Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
someone else posted on another forum:

Thanks to some games being “cross buy” you can purchase the Rift version and get the Quest version free.

It might also be worth noting that another highly anticipated first person shooter that is on its way to the Quest is also on sale in the Rift store. “Onward” has been confirmed by its developer that the Quest version will be cross buy with it’s Rift version. Currently on sale for £9.55, a saving of 49% on its regular price in the Rift store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1216866718419997/
For those using VD, I'm guessing a PC based rift version (especially @£9.95) will be better that a standlone quest version ?

Don
How fast is that Chinese strap to change size for different heads? My son and I frequently take turns in the headset but it's a faff to re-adjust it. He's only 6 so has a significantly smaller head then me.

Soldato
@Rilot It takes seconds, I swap between myself, and my 8 & 11 year old boys. Just a quick turn of the wheel on the back.

Even fits my 4 year olds head!

Its holding up really well, no problems to report yet.

Soldato
The public test channel V19 now has quality settings for Oculus link - you can select between Quality, Balanced and Performance.
To get it to show I had to connect my Quest, then re-run link setup, and restart the client.

Opt into beta Oculus PC client updates to get it.

Soldato
OP
The public test channel V19 now has quality settings for Oculus link - you can select between Quality, Balanced and Performance.
To get it to show I had to connect my Quest, then re-run link setup, and restart the client.

Opt into beta Oculus PC client updates to get it.
Think you could already do this via OTT.

Soldato
For those using VD, I'm guessing a PC based rift version (especially @£9.95) will be better that a standlone quest version ?

The PC version will be higher fidelity of course, but if playing wirelessly via VD the latency will put you at a significant disadvantage in online play. Works fine for offline play where it’s hard to notice the lag in my opinion... in online however and extra 30ms or so can be the difference between life and death!

so in short I’d say it depends... if you intend to play online and want no wires then the native quest version is probably going to be best.

]
And can you tell any difference?

There is definitely improved compression in dark areas on the latest nvidia drivers (both on link and with VD streaming). A good game to see it on is Alyx... in the grey landing screen after booting up you used to be able to see significant blocky bands in the dark grey area when you looked to your back right and left... seems to be gone now.

worth noting even with PTC v19 installed unless you have the latest Nvidia drivers you won’t see the graphics option (or at least I didn’t’).

Is the Rift S still the best budget tethered headset?

I think it must be pretty much the best bang for the buck in terms of polished experience, ease of use, oculus software etc on a tethered headset. Latest updates have proved to be quite buggy for rift S users I believe but seems to mostly be sorted for now from what I gather.

Soldato
Apparently there is a new version of the Quest coming. It's not really a new Quest but more of an incremental update to the old one. Better Ergonomics, higher refresh rate etc.

This would definitely tempt me. Would be a good second headset to have around the place.

Back
Top Bottom