Oculus Rift

Mine arrived today! :D

WTsjVug.jpg

Demoed it to a couple of folk in the office and you get some pretty intense reactions from a lot of people that don't know what to expect.

My office is full of 40 to 60 year olds and every one of them was completely blown away with the rollercoaster demo.

In my eyes it's nothing more or less than I expected. I know what its limitations are (screen door, motion blur etc) but you really do notice them less as you let yourself go.

Looking forward to playing with it more this evening.

Mine arrived today! :D

WTsjVug.jpg

Demoed it to a couple of folk in the office and you get some pretty intense reactions from a lot of people that don't know what to expect.

My office is full of 40 to 60 year olds and every one of them was completely blown away with the rollercoaster demo.

In my eyes it's nothing more or less than I expected. I know what its limitations are (screen door, motion blur etc) but you really do notice them less as you let yourself go.

Looking forward to playing with it more this evening.

Really tempted to get a dev kit.:D

I'm surprised that there isn't more attention to the rift on here. This NEEDS xbox and Kinect support.

In my 30 something years of gaming, this has got me truly godsmacked with the possibilities.

What will the main differences be between the dev kit and final release? Are we talking better screens or something more software related? I want one so bad!

I would like to use it to walk around gta's city using icenhancer and fps mod with oculus. Just something i would like to do :)

What will the main differences be between the dev kit and final release? Are we talking better screens or something more software related? I want one so bad!

I would like to use it to walk around gta's city using icenhancer and fps mod with oculus. Just something i would like to do :)

Apparently it's possible that the final version will at least have better res and is likely to be lighter and possibly otherwise better.

I kind of dismissed this but being the fanboi I am seeing Carmack move into it more seriously has kindled my interest somewhat. My hand was hovering over the dev kit purchase button earlier today.

I got the dev kit. It's amazing etc. but isn't really suited to mainstream use yet.

All it needs is a better screen, some well-coded games that make use of the API, and some other features such as a bit of positional tracking.

It really is the future. Having tried it in HL2 (a 10 year old game!) it really shines - so we can only be a couple of years away from a proper & brilliant commercial product with the games to match.

I tried Slender: The Arrival in it, and it's terrifying with headphones.

How good is the current screen quality? Can it be used with anything with hdmi? It will be used for pc mainly but is is compatable with consoles?

Thanks

How good is the current screen quality? Can it be used with anything with hdmi? It will be used for pc mainly but is is compatable with consoles?

Thanks

It can be used with HDMI but you will need a adapter to covert it to DVI, it does not support consoles at the moment but they have said that this is a future goal.

I remember seeing a power point slide of what the rift guys are planning, though it was just for marketing purposes only. They said they were hoping it was going to go like the slide, being that it displayed the number of units shipped up to the consumer version.

It had a couple of milestones on it. One of which was a HD version of the Dev Kit which looked like it would go out in the fall of this year.

It probably wont be the case, but Im holding back. If im gonna buy a dev kit, it is going to be the HD version!

Edit... here goes...

http://www.pcper.com/image/view/22012?return=node/56888

In the 3rd bubble, its says DK2. Dev kit 2. Im hoping that will be HD units.

Last edited:
The demo's are looking amazing!:eek:

So up for this!:D

As soon as the res is a bit better (from others reports), and the setup is less manual for the general product release i'm in for sure!:cool:

Was reading the oculus rift forums last night, there's some fantastic work being done. I especially like one of the demos where the inventory is a hologram on the users wrist, using those "hand stick thingys" for hand tracking.

I did a good chunk of work at university on 3d and vr, was fantastic fun :)

Can't wait for the consumer version to be released. I will 100% be getting one.

It will also be interesting to see how they can hook this up with non-gaming computer use. Instead of having multiple physical monitors on your desk you could wear one of these and have a whole bank of virtual monitors sitting in front of you, in whatever surroundings you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom