPS.

The differential factor is that some GPUs clearly have worse coil whine than others, but they all have it, just to varying degrees.
It would be interesting if someone on YouTube would turn the power target down on a 4080/4090/7900XTX until the coil whine disappears and then let's see where we're out both in terms of wattage and power. I'd do it myself if i had all three of those. My 3090 it was about 280 watts at the sweet spot.

The

It would be interesting if someone on YouTube would turn the power target down on a 4080/4090/7900XTX until the coil whine disappears and then let's see where we're out both in terms of wattage and power. I'd do it myself if i had all three of those. My 3090 it was about 280 watts at the sweet spot.
Reducing the GPU voltage, be it via a voltage slider or by lowering the power limit definitely reduces coil whine. Adding more voltage just makes it louder too.

Last edited:
It used to be the way that buying a higher end AIB GPU used to help avoid coil whine.

As the FPS counts have sky-rocketed, that's gone out of the window.

There is no magic, Nvidia only AIB brand that makes golden cards with zero coil whine.

What would be nice @LtMatt is doing a audio/videotest with an FPS limiter on and test at 30>60>90>120>144>etc. fps. to see when the coil whine kicks in.

Last edited:
It used to be the way that buying a higher end AIB GPU used to help avoid coil whine.

As the FPS counts have sky-rocketed, that's gone out of the window.

There is no magic, Nvidia only AIB brand that makes golden cards with zero coil whine.

What would be nice @LtMatt is doing a audio/videotest with an FPS limiter on and test at 30>60>90>120>144>etc. fps. to see when the coil whine kicks in.
Not a bad idea that mate.

I don't see the fuss with coil whine.

I only ever experience it with gaming and when I do, I normally have a headset on and I'm fully immersed in the game. Even if I didn't have a headset on, I'd be gaming with speakers and volume turned up.

You lot moaning are either gaming in silence, run 3D Mark all the time or have your PC's sat right next to you on your desk :P

I don't see the fuss with coil whine.

I only ever experience it with gaming and when I do, I normally have a headset on and I'm fully immersed in the game. Even if I didn't have a headset on, I'd be gaming with speakers and volume turned up.

You lot moaning are either gaming in silence, run 3D Mark all the time or have your PC's sat right next to you on your desk :P

paying £1k+ and still having the lottery of coil whine per card let that sink in

paying £1k+ and still having the lottery of coil whine per card let that sink in

Coil wine in my experience can happen regardless of perceived cost/quality. I can induce coil whine it on my 3080 FE at 4K and even on my 6700 XT, just load up an older game that will get 200+ FPS. The higher the FPS the more you get coils whine.

Granted sometimes you get a real dog for coil whine but this is not an AMD 7900 only thing as some are making out to be (or indeed hoping) is true. In fact there is a 4090 Coil Whine thread here on the Graphics forum. Can you guess how many times our resident anti AMD posters have posted in that thread? Here is a clue, it rhymes with hero. :D

Back
Top Bottom