• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 9 3950X review thread

Caporegime
Thanks, pretty happy with the EK Solids Azure, too. The XL, the XE rad at the bottom makes it look smaller than it is.
Looks nice that. I admire the effort that goes into water cooling and all that.

These days i dread any computer work whereas 5 years ago i used to love building systems and changing things around. These days i would rather just set something up once and never have to touch it ever again.

Getting lazy in my old age i think.

Associate

These days i dread any computer work whereas 5 years ago i used to love building systems and changing things around. These days i would rather just set something up once and never have to touch it ever again.

Haha I am similar. I would spend hours and hours setting up my pc, now i just chuck in everything, no cable management and everything is a mess. Will have to do a proper job again on my new C700p and pc. Previous pc was a crappy case with no space so didn't even bother for years.

Soldato

I get where you're coming from. Especially with hardline, but once a year I don't think is too bad. As long as you have another rig to pass over the downtime. Honestly, from getting the 3950X it's only taken me a few hours to get it plumbed in. If you preplan and have all the right fittings, it's not that difficult.

Associate
To an extent they do they job yes but you wouldn’t exactly call it extracting maximum from the CPU so potentially you’re right saying maybe a 3900 would have been about the limit.

Active cooling on the board I have is virtually inaudible by the way.

After some belated research I've decided indeed to go with the 3900X. While as a software dev I can make use of 16 cores, I just don't want the extra cost/case size/energy to support that chip.

Only difficulty is selling it safely, and for a fair price. That auction site is just awful for sellers these days.

Associate
the very odd time if i order something on a friday it comes on a monday but it doesnt happen too much.dpd have screwed my last two deliverys up.one came into the depot at 4.30 in the afternoon i had another parcel due the next day and they delivered the 2nd parcel but forgot about the first one,it wasnt even on the van.last time i ordered ram it went to antrim depot instead of mallusk.they then sent it back to athlone which is 100 odd miles away instead of sending it to mallusk which is around 10 miles from antrim
Usually whenever an order ends up "West of the Bann" (I'm in the North West currently) it'll arrive the next day for me. Mine is out for delivery rn.

Associate
Mine was here when I got home today.a day early lol.just stuck it in and put the water block on and formatted pc.had 5 mins in bfv and it's going to 4.375 down to 4.3ghz.single core usage I've seen it at 4.725 quickly and I mean a matter of a few seconds dropping to 4.650.everything is stock no adjustments to anything in the bios.it does like large .rar files though.ill get a better look tomorrow as I'm off .I'll check temps tomorrow too.

Soldato
Mine was here when I got home today.a day early lol.just stuck it in and put the water block on and formatted pc.had 5 mins in bfv and it's going to 4.375 down to 4.3ghz.single core usage I've seen it at 4.725 quickly and I mean a matter of a few seconds dropping to 4.650.everything is stock no adjustments to anything in the bios.it does like large .rar files though.ill get a better look tomorrow as I'm off .I'll check temps tomorrow too.

Sounds pretty normal, wish it wasn't the case but yeah these chips can't hold their boost clocks for very long at all which I still think is deceptive - if you are going to advertise a 4.7ghz boost clocks then there should be at least one scenario where the chip should be able to run a task and maintain its 4.7ghz clock. If AMD advertised them as 4.4ghz or 4.3ghz that would be more accurate as that is where the single core clocks sit.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Sounds pretty normal, wish it wasn't the case but yeah these chips can't hold their boost clocks for very long at all which I still think is deceptive - if you are going to advertise a 4.7ghz boost clocks then there should be at least one scenario where the chip should be able to run a task and maintain its 4.7ghz clock. If AMD advertised them as 4.4ghz or 4.3ghz that would be more accurate as that is where the single core clocks sit.

whilst i only have a 3900x and mine sould boost to 4.6 ghz witch after certain bios updates ive seen a lot more now. But the same it doesn't last long enough to make any real differnce then spike the heat in my cpu. But amd did show some slides of how amd dont have a limit on how long it can hold a a higher boost clock but intel does. But intel do hit there boost spped a lot more then my 3900x. But i still really do think the 3900x cpu the right choice from me can't take away its perforance and im sure the 3950x is even better. But i do hope that amd get better at this going forward.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Been waiting a long time for the 3950X but alas I don’t think I’ll bother.

Only really use my PC for gaming these days and my OC’d 2700X and 2080Ti still seem to cut it at 4K/60.

Next gen looks awfully tempting though, especially if those new TR reports are anything to go by.

Hope you all manage to get your 3950X’s by Christmas!

Soldato

Only really use my PC for gaming these days and my OC’d 2700X and 2080Ti still seem to cut it at 4K/60.

Next gen looks awfully tempting though, especially if those new TR reports are anything to go by.

don't think I'll get mine until January

Associate
Cancelled my pre-order and if I didin't I would have had one by now.

How many pre-orders need fulfilling?

What's the chance of getting one before Xmas if i pre-order now?

Associate
Cancelled my pre-order and if I didin't I would have had one by now.

How many pre-orders need fulfilling?

What's the chance of getting one before Xmas if i pre-order now?

If it helps, I've been told I jumped from 43 last Tuesday to 12 as of today, but they did tell me they had over 100 orders to fulfil still...

RCM

RCM

Associate
That's interesting, I was #41 last Tuesday so it probably means I'm #10 or #11 now. Everything crossed for another incoming batch in the next week or two...

Associate
That's interesting, I was #41 last Tuesday so it probably means I'm #10 or #11 now. Everything crossed for another incoming batch in the next week or two...

Indeedy I'm hoping the same. Gibbo did say he was hoping for 10-20 this week so fingers crossed! Would actually be over the moon, very nearly cancelled for a 3900x but knew I'd regret it when the stock regulated lol.

Soldato

Have I missed something with TR?

OcUK Staff
Any news about a possible restock?

We have 18 shipped to us, due any day on the retail part, so fingers crossed some arrive today/tomorrow but were now finding shipments getting delayed due to Black Friday business madness!

We have OEM product in stock, but it was sourced as grey and cost me more than we sell the retail ones to end user at, as such were keeping those for use only in systems and bundles.

Back
Top Bottom