• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

A very strange release. Not sure where all those extra few billion transistors are really coming in to play? This seems like the weakest release AMD has had for years.

Great Linux performance though especially at 65W:
(Their site might time out though).

Think I said this before, this is
Firstly a server design.
Secondly a server design.
And at least...
Thirdly a server design.

Never mind leapfrogging design teams, AMD are now big though that they should have competing design team. Never forget how the mobile team saved Intel's posterior back in the P4 days.

Guess this does explain the launch prices not being crazy!

But Linux probably already got Kernel updates months ago,and Windows is just being Windows.

Zen5 is a big change in the basic design with a doubled front end,native AVX512 performance,etc so I would expect most optimisations will be for the Zen1 to Zen4 lineage. Couple that with the seemingly rushed launch,with various bugs,etc - it's probably been released before it was ready. This would also explain why the 800 series motherboards are nowhere to be seen.

This happened with Zen1,so I am not surprised with the issues. AMD never seems to learn,although there are rumours the next Intel release is potentially decent - it might be AMD knows this and has rushed it out.

I do hope this isn't another Phenom moment.

Die size is supposed to have shrunk from 71.0mm² to 70.6mm². So basically the same.
TPU says:

So at most 6% more transistors. So impressive that they managed to gain as much FP and AVX512 as they did but the whole design says
AMD penny-pinching strikes again!
Looking at Zen4 dies shots (since this is the same size) I get things like this:
67HCNVx.jpeg

I am sure with some moving of a few bits, they could easily have squeezed 90mm² into each CCD. Or even 80mm².

Whereas a 80mm² or 90mm² part could have squeezed in more int resources, or more cache. And the die costs wouldn't have been that much more (at $15,000 per 4NP wafer, about an extra $6 per CCD).

Point being, penny-wise might have been pound-foolish if the penny-pinching ended up with a part which doesn't sell as well.

That is AMD for you,but at the same time they are quite capacity constrained and we are getting at best a half node shrink. It seems Nvidia and Intel buying up the extra capacity Apple does not use,is leading to them having to make some trade-offs.

But,then AMD should have priced this far cheaper - under £300 for the Ryzen 9 9700X.

However,the cynic in me,makes me wonder whether they think that because Intel has big issues, that they can sell everything they can make. This is the same company which released the RX7900XT at £900,because Nvidia attempted an RTX4080 12GB.

Last edited:
A very strange release. Not sure where all those extra few billion transistors are really coming in to play? This seems like the weakest release AMD has had for years.
15% ipc lift seems weak?
with Intel did 0% u said anything about that?

anyhow, all engineering is about building for use cases and that isnt desktop home users first hand, its servers.
thats where the BIG money is.
Its why Intel is still kinda afloat or else they be gone.

I'd also imagine for system integrators this will be a huge win.
The likes of dell, have been bribed by intel to not use AMD parts historically and thus gained a huge foothold.

Having a part that performs slightly better for vastly less power is massive for business. When you buy 1000's of systems having efficiency makes a huge difference. It may be enough of a incentive to get the integrators support to move forward aggressively into mass adoption. For sure the DIY market has been broken, and the server space is making inroads, not the business/enterprise desktop yet.

We can look forward to a lot more of this going forward. Frequently AMD were not in the position to do the drip-feed thing, and now they are.
Doesn't even really matter what Intel's next CPUs can do at this stage, as market confidence has been shattered. Intel management are still in process of urinating over the shattered remnants.
There is no need for AMD to bother. The new era of "4c/8t is enough", is here. :D :'(

After reading most reviews the performance is not good, barely 10% even if that. If the X3D don't perform well then ill just pick up 7xxx series cpu. The market is bad. I hope the 5090 performance uplift is not anything like this. This range cpu together with no upper tier gpu this year from AMD it seem to be very laid back year for them.

Last edited:
Seems to me that the 9000 series is a power house with the right amount of tweaking. I love the fact that the performance is there but a little bit of knowledge is needed to get it out. No doubt AMD is tripping over its own feet marketing wise, but they have always done that. Product seems extremely solid when in the right hands.

Seems to me that the 9000 series is a power house with the right amount of tweaking. I love the fact that the performance is there but a little bit of knowledge is needed to get it out. No doubt AMD is tripping over its own feet marketing wise, but they have always done that. Product seems extremely solid when in the right hands.
indeed this seems to be the case, AMD held it back too much with low TDP.

what a mess they have made

Seems the more positive reviews (such as the LTT review) is based around them overclocking (ie enabling PBO) the chip and comparing OC'd results with the power limit removed.

Have to say it's performance per watt is very impressive but seems incredibly strange for AMD to target such an aggressive power limit for a desktop part.

GN point out their chip can't meet all core turbo speeds not because of temps but because of the power limit.

If AMD wanted presumably they could have pushed two variants at launch, the X and the non X, with the non X being as they are currently and the X version being with a higher power limit. What are the non X chips going to look like now?

@uscool is talking about comparative CPU's i.e. 13700K/7800X3D. I can tell you for a fact that my 7800X3D (~20W) used over twice the idle power of my 13700K (~8W) so in this regards your statement above is objective and factual rubbish.

False. My Ryzen 9 pro chips are sub 9 watts idle and those are 16 cores all with SMT. As I said, AMD are years ahead.

I know nobody believes me, but I'd still bet good money that we're just a small number of years from the EU slapping power-consumption limits on PCs and/or components (my bet is they'll have learned from their mis-steps on TVs and will say "no PSUs over 600W" or something). If AMD think there is a regulatory risk coming down the line, then a "dump" generation where they focus on efficiency above all else might look like a smart move in a few years, when they can get back to pushing performance while Intel is left blinking foolishly in the headlights with its roadmap in tatters.

Obviously a big risk, though, and there aren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy a 9700x (just as there weren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy an Nvidia 2000-series).

We can look forward to a lot more of this going forward. Frequently AMD were not in the position to do the drip-feed thing, and now they are.
Doesn't even really matter what Intel's next CPUs can do at this stage, as market confidence has been shattered. Intel management are still in process of urinating over the shattered remnants.
There is no need for AMD to bother. The new era of "4c/8t is enough", is here. :D :'(

Unlikely I think considering Intel sales are more twice that of AMD. Zen 5 was supposed to be on 3nm before TSMC delayed it and that will have design implications. AMD are also moving 16c CCDs and that will have significant performance.

Oh man...

Intel is down and out for the count and AMD still trips up over it's own feet.

Wow, just wow.

I think this statement is wrong. Sure its not the mega performance jump most were wanting but Zen 5 is a change in architecture from AMD coming from Zen 4 and lays the foundation for the next bunch of CPUs in the future. I am very impressed at how AMD have managed to match or edge out last gen at a much lower TDP. This is technically an improvement but maybe one you are not satisfied with.

Last edited:
AMD should have named it 9700 non-X 65W part and collect high fives all around. Reviews would praise its efficiency and the nice overclocking headroom
instead got a collective "what just happened, its barely faster than 7700X, are they incompetent?"

Back
Top Bottom