• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

indeed this seems to be the case, AMD held it back too much with low TDP.

what a mess they have made

According to him if tweaked and paired with 6400 memory it gets close to 7800x3d in gaming, guess we'll find out when people start playing with them

You can see why they decided to have it in eco mode out of the box extra power doesn't do much for gaming where it's mostly gonna be judged on

Makes the 7800x3d look even more amazing at it's current price of £329.99
HeEyrlt.jpeg
The worse minimums are very depressing.
I wonder what it would be like if the base frequency was set to same as 7700X.

I know nobody believes me, but I'd still bet good money that we're just a small number of years from the EU slapping power-consumption limits on PCs and/or components (my bet is they'll have learned from their mis-steps on TVs and will say "no PSUs over 600W" or something). If AMD think there is a regulatory risk coming down the line, then a "dump" generation where they focus on efficiency above all else might look like a smart move in a few years, when they can get back to pushing performance while Intel is left blinking foolishly in the headlights with its roadmap in tatters.

Obviously a big risk, though, and there aren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy a 9700x (just as there weren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy an Nvidia 2000-series).
IMHO AMD are ahead of the curve here. Everything now is 'eco mode' cars, TV's, washing machines, light bulbs - everything. Only a matter of time before power limits are the norm (probably held back atm by some manufacturers with vested interests). I'm happy with lower power.

I know nobody believes me, but I'd still bet good money that we're just a small number of years from the EU slapping power-consumption limits on PCs and/or components (my bet is they'll have learned from their mis-steps on TVs and will say "no PSUs over 600W" or something). If AMD think there is a regulatory risk coming down the line, then a "dump" generation where they focus on efficiency above all else might look like a smart move in a few years, when they can get back to pushing performance while Intel is left blinking foolishly in the headlights with its roadmap in tatters.

Obviously a big risk, though, and there aren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy a 9700x (just as there weren't many good reasons for a consumer to buy an Nvidia 2000-series).

Not exactly done through limiting power use, but they have many years ago. TBH the semiconductor market is pretty good at regulating itself in this regard.

I'd not thought about having these as a non X version and then upping the power for the "X"

Could have been a wise move, but potentially the reviews would just say "avoid the X and just overclock the non X" as we've had before, so I'm not sure if that would have made people happy?

Last edited:
It's performance at any cost - regardless of power requirements. Just like old American 5L cars - burn fuel like there's no tomorrow. The only time the power is regulated is when it can no longer be contained ie it melts or burst into flames (or crashes and degrades).

@uscool is talking about comparative CPU's i.e. 13700K/7800X3D. I can tell you for a fact that my 7800X3D (~20W) used over twice the idle power of my 13700K (~8W) so in this regards your statement above is objective and factual rubbish.

Why would it be about idle power consumption the thing that you care about when your CPU is slower in games and uses 3X as much power when its doing anything? This is strawmaning to the highest degree.

Last edited:
It's performance at any cost - regardless of power requirements. Just like old American 5L cars - burn fuel like there's no tomorrow. The only time the power is regulated is when it can no longer be contained ie it melts or burst into flames (or crashes and degrades).

Intel have just made bad decisions and Nvidia consumer parts are just the junk they can’t sell.

Not read all of this thread so not sure if already been mentioned but wondering what wattage the 9700/9600 will be? Surely these are CPU's that will come at some point as we already have 7700/7600 CPU's.

Its just clock speed, it means nothing, Zen 3 does that ^^^

If that's the case you're right, if that's the case this is a smart move, it seems all the development has gone in to efficiency and efficient they are, very, this is something Intel aren't doing and haven't for many generations.

Last edited:
Why would it be about idle power consumption the thing that you care about when your CPU is slower in games and uses 3X as much power when its doing anything? This is strawmaning to the highest degree.

It’s pretty irrelevant on the metrics list.

it wasnt anything to do being on either brands side, more of an curiosity if it was improved . or is that not allowed anymore to question anything ? and if you do its because you are team blue or red ?

Reactions: G J
Intel have just made bad decisions and Nvidia consumer parts are just the junk they can’t sell.
so some of the largest chip designers/manufacturers pump as much power as they can for whatever increase in performance that they can get. Right.

That isn't "pretty good at regulating itself in regard to power use". is it

Back
Top Bottom