Oculus Rift

I think it will be one screen for both eyes as thats how its done now and it would need to be pixel perfect alignment of the screens.

Ahhh! And as that video suggests, it doesn't need to render some of the "screen" as it's out of sight... In effect it just needs to render two circles on the 1920x1080 canvas (or what ever res it is).

I can't see them changing the way they do things now which is a single screen.

BTW anyone who struggles to watch the videos in 3D try this trick... two loo roll inners against your phone. Maybe don't do this in public though.

haha does that work? going to have to try it as ive never been able to figure out how to watch these in 3d.

Competition - http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...inal-display-is-like-oculus-rift-on-steroids/

The Virtual Retinal Display they’ve developed has no screen – it actually projects images directly onto your retinas, which gives it a number of advantages over LCD-based headsets.

For starters, the image quality is reportedly much better. The goggles use an advanced micromirror array to beam two separate WXGA (1,280×768-pixel resolution) images at each eye, which is essentially double the effective resolution of currently-available Oculus Rift developer kits. Additionally, since these images are being generated with reflected rather than emitted light, they more accurately mimic the way we see in the real world. Pixels blend together more naturally this way, and, since there’s no screen anywhere, the wearer won’t experience the dreaded “screen door effect” that generally occurs when LCD’s or OLEDs are placed close to the eye.

they arent really VR though right? Its the difference between immersive surround vision and looking at a cinema screen? I also thought the guy said it was not designed for gaming. In any event my opinion is the more competition the better!

When are the consumer version of these ment to come out?

Nobody is saying but late 2014 has been mentioned.

they arent really VR though right? Its the difference between immersive surround vision and looking at a cinema screen? I also thought the guy said it was not designed for gaming. In any event my opinion is the more competition the better!
Think they are direct alternative to Oculus in what they offer...

That said, I believe the FOV offered by them is smaller than Oculus which is a downside of course!

haha does that work? going to have to try it as ive never been able to figure out how to watch these in 3d.

Loo roles work for me. My problem was that with my phone I could see 3D by holding the phone close to my face but then I'd lose the ability to focus as it was too close. I was kind of seeing blurry 3D. As I moved the phone slowly away I'd gain focus but lose the 3D.

what's the current from order to delivery time on it?

I sold mine a few months back due to getting motion sickness. I sort of miss it and wouldn't mind another, although I think it's best if I don't try half life 2 anymore.

It's like playing a game from the late 90s such is the crappiness of the resolution.

Got one delivered on Tuesday,kids love it, for me its like riding the vomit comet.

I sold mine a few months back due to getting motion sickness. I sort of miss it and wouldn't mind another, although I think it's best if I don't try half life 2 anymore.

Oh well, I just ordered one. :p

They have supposedly upped the manufacturing of them and deliveries are quoted to be around 4 weeks, i waited around 6.

Oh well, I just ordered one. :p

Even with the puke factor,its still a cool piece of kit.The higher res version is supposed to be a lot less nauseous.

A couple of years from now with the advancements in screen tech i think they will become main stream,the VR cinema program has a lot of potential.

There's currently an alternate opt in beta for HL2 that (for me) seems more comfortable than the first VR implementation. For my own curiosity, I took screenshots of exactly the same location in both versions, and if I flip between them I have to refocus, so they've definitely changed something (and for the better it seems).

Just as a quick reference for anyone who has one on order, all the below on Steam support the Rift (there may be others, these are just ones that I have on my account):

AaaaaAAaaaaa!!! for the Awesome (note it's the second game, not the first one)
Doorways
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Half Life 2
Kairo
Lunar Flight
Retrovirus
Strike Suit Zero
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Team Fortress 2

All are worth a look, with the exception of Retrovirus (poor implementation) and Strike Suit Zero (which would be great if they'd sort out the HUD).

Lunar Flight is a must have if you get a Rift, and Euro Truck 2 also plays really well.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info.

What about any new recently released content in games/demos? Any new mind-blowing ones popped up?

The main ones I enjoyed when I owned one were Titans of space, Delta Draconis and the VR-coaster.

I think the last games I tried were Retro-Virus, Doom3 and Kairo.

[edit] I see you edited your post to show more info. Nice one!

Last edited:
Cheers for the info.

What about any new recently released content in games/demos? Any new mind-blowing ones popped up?

The main ones I enjoyed when I owned one were Titans of space, Delta Draconis and the VR-coaster.

I think the last games I tried were Retro-Virus, Doom3 and Kairo.

[edit] I see you edited your post to show more info. Nice one!

Don't know if you played any of the stuff from the VR Jam, but there's quite a lot in the way of demos there, some of which appear to be getting turned in to full games.

Epic Dragon, Dreadhalls, SuperMegaMega, Dumpy and TimeRifters are all worth a look. Dreadhalls (and I say this without exaggeration) is the single most scary experience I've ever had playing a game. Ever. Play it at night, with headphones, and alone.

There's a list of the entries here.

Back
Top Bottom