• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7900 series review thread

Not even close. Can't even reach Nvidia unless going back to flarkin' Turing! :eek:

3JNF3LO.jpg
akVVohg.jpg

El Oh El, CP 2077, really? Is that the only game you guys bring up when someone mentions RT on an AMD GPU? Could you not at least get some numbers from W3 with the other Nvidia sponsored extreme RT update please?

Last edited:
Coil wine in my experience can happen regardless of perceived cost/quality. I can induce coil whine it on my 3080 FE at 4K and even on my 6700 XT, just load up an older game that will get 200+ FPS. The higher the FPS the more you get coils whine.

Granted sometimes you get a real dog for coil whine but this is not an AMD 7900 only thing as some are making out to be (or indeed hoping) is true. In fact there is a 4090 Coil Whine thread here on the Graphics forum. Can you guess how many times our resident anti AMD posters have posted in that thread? Here is a clue, it rhymes with hero. :D

Yeah I know it doesnt matter how much you pay lol thats what I was getting at dont really care for brand they both have it , I had terrible coil whine on my 3080 FE even with fps in game at around 80fps I got it replaced and the replacement also has it but not nearly as bad and gets mostly drowned out when the fans kick in also with undervolting its even better and no I dont undervolt to the point its losing performance over stock

I dont like the idea of it being a lottery when you buying the same card for the same ££ and just comes down to luck , some will say they are fine with it when we shouldnt be settling for that

El Oh El, CP 2077, really? Is that the only game you guys bring up when someone mentions RT on an AMD GPU? Could you not at least get some numbers from W3 with the other Nvidia sponsored extreme RT update please?
Actually I had TW3 but tbf given its imperfect state I didn't want to bias it. CP2077 is the best optimised heavily RTed open world game and I have extensive exp with it on my own (RX 6800) card so not just relying on random benchmarks for judgment.

The truth is it doesn't really matter what game I choose because AMD will still be hopelessly lacklustre with RT on its current cards. It's only competitive in very lightly RTed titles AND where they had direct involvement like Far Cry 6 (where AMD is involved but RT is more substantial you can see Nvidia still has a big lead, f.ex. Riftbreaker). Unfortunately those are very rare, so if you care about RT then AMD is best ignored for another generation.

Actually I had TW3 but tbf given its imperfect state I didn't want to bias it. CP2077 is the best optimised heavily RTed open world game and I have extensive exp with it on my own (RX 6800) card so not just relying on random benchmarks for judgment.

The truth is it doesn't really matter what game I choose because AMD will still be hopelessly lacklustre with RT on its current cards. It's only competitive in very lightly RTed titles AND where they had direct involvement like Far Cry 6 (where AMD is involved but RT is more substantial you can see Nvidia still has a big lead, f.ex. Riftbreaker). Unfortunately those are very rare, so if you care about RT then AMD is best ignored for another generation.

That is a far more measured and accurate response than dumping some screenshots of one extreme RT Nvidia Sponsored title and making some implication that it applies to ALL RT games.

Soon as I seen that it was here we go again lol. Need a better default game than this im afraid.

What I can't fathom is the idea that any rational person would use one single game to give innacurate data on relative RT performance. Especially as this poster then went on to give a much more balanced and accurate response in a suqsequent post.

I won't lie, if it was down the a 7900 XTX and a 4080 at close to the same prices, I would pick a 4080 based on the better RT. But that's just me and I can see why the 7900 XTX would be the preference for others.

Last edited:
The 7900 XTX can run Dying Light 2 with all the RT options completely maxed out, as long as you enable FSR 2 Quality mode. I was averaging over 60 FPS at 4K on the MBA card.

When I had the 3090, it required DLSS and produced similar FPS to this albeit I was not quite using the highest settings back then as FPS were lower than what I see today on the XTX.

Last edited:
Agreed, hence my rational comment. He normally gives good balanced opinion based on wide and varied sources.

The point you made was right, at least make some effort and not base it off one game especially one that is sponsored by said company. Its the same guys that usually demand a plethora of sources and say the same if you use a game like far cry lol.

The 7900 XTX can run Dying Light 2 with all the RT options completely maxed out, as long as you enable FSR 2 Quality mode. I was averaging over 60 FPS at 4K on the MBA card.

When I had the 3090, it required DLSS and produced similar FPS to this albeit I was not quite using the highest settings back then as FPS were lower than what I see today on the XTX.

The 7900 XTX and XT are certainly now playable at 4K in most RT games. For me the worry would be how they fare in the future where ~20%+ less than their Nvidia counterpart is the difference between playable and unplayable.

what happened to the 3080 at 4K?

Best person to ask is nexus, he is the authority on that topic or so I am led to believe! ;)

Shhh, we’re not allowed to talk about the choke. :p

Maybe the vram killed it…

Answered it before I got chance to post! :p

laughing-laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom