Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Nice. I have a Quest and would support incremental upgrades every year or so, provided there was compatibility across headsets in the eco system

Soldato
If it had a higher refresh rate, better comfort and better PC connect functionality, then I'd be tempted to sell my current Quest and get the new one.

Apparently the 'jedi' controllers that the new headset uses will be backward compatible with the original Quest, so there's another upgrade path if needed.

Soldato
Just started Half Life, in Lambda1VR. Absolutely amazing!

Not only does it bring back memories of playing on my Voodoo 2, but it plays amazingly well. Awesome!

Associate

if that’s anything like real, I’m glad I didn’t sell my 3 month old quest to cash in and get this one will def wait see what actually gets released

no real ipd adjustment looking at that image and going by comments on reddit, but also comments stating scepticism over its legitimacy

but as with the RTX3000 series it all adds to the drama and Queens alike :)

Soldato
No no no, eye tracking and automatic motorised IPD like the varjo ;)

If this is genuine I really hope this doesn't end up as a 1 step forward 2 steps back sort of dealio, but on the plus side if it is just a cheaper to manufacture version of the quest with marginal improvements and some negatives like loss of IPD at least I don't need to upgrade the quest!

Soldato
If this is genuine I really hope this doesn't end up as a 1 step forward 2 steps back sort of dealio, but on the plus side if it is just a cheaper to manufacture version of the quest with marginal improvements and some negatives like loss of IPD at least I don't need to upgrade the quest!

Almost seems like a CV1 vs Rift S situation again.

I'm not sure I'd upgrade my Quest to this unless performance was massively better. I can see original Quests still holding their value if the new one is LCD with no IPD. Some people can't use the Rift S (or the Go) because their IPD is out of range.

Soldato
It's been pointed out on twitter that the controllers shown are different to the original Quest touch controllers. They seem to be closer in form factor to the original Rift CV1 controllers, with a rounder face plate and thicker grip. Hopefully they're made out of the Nokia Phone plastic/Adamantium alloy that the original CV1 controllers were made out of. :D

Soldato
My CV1 controllers have superficial battle scars from hitting the ceiling (mainly playing Robo Recall and In Death), but no significant damage. One of my Quest controllers has a hairline crack after bashing into a wall. Nowhere near as robust.

Soldato
If that image is correct it feels like a real step backwards.

The big problem with the current Quest is they can't make enough of them. This looks like a cheaper version that's easier to manufacture in volume. If it's cheaper than the original (say £300, or even £250) it will fly off the shelves, even if it does compromise on some features.

Soldato
The big problem with the current Quest is they can't make enough of them. This looks like a cheaper version that's easier to manufacture in volume. If it's cheaper than the original (say £300, or even £250) it will fly off the shelves, even if it does compromise on some features.

True it will sell at that price for sure but then its a replacement for the Go not an improved Quest 2 with better performance and improved hybrid PCVR.

Soldato
It's been pointed out on twitter that the controllers shown are different to the original Quest touch controllers. They seem to be closer in form factor to the original Rift CV1 controllers, with a rounder face plate and thicker grip. Hopefully they're made out of the Nokia Phone plastic/Adamantium alloy that the original CV1 controllers were made out of. :D

Weren't the new controllers codename Jedi or something because it was like using the "Force" as in better hand movement to articulate just what happens in VR ?

Soldato
In-Death just released, and it's great! It nails the classic In-Death PC gameplay. There are some compromises - blurrier graphics, shorter draw distance, slightly fewer enemies on-screen but overall it's an excellent port, and improves on the PC version in a number of ways.

Back
Top Bottom