*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Apart form the odd game at the amusement arcade, I've never really been into FPS games, mostly because they gave me motion sickness. I will have to try one on the Quest to see if my tolerance has improved or if VR makes it better. Walkabout Mini Golf is on my wishlist. I looked at the trailer for Demeo and not sure about it as it seems like a turn based board game style that I usually avoid. I'm sure I looked at the trailer for Lone Echo but can't remember what I thought about it. Will have to look again. Same for Red Matter. I've become quite antisocial in my old age having got fed up of online games with both teenage and adult idiots, so wasn't really looking at Rec Room, though I did see lots of good reviews for it.

Motion sickness playing flatscreen FPS? If so, you're really going to want to make sure whatever you get in VR has teleport motion at first.

I was never a big FPS player, and really didn't fancy COD/PUBG type games, but really enjoy them in VR.

Most the randoms I've played with in real vr fishing and walkabout have been mature and enjoyable people. And of course the hangout gang here are all good fun (well, except melmac, but we don't tell him that... :P).

I had a feeling that everything was going far too smoothly. After ditching fb on the Q2 and updating the mobile app, I tried to update the PC software. It wouldn't let me log in as I now can't use the fb login, nor can I login using a legacy oculus account as it was merged with my now deleted fb account. *uckerberg has done it again!!

I had a feeling that everything was going far too smoothly. After ditching fb on the Q2 and updating the mobile app, I tried to update the PC software. It wouldn't let me log in as I now can't use the fb login, nor can I login using a legacy oculus account as it was merged with my now deleted fb account. *uckerberg has done it again!!
Well that's a wasted evening I'll never get back. Finally an option pops up to log into the PC software using a Mental account. Man, this is such a half baked rollout. Even the 'Contact Us' link is broken.

I've just been given the solution to my login problem. For me, the following worked:

- Within the Oculus home page, change the language a few times, then go back to your native language

- Open Task Manager, and kill all the Oculus tasks

When I then put my Rift S back on, that resulted in my Oculus sign in page presenting three options, ie. Facebook, Oculus and Meta sign in options. I was then able to successfully sign in using my new Meta ID.

Motion sickness playing flatscreen FPS? If so, you're really going to want to make sure whatever you get in VR has teleport motion at first.

I was never a big FPS player, and really didn't fancy COD/PUBG type games, but really enjoy them in VR.

Most the randoms I've played with in real vr fishing and walkabout have been mature and enjoyable people. And of course the hangout gang here are all good fun (well, except melmac, but we don't tell him that... :p).

I am here to make sure nobody has a good time.

:mad: = me

Mine's all working now. All I need now are some games :)

I got Beat Saber free, which is mildly amusing, though I end up with sweat dripping down my face and into my mouth in not a particularly long period of time.
I also bought Eleven Table Tennis based on the recommendations here, which I'm quite enjoying too, though it seems to never end when playing against AI. How many rounds are there?
Vader Immortal is probably my favourite so far, for the storyline. I do think it's a little overpriced for what you get but it is thoroughly enjoyable and I have spent an hour or two in the Dojo as well. I do wish there was more story stuff. Standing toe to toe with Vader is fab, and the Rancor gave me a couple of brown trouser moments :p

I've tried getting some Steam games to work on Linux via ALVR, but without much success. The ALVR instructions aren't great, but I did eventually manage to build it from Git (the current 18.x release version won't find the headset). Only one random free Steam VR game I downloaded actually works at the moment though and I don't see me playing it other than just to test. From the various web searches I've done, Project Cars is supposed to work, but all I get is a 3/4 size black screen on the pre-launch Steam landscape and then everything just starts juddering at the tiniest head movement.
Eleven Table Tennis is incredible!

Anyone using or recommend a basic RDP client that uses standard protocol without needing 3rd party software installed on the remote machine.

Maybe its possible to sideload the official MS Remote Desktop app from play store.

I installed Horizon world's recently. It's not bad. It's like a VR version of PlayStation home from like a decade ago but with more basic graphics.

There is a very basic zombie wave game that I played with some randoms and also a Marvel themed world where someone has created VR objects to play with (iron man hands, Thor hammer, silver surfer board etc). A star wars themed death match world as well with basic light sabre, boba fett jetpack, blaster etc.

If anyone is interested in trying it out or hanging out they can add my meta account "rp2000spain"

rp2000

Well that's a wasted evening I'll never get back. Finally an option pops up to log into the PC software using a Mental account. Man, this is such a half baked rollout. Even the 'Contact Us' link is broken.

And it's also borked the the install of 'NYT - Apollo 11 - as they shot it' https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2848418855172631/ which is now no longer available as a download on the oculus store. Fortunately I have it running on a backup machine which I won't be connecting to the web until I clone the drive for posterity.

I did get a fair bit of use out of this the first month or so, tried various games, Alyx and Bridge Crew were fun for a while.. But what's new? Anything worth a buy?

Back
Top Bottom