Oculus Rift

Have a friend who does the coding for one of the games studios, who gave me a load of reasons why this would be crap... stereopsis being the only depth cue, headaches and eyestrain predicted, etc...

But it's still something I'd love to try.
I'm a little short-sighted myself, but fortunately within every parameter for all teh 3D things out there and absolutely LOVE properly done 3D films, so the OR is definitely something that gets my attention.
The comparatively low price of the Dev kit almost had me buying one, but I held off when I realised I don't know anything to make it worthwhile, heh heh!

I'll likely get one when they come out though, especially if the likes of Star Citizen and Elite support it!
I hope you slapped him and told him not to be a plonker.

Really wanted to try this but saw the queues at Play Expo and thought I'd be better off playing pinball. Sounds like I was right :)

Have a friend who does the coding for one of the games studios, who gave me a load of reasons why this would be crap... stereopsis being the only depth cue, headaches and eyestrain predicted, etc...

But it's still something I'd love to try.
I'm a little short-sighted myself, but fortunately within every parameter for all teh 3D things out there and absolutely LOVE properly done 3D films, so the OR is definitely something that gets my attention.
The comparatively low price of the Dev kit almost had me buying one, but I held off when I realised I don't know anything to make it worthwhile, heh heh!

I'll likely get one when they come out though, especially if the likes of Star Citizen and Elite support it!

There is no eyestrain at all, the lenses are focused at infinity so its just like you see IRL :)

The 3D effect is amazing, it really is the next "WOW" factor after getting over the scale of everything. 3d films will be amazing in the commercial version, I enjoy watching trailers in the virtual cinema now and the resolution is pants. IT really is like you are sat in a cinema :)

I hope you slapped him and told him not to be a plonker.

Well, I don't know that much about the Rift myself, so if it does only alter one depth cue then everything he was saying (albeit explained in Tasky-Dummy-Talk, for my benefit) about disparity, convergence, parallax, occlusion makes sense and may well give *him* a headache... more so as he's the programmer and far more likely to understand depth perception in scene composition for a computer game. I only know the basics from speaking with people who do 3D filming in movies.

But said friend is also aware that while I will take his thoughts on board, NOTHING will stop me from trying it out if I really want to, anyway!! :D
Against his strong opinions, I've gotten myself some utterly geeky peripherals and been all the happier I did. So he obviously has his own tastes and reasoning behind it - He'll ditch LED components in favour of using the power for performance, for example.

I just like hearing other perspectives. As is, I wouldn't know what to do with the Dev kit, so it'd be wasted on me.... I just want one!! :)

I will be watching this thread like a hawk, looking forward to the Oculous but I will be waiting for the consumer version. I will probably wait until there are a fair few reviews with hoepfully first hand comments on here before I buy one.

Had won one of these off eBay the other week, but it only went for £310, think the dishonest clown had wanted more so spun some tales and resold it for more. Refund issued today.
Bit gutted as had went eBay approach to save on the >1 month delivery time.

Will be ordering from Oculus site when refund clears next week, but had question for those whose orders had arrived.
How does it work for the import duty being paid? I've been lucky enough in past for previous purchases to not be picked up.
Do you receive a letter stating what needs paid before package would be delivered?

Is it still roughly ~1 month for the delivery time?

Cheers

The last time I imported something was about 10 years ago and I had to pay the delivery company the tax prior to delivering. Have a google for import duty calculator and you should be able to work our roughly what you will end up paying.

Will be ordering from Oculus site when refund clears next week, but had question for those whose orders had arrived.
How does it work for the import duty being paid? I've been lucky enough in past for previous purchases to not be picked up.
Do you receive a letter stating what needs paid before package would be delivered?

Is it still roughly ~1 month for the delivery time?

Cheers

There's no import duty to be paid if you're in the UK, they sorted that out fairly early on. They bulk ship to a delivery center in the UK and then reship them out from there.

That's incorrect. The devkit screen is 1280x800 split vertically, giving 640x800 per eye.

You get less pixels per eye than that, a lot of the screen is non visible due to the optics. The brain compensates a for a lot though and you don't really notice the the low resolution except on small distant objects and things like text.

So is the final unit going to be a single (higher res) screen with each eye simply seeing a different half of it, or will it be two screens, one for each eye?

So is the final unit going to be a single (higher res) screen with each eye simply seeing a different half of it, or will it be two screens, one for each eye?

I can't see them changing the way they do things now which is a single screen.

BTW anyone who struggles to watch the videos in 3D try this trick... two loo roll inners against your phone. Maybe don't do this in public though.

I think it will be one screen for both eyes as thats how its done now and it would need to be pixel perfect alignment of the screens.

Back
Top Bottom