*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Thanks, I'll give it a go, with what I am doing I seem to only get 19-28 Fps with quite low detail and lots of very jagged edges....I am doing something wrong as I know my setup is old but I'm sure its capable of doing better than I have it...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I'll give it a go, with what I am doing I seem to only get 19-28 Fps with quite low detail and lots of very jagged edges....I am doing something wrong as I know my setup is old but I'm sure its capable of doing better than I have it...

Your PC is low end for the Quest 2. And in hard to run games, there might not be anything you can do it make it look better. VR is demanding on both CPU and GPU. The Quest 2 is a high resolution headset. But because it uses streaming(encoding/decoding) to connect to a PC, it has even more overhead. Added to that, Pascal cards aren't as good at encoding as the Turing or Ampere.

But, lets go back to basics and see if we can do anything. You see the problem with dialling in settings on the Quest 2 in PCVR, is that if you have settings too high for your hardware, it will look worse. It's not like on a monitor where you might be able to see how good it looks at high settings, but you just wouldn't be able to play. In VR, it not only plays worse, but looks worse too. So, there is a fine line between getting things to look as good as your hardware can without going too far so that it looks worse again.

A few questions, have you made any changes in the Oculus Debug tool or Steam VR?
In the Oculus App, what are your resolution and refresh rate set to?

Soldato
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am using the Oculus Tray Tool mainly, and had a play with the OpenXR toolkit.
In the Meta app I have the headset on 72 and Rendering resolution set at 1.0x (3616 x 1856).
Link cable test shows 2.1Gbps

In the Oculus Tray tool its set to:

Game Settings

Default Super - 0
Default ASW Mode - 30Hz
Adaptive GPU Scaling - On
FoV Multiplier - 0.7 and 0.7
OVR Server Priority - Normal
Force MipMap On - false
Offset MipMap on - 0

Quest Link

Distortion Curvature - low
Encode Resolution - 2016
Encode Bitrate - 450
Encode Dynamic - Default
Dynamic Bitrate Max - 0
Sharpening - Auto

Set tha above after watching loads of different UTube videos. Now its playable, at between 21-36 Fps but looks like a 1990s pixel game in the headset, but quite nice on monitors.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am using the Oculus Tray Tool mainly, and had a play with the OpenXR toolkit.
In the Meta app I have the headset on 72 and Rendering resolution set at 1.0x (3616 x 1856).
Link cable test shows 2.1Gbps

In the Oculus Tray tool its set to:

Game Settings

Default Super - 0
Default ASW Mode - 30Hz
Adaptive GPU Scaling - On
FoV Multiplier - 0.7 and 0.7
OVR Server Priority - Normal
Force MipMap On - false
Offset MipMap on - 0

Quest Link

Distortion Curvature - low
Encode Resolution - 2016
Encode Bitrate - 450
Encode Dynamic - Default
Dynamic Bitrate Max - 0
Sharpening - Auto

Set tha above after watching loads of different UTube videos. Now its playable, at between 21-36 Fps but looks like a 1990s pixel game in the headset, but quite nice on monitors.

Those settings look ok. You could possibly try a higher resolution and see what the results are like.

In the Oculus debug tool I would change the encode bitrate to 250.

What value have you set for (PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp?

And you should for Link Sharpening, you should test it with the various settings and see which one you like most. You might like it best with it completely disabled.

While saying all that. I don't think you are going to have much luck with any thing to be honest. Your settings look ok. There isn't anything else you can do that's going to make a dramatic improvement. With your CPU and GPU, MSFS is always going to look poor on the Quest 2.

Sorry!!

Soldato
Many thanks, where do I find the (PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp?

I'll do some trying with the others, parents are up at the moment so no late nights as gaming computer is in the spare room!

And no need to say sorry, thanks for your help - I didnt expect much and the kids love the Quest so its all a good purchase all round - will start saving for a better computer!

Soldato
Love it but about to sell it for the second time around. Growing old and having responsibilities unfortunately results in it sitting and gaining dust. So the money is put to better use elsewhere :(

Soldato
ok, so knowing and also being told my system was really too old for MSFS I have updated to the best I can afford via the for sale forum to the following:

Ryzen 5 3600
32Gb Ram
AMD RX 6900 XT
m.2 1TB SSD

Now it looks better but I thought it would work a little smoother and with more detail - now I am sure it is me and I have to start setting it up again, so the journey begins...again!

Back
Top Bottom