OcUK Southwest Meet - Get Your Names In!

i may have to convince the wife , but lets say im a maybe , and im sure i can convince Heero, its 160 miles but what the hell , as long as im home by dark :)

Mine CIVIC 1.8 VTI
Heero MONDEO unless he jumpss in mine

Skywalker said:
Mine CIVIC 1.8 VTI

A fine taste in cars sir ;)

I was tempted to bring the MR2 along as it's a little more exotic than my Rover 400 clone, but the sodding thing has only gone and blown it's turbo seals :( (depsite the 3000 mile oil changes and extreme care in cool down times). Ordered a turbo rebuild kit, but probably won't be done in time as it's a illegitimate offspring of a job.

JaMMieDoDGer said:
looks like i wont be coming. just failed my moick test with 7 Majors :(

Your Mock test?

Well if you have that attitude then no you won't be coming as you'll 'think' you can't pass your test.

I got 4 majors on both of my mock tests and passed first time, so don't give up hope, try harder.

Dogbreath said:
I was tempted to bring the MR2 along as it's a little more exotic than my Rover 400 clone, but the sodding thing has only gone and blown it's turbo seals :( (depsite the 3000 mile oil changes and extreme care in cool down times). Ordered a turbo rebuild kit, but probably won't be done in time as it's a illegitimate offspring of a job.

My heart goes out to you, it really does. Had just the same thing 15 miles after I picked up my car. Knew the turbo was on its way out, but only 15 miles. 1 recon turbo, 3 days of my time, much cursing and swearing at the custom exhaust manifold (which also needs replacing, turbo off again job) and job done. So good luck with it.

It looks as though I will be able to make it down if its ok with you folks, so if you would be so kind as to put my name on the list please.

Myself and [TW]Fox have been chatting on MSN, and have been having some trouble thinking of a pub to get to :p

i don't live in the area, so i don't have a clue!

maybe some locals could point us to a big pub, maybe a chain pub, thats big enough to accept us lot?

Westy and I found a Hungry Horse, but its in Newton Abbott. We know Hungry Horse is pretty decent as the one in Cheltenham gets the thumbs up from the RR days, but going to it and having a reasonable drive would result in the following 33 mile route, so what does everyone think?

route9vk.jpg

Plus points:

a) It encomposses every type of roads - a few miles on the Motorway, some A roads and a B road.
b) It's not actually THAT long
c) It goes to a Hungry horse

Negative points:

a) Perhaps it is a little too long? It'll be about an hour to do it I'd have thought.
b) People could get lost, but lots of us have Satnav and there will be a 'slow group' for people who drive like grannies, or drive Mondeos.

Last edited:
Does it have to be a chain pub...? If so, there's a big Wetherspoons (biggest in the country I believe) in Exeter itself up near uni....

Why not head north out of Exeter, up the A377 past Crediton, up on towards Bideford way, then about turn and back down into Exeter to the 'Spoons? There's some nice circuits to be made up of the A and B roads to the north of Exeter...

That way we're all pretty much where we started, so no-one has any further than they came to drive home again... Those who don't fancy a hoon about can just nip across town from the services and sit in the pub till the others return.... And drinks/food is cheap as anything, due to it being a 'spoons.

^^^ good idea. the reason is might need to be a chain pub is mainly size. you're not likely to find a privately owned pub that is keen on 25+ people coming in and eating/drinking.

plus, the Hungry Horse was very popular with everyone on the RR meets.

The Wetherspoons is something to take into consideration though, thanks:)

maybe some more input?

Fox's planned route sounds good to me, and would keep my journey well under 400 miles total :)

But if someone can come up with a route where the pub is fairly close to the meet point, for those who don't want to hoon about like loonies, that might be a good idea.

Alan Woodford

<edit>
Playing with autoroute, the direct route to the hungry horse is about 19 miles, or half an hour, so that might be an option for people?

Last edited:
Gojira said:
<edit>
Playing with autoroute, the direct route to the hungry horse is about 19 miles, or half an hour, so that might be an option for people?

Your right Newton abbot is no distance or time from Exeter, makes it a good location.

Problem is with the Spoons pub in Exeter, The Imperial, Car parking is lousy.

Go with Fox's plan, that will be the best laugh.

I shall also bring along a spare sat-nav to lend, just in case one of the groups does not have one. As I will have mine, and probably bring up the rear, even though my car is not really a slow one.. just the way I like to convoy, picking up the stagglers and getlosters (not a real word!)

I've been to that Hungry Horse before quite a few times, used to live two minutes walk away. It's ok, nothing special but they can eaisly hold a lot of people :)

If you look on that map at a place called Abbotskerswell there is a great pub there called Court Farm Inn, they can take a lot of people and have a fairly large car park, but I don't want you lot coming to 'my' village :p.

Also there is a 'Spoons' now opened in Newton Abbot, haven't been there, but I've been told it's good.

Shame you don't speak to me on msn :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom