Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato

In Death is one of my all-time favourite VR games.

Can't wait to play this untethered, as you turn around a lot in this game.

Should be an awesome experience if you have access to a large playspace with room to walk around and dodge.

Soldato
Looking to stream Alyx wirelessly, I understand you need virtual desktop to do so?

Is there anyway to get this for free? I note that it seems to be £15 on the Quest directly, but £10.49 through the Oculus application? Why is this / is there a difference?

Associate
Yeh that's quite high - mine tends to be around the 25-30 range. I do think that virtual desktop is worth the cash - though I haven't tried ALVR to be fair. I get some 'twitchiness' at times even with my PC wired to my router now but the Virtual desktop experience has generally been very impressive.

You need to buy to version from the oculus quest store then sidequest the latest version to allow you to play Alex so the cheap one isn't an option.

Associate
OK thanks, that's working but seems a little sluggish (i.e. the controllers seems a little laggy in following my hands)

My PC is connected to Wi-Fi at about 500mbps (and i'd assume the quest is similar).

ALVR seems to be reporting a 30.0 Mbps SentRate and a TotalLatency of 79.0 ms (which seems high?).

According to those in the know, for a good virtual desktop experience, your PC needs to be connecting to your router by ethernet. I think having both the PC and the quest connected wirelessly introduces too much delay. Dont know anything about ALVR, but that might have the same issue.

I typicaly see 25-30mS latency on my VD setup.

Soldato
Anyone got any ideas why i'm not getting sound via ALVR? It's ticked to stream to the Quest but nothing is coming through.

Nevermind, had to install the cable driver.

Last edited:
Associate
for using Oculus Link with a Quest, should the Steam VR settings be left at default resolution per eye which is 2000x2192 or dialled down to closely match 1440x1600 (or left to auto)?
I've tried reducing the resolution to what I think is native (1440x1580 52%) but it look terrible

Soldato
Looking to stream Alyx wirelessly, I understand you need virtual desktop to do so?

Is there anyway to get this for free? I note that it seems to be £15 on the Quest directly, but £10.49 through the Oculus application? Why is this / is there a difference?

Virtual Desktop for the price is worth the money. It opens up all the Steam, Oculus and independent games(eg Project Stardust) plus all the Sidequest Apps and Games. Increases the playability on the Quest tenfold, like Oculus Link, but wireless.

Need PC connecting to router via network cable.
A decent WIFI
Buy VD from Quest Store - DO NOT INSTALL
Put Quest in Dev mode
Install Sidequest
Get Virtual Desktop from Sidequest store. (This version will be latest release and allows game streaming)
Install Windows Virtual Desktop client and run.
Run Virtual Desktop on Quest.
Enjoy.

Soldato
Virtual Desktop for the price is worth the money. It opens up all the Steam, Oculus and independent games(eg Project Stardust) plus all the Sidequest Apps and Games. Increases the playability on the Quest tenfold, like Oculus Link, but wireless.

Need PC connecting to router via network cable.
A decent WIFI
Buy VD from Quest Store - DO NOT INSTALL
Put Quest in Dev mode
Install Sidequest
Get Virtual Desktop from Sidequest store. (This version will be latest release and allows game streaming)
Install Windows Virtual Desktop client and run.
Run Virtual Desktop on Quest.
Enjoy.

very good, i'll have a look at this

Soldato
someone else posted on another forum:

Thanks to some games being “cross buy” you can purchase the Rift version and get the Quest version free.

It might also be worth noting that another highly anticipated first person shooter that is on its way to the Quest is also on sale in the Rift store. “Onward” has been confirmed by its developer that the Quest version will be cross buy with it’s Rift version. Currently on sale for £9.55, a saving of 49% on its regular price in the Rift store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1216866718419997/

Associate
someone else posted on another forum:

Thanks to some games being “cross buy” you can purchase the Rift version and get the Quest version free.

It might also be worth noting that another highly anticipated first person shooter that is on its way to the Quest is also on sale in the Rift store. “Onward” has been confirmed by its developer that the Quest version will be cross buy with it’s Rift version. Currently on sale for £9.55, a saving of 49% on its regular price in the Rift store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1216866718419997/

I was under the impression that it was just cross play and not cross buy?

http://www.downpourinteractive.com/devblog

"Because the Oculus Rift and the Oculus Quest are two completely different platforms, Onward will not be available through cross-buy."

Back
Top Bottom