Oculus Quest 2 Pro / Oculus Quest 3 Thread

Note that's face tracking, which is separate from eye tracking.

It'd make sense for eye tracking to be in Quest 3 for foveated rendering and also games and experiences that could use your gaze for gameplay. Eye tracking is a lot easier and cheaper than face tracking.

Unfortunately if Quest 3 doesn't support eye tracking that means its unlikely many games or apps will support it on Pro.

It'll be interesting to see how the PCVR image quality stacks up compared to the Pro.

I have no doubt this will be a more powerful standalone headset, probably higher resolution but likely using a single panel with all the problems that brings of restricted FOV and unused pixels.

I think it's unlikely it''ll use the super bright and colourful QLED panels of the Pro.

Last edited:
Only scanned that video. A cheaper headset is a good idea. If it can handle everything a quest 2 can, it'll be very popular, even as a second device for families etc.

I am interested in Q3 but there are a lot of questions which will need an answer before i get too excited.

1) the camera placement on the leaked design has no top tracking vision... is that because the pro controllers will come with Q3 if so great.... that alone may make me jump, but if not the tracking cone will be smaller using the rings than on the Q2

2) will it be 2 screens or will it be 1 single panel like the Q2? a single panel means a lot of wasted potential out of the screens and limits the ipd range.

3) FOV...... i have not used one but i am told the FOV of the quest pro is a modest but noticable upgrade over the Q2. this is great. I am done with a realistic 100 degree FOV (or less) absolute minimum i want a genuine 110 degree, but to be honest 120 degree + is what i think we should expect as entry level vr for the next gen.

4) not expecting official support but unofficially i would like the controllers to track properly outside. the quest 1 was great - so long as not too sunny (even on sunny day was fine in the shade) but my quest 2 i never got to work outside.

resolution wise and screen door issues i am not worried about, and OLED for me is certainly nice to have but i can live without it.

It's almost pointless speculating right now. Best just wait until the official announcement.

It's impossible to base purchase decisions on speculation or even published specs and influencer reviews. It's only when hardware gets into normal users hands that you can get a handle on how good it really is.

I've seen too much speculation be wrong, and early reviews gloss over big flaws (cough, PSVR2... cough), or dismiss good hardware for spurious reasons (cough, Quest Pro... cough).

Seeing where the cameras apparently are, I have to assume it's going to be like the pro controllers, with the cameras that are in place, setup for hand tracking.

The Pro's front cameras are actually setup for depth correct MR, being at the average IPD value. This is why the Pro's MR size, scale and 3D depth matches your eyes so closely.

They are actually worse positioned for hand tracking than the Quest 2's 4 cameras as all 4 Quest 2 cameras can see your hands when they're in front of you, compared to the two front ones on the Pro.

Mark Zuckerberg: Price Of Meta's Next Headset 'Accessible For Lots Of People'​

Looks like the Quest 3 will be keenly priced. He says they're focused on the Metaverse too so that probably means eye/face tracking, AR capability, etc?

Mark Zuckerberg: Price Of Meta's Next Headset 'Accessible For Lots Of People'​

Looks like the Quest 3 will be keenly priced. He says they're focused on the Metaverse too so that probably means eye/face tracking, AR capability, etc?

Face tracking has been confirmed to be out. Eye tracking looks likely to be out based on component leaks I believe.

I'm desperately hoping eye tracking is still in. I assume it'll have colour passthrough for AR.

Fingers crossed it does have eye tracking, though the icing on the cake would be Mini LED screens as they are so much better than the Quest panel.

I'll be buying a quest 3 at launch. Mainly for beat saber and walkabout mini golf :D

I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to have two headsets, rather than trying to make do with one. I'll have a dedicated PC VR headset for the PC, but not 100% sure which one yet, then use the quest 3 for standalone gaming.

Not sure whether I'll buy a Q3. My purchase of the Q2 was massively assisted by the high used trade in prices of the Q1, I basically got my Q2 for about £20 after selling the Q1.

But if pcvr is good on it, I can see me desiring one alongside a GPU upgrade.

Not sure whether I'll buy a Q3. My purchase of the Q2 was massively assisted by the high used trade in prices of the Q1, I basically got my Q2 for about £20 after selling the Q1.

But if pcvr is good on it, I can see me desiring one alongside a GPU upgrade.
Since I bought both my quests before the price jump (one was a real bargain second hand), I'm going to aim to sell one about a month before the Q3. Hopefully go a long way to finding the Q3. Assuming the Q3 has eye tracking, if not I may hold on for some second hand savings.

Sold my Q1 the day that Q2 was announced. CEX was paying almost the same what I paid for the Q1. Be nice to repeat that trick again but Q2 prices on CEX are pretty depressed, and that's without a successor announced/launched.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom