• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Even some of the productivity benchmarks are showing stagnation/regression so it’s not like it’s just gaming that sucks.

Check out the Linux benchmarks
it's showing it performs very well on Linux which most servers run on

Last edited:
More like they went 'rebadge..' a 7700, as that would be almost fully accurate anyway given the benchmarks and power draw.

It's definately not a rebadge. Look at the Linux/Server/Webapp benchmarks and there has clearly been a lot of work under the hood, just not in areas we are seeing benefits from in gaming. In some of those benchmarks, the 9700X is dramatically faster than a 7700X.

Last edited:
We will have to wait for actual Turin reviews to see how well Zen 5 does with servers.

Currently Zen 5 looks like total stagnation but longer term, I suspect in AMD's internal roadmap and how to get there with Zen6 onwards relies on Zen 5.

Whether that is sane or not only time can tell.

In the meantime, Zen 5 will only sell at the current Zen 4 prices. Margins obsessed AMD may not like it, but otherwise sales will be poor just when the platform costs of AM5 and DDR5 have finally come down.

While they've left AM4 on the market to cater for more budget buyers, they may not be happy doing that with Zen 4 and Zen 5 as almost nobody will then buy Zen 5.

Zen 6 will be on AM5 and probably more.

Might depend when they want to move their server chips to DDR6.

Previous versions of Zen have changed socket at the same time their server chips changed socket (SP3 to SP5). End of last year rumors cropped up stating SP7 for Epyc was coming in 2026. Presumably for DDR6 reasons.

And if development of the DDR5 server chips ends...

Probably because Zen 5 architecture main focus is for workstations/ server space which has bigger margins then desktop , they want to eat into that space , so looks like they taking a hit with the desktop side
Every CPU from the past 3 decades is that, i don't think Motherboard vendors were given enough time to bake the BIOS, i think they will get better and i think we will see that with the first 800 series Motherboards.

Other reviewers, more than one got very much better results than Steve. He can't not know that and he even identifies the problem in the voltage curves being all over the place on his motherboard, so i think his conclusions here are a bit contrived.

Last edited:
Every CPU from the past 3 decades is that, i don't think Motherboard vendors were given enough time to bake the BIOS, i think they will get better and i think we will see that with the first 800 series Motherboards.

Other reviewers, more than one got very much better results than Steve. He can't not know that and he even identifies the problem in the voltage curves being all over the place on his motherboard, so i think his conclusions here are a bit contrived.
He's got to prove himself right hasn't he. After the nth game and 100th voltage reading I gave up. IMHO there is more to Zen 5 than 6 / 8 core gameing. As mentioned before, Windows doesn't play nice with Zen 5 so yes there is more 'under the hood' than we are seeing ATM.

He's got to prove himself right hasn't he. After the nth game and 100th voltage reading I gave up. IMHO there is more to Zen 5 than 6 / 8 core gameing. As mentioned before, Windows doesn't play nice with Zen 5 so yes there is more 'under the hood' than we are seeing ATM.

It has a completely original never been done before ladder stile mesh, frankly i don't trust the Windows Scheduler to treat it as intended, to just treat it like a traditional ring bus and go around the outside, at least until AMD can persuade Microsoft to update its scheduler, again.

Zen 5 is the foundation of a new architecture, with updates to Windows, a more baked BIOS... i think these will mature in to something quite good, there are hints of just how good these things can be when one cares to look past all the current hyperbolic click farming.

Anyway.... another review, its niche but relevant.

j98FPam.png

iPfnwsu.png

1IfU77b.png

thats AMD's fault with the bios then , I dont buy thinking the bios will suddenly get that performance later and very much doubt it will , im all for being proved wrong

when was the last time the bios suddenly gave so much performance later on ?

It has a completely original never been done before ladder stile mesh, frankly i don't trust the Windows Scheduler to treat it as intended, to just treat it like a traditional ring bus and go around the outside, at least until AMD can persuade Microsoft to update its scheduler, again.

Zen 5 is the foundation of a new architecture, with updates to Windows, a more baked BIOS... i think these will mature in to something quite good, there are hints of just how good these things can be when one cares to look past all the current hyperbolic click farming.

Anyway.... another review, its niche but relevant.

j98FPam.png

iPfnwsu.png

1IfU77b.png
I totally agree. The windows / Linux thing lays bare the performance problems within windows. But then, hasn't windows always been at the behest of Intel. Did we (AMD users) really need al those updates at the time of Intel 'Big - little' super chips.

P.s. Had an ****ing update this morning. Had to hard reset twice to complete arghhh!

Last edited by a moderator:
They 12 and 16 parts reviews should be live soon, how do we see those going?

Spoiler alert their decidedly 'meh' as well unless you have a particular use case for AVX 512...

Oh and as an added bonus they need 'special' software installing for core parking like the 7950x3d and 7900x3d do as well to work properly!

Is it worth switching from a 7600x to a 9600x or wait until Black Friday and make the move to a 7800X3D?

Ita a terrible upgrade for almost all scenarios.

If gaming currently the 7800x3d retains its crown as the obvious choice. Otherwise the 7950 or 7950x3d if you really have a use case for more cores.

Back
Top Bottom