Oculus Rift

My kit arrived last week, I've been on it pretty much every day since then, started with 10 minute sessions and now I can play for an hour before I start to feel a bit strange.

A few of my friends have tried it too, after calibrating them and getting them to stand up I then turn on the test utility program, pretty much a holodeck style room with a man, a car, a table and a door in it. Every single person has been amazed so far when they first experience that room.

Some of the best demos I have tried are

'Malfunction' - very well made demo that has the advantage of letting you see your feet below you as you walk, and your virtual self in the mirror as you pass it. It also has a great twist.

'Titans of space' - very relaxing space simulation that moves you in a little cockpit around the solar system.

'Dumpy going elephants' - a great demo that gives the user a degree of control by simulating an elephant trunk on the front of their face, it lets them smash up stuff by swinging it around. Lots of physics, things flying high up in the air and some weird bendy impossible landscapes.

This looks awesome. Im not sure I can wait for the retail version tbh.

I dont think its that badly priced at, what £190 ish?

If I were you, given where we are now, wait for the retail version. The current dev kit is exactly that - a dev kit. It's a fun toy, but you will inevitably (like me) want to buy the retail version too.

The biggest thing that makes me suggest you don't buy now is the screen door effect (i.e. the black lines between the pixels on the display). For me, it breaks the immersion factor massively, and shows it for what it is currently - a prototype for developers.

But... if you have the money spare for the dev kit, and fancy some fun, go for it :D

Yeah I've really looked for the screen door effect, but it hasn't manifested itself in my vision when I've been using it, although my sister did spot it. Interesting that some are more sensitive than others to it.

If I were you, given where we are now, wait for the retail version. The current dev kit is exactly that - a dev kit. It's a fun toy, but you will inevitably (like me) want to buy the retail version too.

The biggest thing that makes me suggest you don't buy now is the screen door effect (i.e. the black lines between the pixels on the display). For me, it breaks the immersion factor massively, and shows it for what it is currently - a prototype for developers.

But... if you have the money spare for the dev kit, and fancy some fun, go for it :D

I understand what your saying mate and you are probably right. However its going to be a year at least before retail version and I think its a steal at £190

I'm just impatient lol

I haven't tried the original but I tried the prototype HD version at eurogamer. I wasn't impressed, then again that may have simply been the game I was playing (some dogfighting game)

Negatives:

If you wear glasses you WILL be in pain. The unit pushed onto mine very hard.
Unit needs to be in a very specific position otherwise everything becomes blurry.
I could see the pixels very easily.

Positives:

Unique experience, the game I don't think the game I tried really let it shine.
The gear wasn't heavy even with headphones on so I don't think I would be getting a neck ache with prolonged use.

That's all that springs to mind I'm afraid.

Normally dubious about these type of things but after the write-up in Custom PC, I'm pretty excited about it. I would love to play Half-life 2 with it, it sounds absolutely amazing.

Did anyone else have a go at Eurogamer this year?

I was surprised at how little effort the Rift stall had made.

I haven't tried the original but I tried the prototype HD version at eurogamer. I wasn't impressed, then again that may have simply been the game I was playing (some dogfighting game)

Negatives:

If you wear glasses you WILL be in pain. The unit pushed onto mine very hard.
Unit needs to be in a very specific position otherwise everything becomes blurry.
I could see the pixels very easily.

Positives:

Unique experience, the game I don't think the game I tried really let it shine.
The gear wasn't heavy even with headphones on so I don't think I would be getting a neck ache with prolonged use.

That's all that springs to mind I'm afraid.

I thought I the retail version is adjustable so you dont need to wear glasses?

Its very exciting checking the new crop of tech demos each week, they always seem to bring something new and different to the table. Experiences which you just cant get any other way. I dont use mine for general gaming, I would if the res was higher but I do use it for watching movies, Yellow submarine and Tron in dome projection on VR Player was extremely trippy. I dont regret my purchase one bit, it's a completely new paradigm in video gaming and everyone with the remotest interest in interactive entertainment should see it as a matter of urgency.

Project Update #54: Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift
Posted by Frontier Developments ♥ Like
Great news that we know many of you have been hoping for – today we’re announcing that Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift. We’re very excited by this and if you aren’t aware of what Oculus Rift is then visit their website to find out more:
http://www.oculusvr.com/
I’m sure you’ll also be pleased to learn that the Oculus Rift version of Elite:Dangerous will be available to ALL backers that have an Oculus Rift headset for no extra cost.
Here’s David’s opinion on this:
“We’ve been playing with the Oculus Rift dev kits and are excited about the potential – just glancing around your cockpit or being totally immersed in a space battle. Many of our backers have made it clear that they would like Oculus Rift support – and so do we! We’re very pleased with the results so far.”

No big news here release-wise, but Elite is due out March 2014, all things going well. Its tenuous, but does that mean we can expect a retail oculus in time.... Hey im stretching but im remaining stubbornly optimistic.

Last edited:
Would love to get one of these, shame the retail release is far away. I know I'll regret buying the development kit and I'm not buying it twice :p

I thought I the retail version is adjustable so you dont need to wear glasses?

I heard that too, when I was testing the unit the guy did not tell me to take off my glasses.

I spent an hour queuing for the occulus stand, that guy from the gadget show was there too taking pictures with people. After I had my go I finally went around all the various stalls and discovered other people were demoing occulus too on different games... I really could not be arsed for another queue at that point.

Back
Top Bottom