Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Soldato
any idea when a consumer version would be ready? Or when it would be possible to preorder one?(1080p version)

Would love to try out the dev kit as well to see if it really is the revolution in gaming...

Permabanned
That's a real nice post by the OP.

But, the stigma remains, you look like a FULLY STAR SWEAR WORDS when wearing a VR set.

Permabanned
Once you try it, you wont give a rat's behind

I will you know.

I'm employed as a male model.
I'm actually very successful and my name is as much an asset as my stunning good looks.
Should some sneaky paparazzi get a pic of me geeking out in my computer room with that thing on, well, career over.

Last edited:

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I dont regret my purchase one bit, even at 720p, use it every single day

Do you think it will have lasting appeal once the excitement has started to wear off? I do wonder how good it is to play games on in pure accuracy, easy of movement terms compared to mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
Associate
No, the lenses refocus your vision. It's the most stress free and clearest 3d I've ever seen (as in no crosstalk/double images that you get from a 3d TV/monitor).

That's cool to know. I just realised how blurry things are close to my eyes.. I thought it was my eyesight but i'm pretty sure its the same for everyone haha.

Associate
I got mine yesterday, A strange but amazing experience! Resolution is very low and the only thing that ruins the immersion at the moment.

War Thunder in it is amazing, I have flown small aircraft irl and this is the closest I have ever felt to the real thing.

Once they have up-ped the resolution this will be game changing! :)

Associate
What type of video connector do you get on these? Is it DVI only and is it some sort of pass through cable that fits inline to your current monitor (I see most plays duplicate the rift on the monitor). I run 2 screens on my 760 and wouldnt want to mess about unplugging one of the DVI cables for the screens. I have a 3rd output in the form of HDMI I suppose.

Soldato
I'm tempted also but it would be just my luck that a 1080p would be launched next month. Is this likely to be the case?

Associate
What type of video connector do you get on these? Is it DVI only and is it some sort of pass through cable that fits inline to your current monitor (I see most plays duplicate the rift on the monitor). I run 2 screens on my 760 and wouldnt want to mess about unplugging one of the DVI cables for the screens. I have a 3rd output in the form of HDMI I suppose.

Its HDMI or DVI, no pass through though im afraid

300 usd is roughly £197 .... soo tempted.. what kind of spec pc do you need to run this?

basically if you can run games at 1080p you are good to go, not that there is much actually playable as yet!

Tribz,

very unlikely they will release a 1080p dev kit.. This really isnt something to buy if you expect to plug it in and play games, however its deffo the future of gaming, it feels so real and immersive at times even at the low resolution. And gaming at higher resolution with them would be a joy!

Permabanned
OP
I'm tempted also but it would be just my luck that a 1080p would be launched next month. Is this likely to be the case?

Not a chance, 1080p is still experimental prototype and in no way even ready for devkit status. The rift community will have a 1080p screen as a swap out soon enough. Check the mtbs forums if you have your doubts

Back
Top Bottom