• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Famous AMD fanstore, Mindfactory, is reporting they've so far sold fewer than 50 Zen5 CPUs

Demand for the Zen5 CPUs is extremely low from desktop users and gamers. Keep in mind, Mindfactory usually sells 5000 CPUs per week, of which 70% are AMD models, and yet less than 50 sold are Zen5

Where are all the people claiming Zen5 efficiency is a major selling point? Why aren't you buying Zen5 in droves? Where is everyone? Hello??
Well maybe those same people already have a setup and cannot afford to change it but they are still allowed to hold an opinion right?

AMD want to dramatically increase core count with Zen6 though (16c ccd), so it'll be tough to keep it on AM5 imo. Just imagine if Zen5 is the underwhelming dogpile we're left with on this platform :D :p

That’s the beauty of AMD’s glue. It’s flexible yet strong.

It's not a hard line to draw that maybe they've looked at everything going on in team blue, and looked at each other and gone 'eco...' this time around, in tandem with underlying changes being fantastic for servers etc where eco is a big deal. The temperature drops were pretty significant which is a big deal for servers running high core density, massive numbers of server units, and having to deal with high power AC to cool all of it.
More like they went 'rebadge..' a 7700, as that would be almost fully accurate anyway given the benchmarks and power draw.

AMD want to dramatically increase core count with Zen6 though (16c ccd), so it'll be tough to keep it on AM5 imo. Just imagine if Zen5 is the underwhelming dogpile we're left with on this platform :D :p

The R9s should be a bit less underwhelming but kind of amusing if this is essentially as good as it gets after all the people slating LGA1700 for being a dead-end platform :s

Last edited:
The R9s should be a bit less underwhelming but kind of amusing if this is essentially as good as it gets after all the people slaying LGA1700 for being a dead-end platform :s

LGA1700 is dead end, seemingly both literally and figuratively.

We'll see. If the rumours are correct as to the configuration of the 12P only part coming to LGA1700 it may get the last laugh yet.

Intel are struggling with 24 cores so I can’t see how a 12 core saves Soc 1700.

Famous AMD fanstore, Mindfactory, is reporting they've so far sold fewer than 50 Zen5 CPUs

Demand for the Zen5 CPUs is extremely low from desktop users and gamers. Keep in mind, Mindfactory usually sells 5000 CPUs per week, of which 70% are AMD models, and yet less than 50 sold are Zen5

Where are all the people claiming Zen5 efficiency is a major selling point? Why aren't you buying Zen5 in droves? Where is everyone? Hello??
AMD has a habit of cutting prices a couple of months after launch but I think these will start dropping within a couple of weeks if sales are really bad.

I feel for anyone who went out and paid launch prices.

AMD has a habit of cutting prices a couple of months after launch but I think these will start dropping within a couple of weeks if sales are really bad.

I feel for anyone who went out and paid launch prices.
some folks will always pay launch prices. anyways I'm sure that AMD can afford a good price drop. (unless of course they have to replace them later).

Last edited:
Steve says Zen4 is sometimes more efficient than Zen5, it's also sometimes faster

AMD speed running Intel's 11th generation - that being a super niche product that doesn't appeal to the average existing customer

Last edited:
Steve says Zen4 is sometimes more efficient than Zen5, it's also sometimes faster

AMD speed running Intel's 11th generation - that being a super niche product that doesn't appeal to the average existing customer

I haven't seen the video yet but from that description i'm starting to wonder if the 11'th gen comparison is objectively true or is there an ulterior motive for it?

Its not as good as an upgrade from Zen 4 that a lot of us hoped but its still a good CPU and when people start clutching at the "its objectively worse that the previous generation" straws it starts to look more like they wished it is and need you to believe it is. I find that a little strange given also that quite a few reviews show very much better results than he did, i never read much in to that before but now its starting to look a bit sus.

I might comment more tomorrow when i have watched this.

Last edited:
Ulterior motive? As a 7950x owner, I'm not trying to make fun of AMD for no reason, such as just not liking them because I like Intel, which I don't.

I chose the 11th gen analogy, because it was also a recent generation of CPU launch, which turned out to be a niche product due to its: high prices, poorer efficiency than the previous generation for gamers/desktop users, having few scenarios where its performance was universally better than the product it replaced and just generally having performance that is broadly on par with the product it replaced for most people.

You may remember me making just as much fun of the 11900k at the time, you can check out my post history, I think I may have insulted 11th gen owners a little bit too much back then and caught a timeout.

For what it's worth, I don't think the 9700x/9600x are quite as much a waste of sand as Intel 11th gen was, but I do still think they are currently on the borderline waste of sand level.

Last edited:
The new GN video is pretty heavy on the detail but doesn't help the new chips look any better.
The 7800X3D is still king and the older 5700X3D comes out looking pretty good too.

7950x3d pricing is very tasty at the moment. I'm struggling to resist.
Yeah, kinda wishing I'd bit the bullet when it was £470 a few weeks/a month ago lol
OTOH, I'm still pretty content with the performance of my 5950x for my 7900XT.... If I had a 4090 I'd be more tempted (7950x3D, not 9700X!)

I haven't seen the video yet but from that description i'm starting to wonder if the 11'th gen comparison is objectively true or is there an ulterior motive for it?

Its not as good as an upgrade from Zen 4 that a lot of us hoped but its still a good CPU and when people start clutching at the "its objectively worse that the previous generation" straws it starts to look more like they wished it is and need you to believe it is. I find that a little strange given also that quite a few reviews show very much better results than he did, i never read much in to that before but now its starting to look a bit sus.

I might comment more tomorrow when i have watched this.

Probably because Zen 5 architecture main focus is for workstations/ server space which has bigger margins then desktop , they want to eat into that space , so looks like they taking a hit with the desktop side

Probably because Zen 5 architecture main focus is for workstations/ server space which has bigger margins then desktop , they want to eat into that space , so looks like they taking a hit with the desktop side
Unlike Nvidia who offer desktop great products too.
I'm starting to think Intel are going to eat AMD's dinner :D on desktop this time around unless they pull something special off with the 9900X/9950X. Watching a review yesterday it seems like 9700X with PBO struggles to beat even the 14600K, which itself is obviously just a 13th gen rehash. Probably the X3D CPU's will take the gaming crown but for productivity/a general all round use system seems like Intel only have it to lose at the moment.

Last edited:
Even some of the productivity benchmarks are showing stagnation/regression so it’s not like it’s just gaming that sucks.

Back
Top Bottom