Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I notice the Climb is out today on Oculus Quest :-

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2376737905701576

I bought Lone Echo to play using Oculus link as it was on sale so might wait another week before buying The Climb though it looks really good and is cross buy which is nice.

Arizona Sunshine is also suppose to be out later this week though I might wait until the DLC packs are released for that as I've already played through the main campaign on PlaystationVR. I'm sure the game will be far more playable thanks to the Quest being wireless. I died so many time on PSVR thank to the tracking glitching out and Zombies attacking me from behind!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
It does not show there either. I watched a Youtube Vid and the guy had the Sidequest App in Library/Apps. Watched another and he had it on unknown sources. Not too bothered as using Sidequest Windows app with cable works okay.

With regards to Link just cant get that to work. First off the 3m USB 3.1 cable I bought off Amazon didnt work Oculus said it was a USB 2.0 no matter what port I had. So I got another 2m one I have had ages and that worked and Oculus recognised it as USB 3. The Oculus app/wrapper thing keeps crashing on the helmet and even when I enable it through the pop up I try running an Oculus game/app from Oculus windows and nothing happens just get a spinning circle on the game thumbnail.

So far Virtual Desktop looks great but need to test it further but wouldnt mind trying to get link working to see what is the best. Virtual D seems the way forward if fast enough as "no wires" and can play Steam VR.

What USB port are you using? I had problems trying to use a front port and had to plug into one on the back directly on the motherboard.

VD is great, but just in case you didn't know link can also play steam games just fine. I think I generally prefer VD as the cutting of the cord is really something, and I only get around 35ms of latency which is honestly good enough for most stuff. I also find the image quality to actually be higher in most instances strangely enough. The only thing putting me off is I occasionally get 4-5 seconds of judder (as though the frame rate is tanking but it's not) every now and again which I'm assuming is a networking issue but not one I've had time to explore.

Underboss
So hand tracking has arrived earlier than expected! Some guys already got it.

Rolling out now as update - hopefully won't take too long to hit all devices. I believe currently just oculus UI and some particular first party apps. Developer SDK next week.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/thumbs-up-hand-tracking-now-available-on-oculus-quest/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/e8du03/handtracking_megathread/

on the rift S to ?

if not then i might get a Quest next year

Soldato
What USB port are you using? I had problems trying to use a front port and had to plug into one on the back directly on the motherboard.

VD is great, but just in case you didn't know link can also play steam games just fine. I think I generally prefer VD as the cutting of the cord is really something, and I only get around 35ms of latency which is honestly good enough for most stuff. I also find the image quality to actually be higher in most instances strangely enough. The only thing putting me off is I occasionally get 4-5 seconds of judder (as though the frame rate is tanking but it's not) every now and again which I'm assuming is a networking issue but not one I've had time to explore.

No its not the USB port or the USB cable. Not sure what the issue is link does not want to know. Not too bothered as Virtual D gives me everything I want at the moment. The big thing for me is no wires. I tried ALVR and it is god damn awful. Even after playing about with the settings I was getting bad lag, judders etc. Did Google searches on possible improvements etc in end just went back to Virtual Desktop. It does what it says on the tin.

Soldato
Still not rolled out for me yet... I'm not even really going to use it much until we start seeing some 3rd party app integration but I just want to have a play around lol.

Soldato
Got link to work it was because the Oculus app was set to Public Test so V12 but my Quest is V11 and due to mismatch it would not connect. Doesnt tell you this had to find it out. Turn off public test app goes back to V11 and both connect. Tried both Rift (Spiderman) and Steam Vr (Star Wars) and it worked okay. Only problem was its wired. Shame. I think I will stick to Virtual D for time being.

Soldato
Got link to work it was because the Oculus app was set to Public Test so V12 but my Quest is V11 and due to mismatch it would not connect. Doesnt tell you this had to find it out. Turn off public test app goes back to V11 and both connect. Tried both Rift (Spiderman) and Steam Vr (Star Wars) and it worked okay. Only problem was its wired. Shame. I think I will stick to Virtual D for time being.

Glad you got it working, but yeah can be hard to go back to not having a wire. I think for seated games like project cars I may end up using link, as the cord doesn't matter much. For most games though VD is where it's at!

I just updated to v12 on the oculus desktop app ready for the quest update and it actually says "A Quest Software update is required for Oculus Link beta. Install the update from the about section of settings in your headset" in a red banner across the top of the app, so it seems they have fixed the issue of it not telling you.

edit - and the device itself in the devices list shows a red cross and says software update required

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not my experience... doesn't really matter how demanding the game is for VD wifi streaming. It is after all just sending an encoded video - doesn't really matter what is in any given frame of video in terms of graphical fidelity. I haven't had any problems at all with any of my steamVR games.

All it's doing is much the same as link, but sending the data over wifi instead of USB3.0

There will be a small overhead for encoding the HEVC video stream, but that applies to link too and is apparently very small on modern GPUs.

Soldato
He means the PC
That's not my experience... doesn't really matter how demanding the game is for VD wifi streaming. It is after all just sending an encoded video - doesn't really matter what is in any given frame of video in terms of graphical fidelity. I haven't had any problems at all with any of my steamVR games.

All it's doing is much the same as link, but sending the data over wifi instead of USB3.0

There will be a small overhead for encoding the HEVC video stream, but that applies to link too and is apparently very small on modern GPUs.

I meant the base PC having problems playing Skyrim ie if its modded. Possibly confusion over how it works, @ShiWarrior its like Google Stadia, or Steam streaming to your TV etc. The source PC does all the processing.

@Zeeflyboy what settings do you use in VD? I have the left hand side options set to High (I tried Insane on the bottom one which didnt seem to make much difference). I had noticed if you try the one on the right, HDR is it or the lighting one it really started to lag.

Soldato
Ah ok, I misunderstood - I thought you were inferring it as a limitation of VD streaming itself.

Yes, you do of course need a PC powerful enough to play the game in VR to begin with.

The lighting option (you are referring to "dynamic lighting" right?) shouldn't have any performance impact at all as it is just referring to whether the lights dim in the virtual environments after a period of inactivity of the controllers. Most likely to have been a co-incidence if you noticed performance change after enabling that.

I don't notice any real difference between high and insane, I generally just leave it on high. I also leave video frame rate on high, and I also use controller prediction and sliced encoding which reduce both perceived latency and actual latency respectively.

Back
Top Bottom