Oculus Quest 2 Pro / Oculus Quest 3 Thread

i think this looks like fun, basically use your home as the backdrop to an fps game.

Yeah, this looks fun, but, come on, the reality would be far, far different. Look how neat and tidy and perfectly spaced everything is on that video.

After the initial novelty wore off, do you think you would still be playing this long term? Do you honestly see yourself running around your house playing this?

Maybe for young kids this would be ok, until their parents lose their minds!! :p

Or Maybe I am too negative :)

Yeah, this looks fun, but, come on, the reality would be far, far different. Look how neat and tidy and perfectly spaced everything is on that video.

After the initial novelty wore off, do you think you would still be playing this long term? Do you honestly see yourself running around your house playing this?

Maybe for young kids this would be ok, until their parents lose their minds!! :p

Or Maybe I am too negative :)
if i had a hmd with colour passthrough i'd certainly want to try it out, i think it looks ace :D.

The 3D printed lenses are not up to much apparently.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

hmmm that is a shame if true that we dont get the new controllers of the quest pro (I am gonna stick my neck out and say if that design is correct we WILL get the new controllers with it). i was really hoping they would be chucked in ESP after seeing the camera placement... there looks to be even less coverage from above your head. not an issue if you have the meta quest pro controllers but possibly a problem if it has the old controllers.

the quest 2 has 2 cameras pointing up at the corners.

Last edited:
If the Quest 3 has 4 cameras in similar positions to Quest then it will be using ring style controllers.

If it has cameras placed like the pro - two on the front and one on each side - it'll be using Pro style controllers, as they self track.

The Quest 2 style cameras are designed to capture as wide a field of view as possible so there's a large tracking area for the controllers.
Windows MR headsets had Pro style camera layouts which were far poorer for tracking controllers than the Quest ones.

The Pro's front cameras are optimised for the passthrough mode to give as close as possible to normal vision in terms of scale, stereo depth and distortion. It has side cameras for better headset tracking and possibly to give more point cloud data to the Pro controllers so they can track better.

Of course Quest 3 could be more like the Rift S, which has 5 cameras, as the newer XR3 chip may well be capbable of using more than 4 tracking cameras.

Ironically the Quest 2 is slightly better at tracking your hands in the centre of your FOV as 4 cameras can see your hands rather than the two of the Pro.

Back
Top Bottom