• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

so some of the largest chip designers/manufacturers pump as much power as they can for whatever increase in performance that they can get. Right.

That isn't "pretty good at regulating itself in regard to power use". is it

They don’t or at least non Ive worked with do. The goal is always to improve metric such power density, performance per watt etc. it’s never about “pumping as much power as possible”

Last edited:
False. My Ryzen 9 pro chips are sub 9 watts idle and those are 16 cores all with SMT. As I said, AMD are years ahead.

Which Ryzen 9 pro chip is this one? I am out the loop with desktop stuff I have been using mini pcs for many years.

9 watts is very impressive, currently 12 watts idle (in desktop not doing much) with an Meteor lake mini Core i5 125h mini pc.

Which Ryzen 9 pro chip is this one? I am out the loop with desktop stuff I have been using mini pcs for many years.

9 watts is very impressive, currently 12 watts idle (in desktop not doing much) with an Meteor lake mini Core i5 125h mini pc.

3900 pro. Can’t remember the 7000 part number off the top of my head.

Last edited:
They don’t or at least non Ive worked with do. The goal is always to improve metric such power density, performance per watt etc. it’s never about “pumping as much paper as possible”
as in 'get it to go as fast as it can and can we cool it'.
300w - 400w - 500w - 600w there's money to be made in water coolers

Honestly, I'm torn on this release. Out of the box, its not much faster than the prior generation, but the power consumption is SUPER low, like almost half in some cases. That is big.
When you unlock it, suddenly you've got multicore performance 20-25% faster, and probably smoother performance due to not hitting power target limits all the time.

I feel like a lot of the negative reviews are really missing the significance of the lower power draw, and how damn good that means the x3D chips this generation could be; as power won't be a limit to clocks/performance in the same way as last generation (especially if they give it a bit more power as those are the gaming/performance orientated chips), there IS higher IPC, and then you'll have the added 3d Vcache benefits.

These also look FANTASTIC for business, or for people who care about performance. Slightly faster performance for 80W vs 150W is kinda crazy efficiency, and if you unlock the power, it draws maybe +5%, but gains around +20-25% multithread. This is genuinely a tweakers playground dependent on use case, it just seems like AMD chose to default to 'ECO' mode out the box this time around.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the 3DVCache parts now...

One of the comments I saw in the GNexus review comments really said a lot to me, a guy running a school lab commented that for them, running 25 machines in one room, with roughly 30-40 degrees lower temperatures and ~80W a machine with only difference being one CPU generation to the next, with no performance loss makes a MASSIVE difference on the AC bills, power consumption, and being able to keep the room at an acceptable noise and thermal/comfort level. Even a home user will benefit from a cooler, quieter computer.

Now imagine this for businesses running hundreds of machines. MASSIVE difference, especially with power being much more expensive in some countries compared to others.

Last edited:
Agreed, the IPC/performance increase of this generation is being hidden by the essentially ECO mode they come out the box with.
I actually feel some of the reviews are a bit disingenuous about this, as they always used to allow the Intel CPUs to drink as much power as they want and would set power limits to unlimited (250W+), but now they can't let the 9700X drink 150W...

What??

All we need is Zen 5 BIOS to mature, and potentially motherboard manufacturers to default to unlocked/enabled PBO for these chips, or give an easy option to do so, and people are going to be quite happy with these I think.

Even out the box, same or better performance, for almost half the power (85w vs 150w), and 30-40 degrees lower temperature (and according quieter fans etc) is a pretty big quality of life increase, especially if like me you're in a newer house which keeps heat in, and doesnt have AC in every room!
It may be they have released this way out of the box, because someone in AMD decided that was actually a bigger improvement for MOST users, than unlocking the performance out of the box (which is pretty easily done, even by OEMs, they just need to set the BIOS up to allow higher power limits if they so choose).

Last edited:
it wasnt anything to do being on either brands side, more of an curiosity if it was improved . or is that not allowed anymore to question anything ? and if you do its because you are team blue or red ?
Just asking a question sometimes is a mistake in of its own and gets some very defensive, I'll leave it to you to decide why that is. ;)

Checkout Derbauer review from 9:23, the 9700X comes alive when you enable PBO to the max which makes it 21% faster then a 7700X in Cinebench whilst drawing similar power levels.

Maybe I'll make a thread since people are struggling with why it's showing gains in CB and not others.

CB23 runs fully within the CPU cache. So any gains you get via core enhancement (IPC) on Zen 5 will show up there.

However, AMD made absolutely no changes to the IOD and the fabric bandwidth. This is why you don't see gains across the boards. Once the workload has to go across the interconnect to the IOD, that bandwidth ends up being the main bottleneck and even with PBO and tuning, you see no gains for games.

The other area where they improved is AVX512 but you won't see that in games.

With X3D, with it's bigger L3 allow more workloads to stay within the CPU cache and not rely on the Fabric/IOD. Those games will show good gains as well but it'll vary from game to game.

If the goal really low power and decent grunt the 8700GE is one of the best options at the moment. The issue is if you’re looking at min maxing stand by then the monitor, even keyboard and mouse choice makes a difference.

Honestly, I'm torn on this release. Out of the box, its not much faster than the prior generation, but the power consumption is SUPER low, like almost half in some cases. That is big.
When you unlock it, suddenly you've got multicore performance 20-25% faster, and probably smoother performance due to not hitting power target limits all the time.

I feel like a lot of the negative reviews are really missing the significance of the lower power draw, and how damn good that means the x3D chips this generation could be; as power won't be a limit to clocks/performance in the same way as last generation (especially if they give it a bit more power as those are the gaming/performance orientated chips), there IS higher IPC, and then you'll have the added 3d Vcache benefits.

These also look FANTASTIC for business, or for people who care about performance. Slightly faster performance for 80W vs 150W is kinda crazy efficiency, and if you unlock the power, it draws maybe +5%, but gains around +20-25% multithread. This is genuinely a tweakers playground dependent on use case, it just seems like AMD chose to default to 'ECO' mode out the box this time around.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the 3DVCache parts now...

One of the comments I saw in the GNexus review comments really said a lot to me, a guy running a school lab commented that for them, running 25 machines in one room, with roughly 30-40 degrees lower temperatures and ~80W a machine with only difference being one CPU generation to the next, with no performance loss makes a MASSIVE difference on the AC bills, power consumption, and being able to keep the room at an acceptable noise and thermal/comfort level. Even a home user will benefit from a cooler, quieter computer.

Now imagine this for businesses running hundreds of machines. MASSIVE difference, especially with power being much more expensive in some countries compared to others.

Yes, you're right about all of this, with the cost of energy increasingly people are looking for a combination of performance and low power consumption, AMD know this and no one on the X86 platform can get anywhere near AMD in that sense.

Will see what they launch at £ wise, maybe will do a launch special price considering the initial reviews are less favourable :D .
Tempted to give one a try depending on price. Main system I use is a 9900K that I wouldn't mind updating while I have plenty of spare time on my hands. Only need the CPU, mobo and memory.

I don't game much these days but the PC is on much of the day and evening so the efficiency appeals.

Will see what they launch at £ wise, maybe will do a launch special price considering the initial reviews are less favourable :D .
Tempted to give one a try depending on price. Main system I use is a 9900K that I wouldn't mind updating while I have plenty of spare time on my hands. Only need the CPU, mobo and memory.

I don't game much these days but the PC is on much of the day and evening so the efficiency appeals.

The only real concern i have is that they are a little too expensive, about $50 across the range.

Back
Top Bottom