*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

There could be several reasons for this.

Check what Firmware your headset is on. V27 is plagued with issues.

If it's just happening in the last few weeks it might be a problem with a Windows Update, these two updates are causing problems at the moment. KB5001330 and KB5001337.

Nvidia drivers. There is an ongoing issue with Nvidia drivers and Steam VR, causing stutters and lag in games if you are using any kind hardware monitoring software. The solution is to turn off all hardware monitoring before playing VR.

Can I ask you what's the exact make and model of your Router and is it dedicated for the Quest 2?

The router I can’t remember the brand but it’s a 5ghz EE router and I dedicate the 5Ghz to the Q2 only. It’s bit rate can consistently go to 150Mbs but I run at 100 to save 10ms of lag. In VD it always reports running at 866Mb all the time.

I am aware of the nvidia issue and have been for some time- I follow the huge thread on Nvidia by a chap called Funtastic. I’ve tried every driver like I said but all yield similar performance issues.
I didn’t realise about the windows issue so thank you for that.
As for Oculus, I’m on v27 so should I somehow force that through?

Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated

The router I can’t remember the brand but it’s a 5ghz EE router and I dedicate the 5Ghz to the Q2 only. It’s bit rate can consistently go to 150Mbs but I run at 100 to save 10ms of lag. In VD it always reports running at 866Mb all the time.

I am aware of the nvidia issue and have been for some time- I follow the huge thread on Nvidia by a chap called Funtastic. I’ve tried every driver like I said but all yield similar performance issues.
I didn’t realise about the windows issue so thank you for that.
As for Oculus, I’m on v27 so should I somehow force that through?

Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated

Is the Router also acting as the router for the house? And does it have Gigabit ethernet ports?

For Nvidia changing the drivers doesn't really work. You have to disable any hardware monitoring programs. Like Afterburner, Icue, Asus Aura etc. even the Nvidia or Steam Overlay can cause the problem.

There is a manual install for V27 (see further up in this thread), but, you should get it soon enough as they promised it would be rolled out in two weeks to everyone and the rollout started on the 12th.

So , the router is the router for the house. It’s next to and connected to the pc via gigabit Ethernet. Everything in the house connects to the 2.4Ghz. Only the quest is connected to the 5Ghz.

I’m currently uninstalling the KB5001330 update. I don’t have the other one you mentioned.

As for monitoring software - I use Afterburner to undervolt my gpu but that’s only a recent thing. I’ve also experienced the stutters with absolutely no monitoring software on so that’s why I re-installed afterburner after reading that undervolting cards can help (I used to do this with my Vega64).

My i7 8700k has just arrived so I’ll get that installed and see if that helps too.
I’ll see if I can manually push through v28 also.

FPS is a strange creature... I’m very sensitive to drops in FPS, always have been. I really feel them in Onward and Surv1v3 when they happen but yet in the Forest 45ish FPS feels actually pretty ok.

Last edited:
valve index controllers on the Quest 2 WIRELESS

As someone who has both an Index and a Quest 2, this seems pointless. The Index controllers are not hugely better than the Quest 2 ones, and in some ways (the grip button, button placement, and the analog stick) the Quest 2 controllers are better.

The biggest advantage of the Index - five finger tracking, isn't even supported by the vast majority of games. Most just emulate Quest controllers.

Yes, the Index controllers will have better tracking with the lighthouses, and you can strap them to your hands, but the hassle (at least for me) is just not worth it as the Quest 2 controller tracking works well enough.

I don't have v28 yet either, some point next week it should be out, since they've said airlink will be released to everyone at the same time at some point next week, so everyone has v28 already.

As someone who has both an Index and a Quest 2, this seems pointless. The Index controllers are not hugely better than the Quest 2 ones, and in some ways (the grip button, button placement, and the analog stick) the Quest 2 controllers are better.

The biggest advantage of the Index - five finger tracking, isn't even supported by the vast majority of games. Most just emulate Quest controllers.

Yes, the Index controllers will have better tracking with the lighthouses, and you can strap them to your hands, but the hassle (at least for me) is just not worth it as the Quest 2 controller tracking works well enough.
I'm glad someone else wasn't overly impressed with the index controllersid even go as far as being uncomfortable, yes tracking is excellent but the quest isn't that far behind it and the setup is so much easier on the quest.
You can buy straps for a couple of £ from China if you want straps like the index and they work just as well.

Still on v.27. is this roll out randomly selected?

and also, how long does it take for lenses from VR Optician to arrive?

My lenses took a couple of weeks but that was before covid and brexit. Worth the wait though.
I got the update a day after it launched so I'm assuming the order is related to how attractive or cool you look in your Facebook photo.

I'm glad someone else wasn't overly impressed with the index controllersid even go as far as being uncomfortable, yes tracking is excellent but the quest isn't that far behind it and the setup is so much easier on the quest.
You can buy straps for a couple of £ from China if you want straps like the index and they work just as well.

Yep, not that impressed with the Index controllers overall. The grip mechanic using the pressure sensor in particular is really, really finicky, and a nightmare to get working properly in many games.

Best thing I did for the Index controllers was get hold of some 3D printed grip boosters which bulk out the handles and make them far more comfortable. Still doesn't completely fix the awkward button placement though, due to the usless trackpad stuck right where the buttons ought to be.

I prefer the Quest 2 controllers, and my all-time favourites are the Rift controllers which were perfectly balanced, ergonomic, and melted into your hands, and made out of an alloy of adamantium and Nokia phone plastic.

Yep, not that impressed with the Index controllers overall. The grip mechanic using the pressure sensor in particular is really, really finicky, and a nightmare to get working properly in many games.

Best thing I did for the Index controllers was get hold of some 3D printed grip boosters which bulk out the handles and make them far more comfortable. Still doesn't completely fix the awkward button placement though, due to the usless trackpad stuck right where the buttons ought to be.

I prefer the Quest 2 controllers, and my all-time favourites are the Rift controllers which were perfectly balanced, ergonomic, and melted into your hands, and made out of an alloy of adamantium and Nokia phone plastic.
I sold them
Fefo not worth the £275 I'd have to pay when they went wrong

I sold them
Fefo not worth the £275 I'd have to pay when they went wrong

Yeah, bonkers that a set of Index controllers is almost the same as a Quest 2. What's even worse is they don't sell controllers separately. If you break a controller out of warranty you have to buy a pair.

On a slightly more serious note, they are releasing Airlink Today for everyone. People that don't have V28 yet will get it when their headsets update.

Back
Top Bottom