Oculus Rift

the newest version show at CES looks very good. basically Track IR on steroids lol definitely keeping an eye on this. can you imagine playing he new Alien game with this? would scare the crap out of you lol

After watching some Markiplier horror game vids with the Oculus Rift, I now have a major interest in it. A couple of the vids were pretty scrary just watching the output so I can only imagine what it was like to play - Dungeon crawler with weeping angel style enemies + Headphones + Oc Rift = new pants time!

New version of the rift is being demo'd.

OLED screen with motion sensing camera.

clicky

Can't wait to have a go at this version. Hope a new dev kit is available to buy soon.

nice read. i'm trying to think of a game that you would want to move your head around to actually control something, moving your head to look around is very natural and in euro truck and other games works great and you have your wheel and pedals as a controller, no need for the head movement controlling only head movement for viewing.

I guess possibly a first person shooter it would work but you would still need a controller also for weapon choice, jump, fire, nade etc

nice read. i'm trying to think of a game that you would want to move your head around to actually control something, moving your head to look around is very natural and in euro truck and other games works great and you have your wheel and pedals as a controller, no need for the head movement controlling only head movement for viewing.

I guess possibly a first person shooter it would work but you would still need a controller also for weapon choice, jump, fire, nade etc

That sounds like guaranteed nausea. I personally think one of the major issues with the oculus currently is too many movement inputs. I have seen videos where the view controls movement as well as a pad - theres no way youre not going to get constant conflicts there and inevitable motion sickness. Really looking forward to this but i think im going to need an omni virtuix for anything other than flying/driving!

Really exciting developments. Hurry up devkit2!

The Oculus Rift 'Crystal Cove' prototype is 2014's Best of CES winner

With its latest prototype, code-named "Crystal Cove," Oculus VR has taken a massive leap forward, eliminating the stomach-churning motion blur that has plagued previous generations of VR headsets, and adding sensors and a camera to track the position of both your head and body and provide more accurate simulated movement....The Crystal Cove version's 1080p OLED display is amazingly sharp and bright. However, what really sets it apart is its positional-tracking capabilities, accomplished thanks to an array of sensors mounted around the edges of the unit, which are monitored by an external camera.

You may want the Valve version!!! Information about the valve VR is really light at the moment but competition is going to really get these products moving, really hopeful we'll see something in 2014 now.

Valves VR even better than Oculus Rift

We know that Valve is planning for a virtual reality future courtesy of its Oculus Rift-friendly SteamVR mode, but it turns out the company is also developing its own VR headset – and according to some early users, it’s even better than Oculus Rift.

Via Twitter, developer David Hensley described Valve’s prototype headset as a “generational leap forward” over Oculus, saying his one-on-one demo felt “very much like a holo deck”. He said motion sickness wasn’t an issue, and there’s positional tracking – much like the mind-blowing prototype Crystal Cove version of Oculus Rift we tried at CES – which allowed him to crouch.

I am sure there are limitations. I think of VR as the next step forward in computing and more specific to my interests, in gaming. If you think of the technological leaps they all had to start somewhere - the first colour monitor, the first graphics card, the first multi core processor etc.

I would quite happily buy a first gen 1080p dev kit but I expect, in the years to come, I'll think of it in much the same way we now think of my ol' geforce 256.

Funny thing about people saying that crystal cove, being only 1080p split between two eyes.. do they not realise that 1080p is a vertical res, and not a horizontal res?

furthermore, most professionals that I've seen that have spent time with it, say that it is extremely good.. And I am sure that many of the nay-sayers, are people that have lower end hardware, that would struggle to run oculus anyway.

i had a go on the 2nd gen dev kit my friend has. While it was fun it is only potential at the moment. My pc is capable of running it but there was a lag between moving your head and it coming into focus. very small but enough. and it wasnt really playable, definitely still a tech demo at the moment.

i think it will be better in a few years time when the technology has matured. But as has been said, it has to start somewhere!

I remember downloading an MP3 at 6kb/s in 1999!!

Just remember, that dev kit your friend has, is only a DK1 and not a DK2, since they've not released DK2 at this time.. and probably won't for another few months.. it is well known that DK1 is little more than a tech demo, and nowhere near what they will have now that they have improved load persistence, positional tracking, improved optics, higher def OLED displays etc..

I know, I'm looking forward to trying the new model but I think the res needs to be a lot better than 1080p given that it takes up almost your complete field of view

I wonder what resolution Valves is?

I also wonder if these devices will double, triple and quadruple in resolution, but with the ability for them to upscale the image themselves well. So you can still send a 1080p signal to the unit (ie: keep a high frame rate), but get a good result in the goggles.

Last edited:
I wonder what resolution Valves is?

I also wonder if these devices will double, triple and quadruple in resolution, but with the ability for them to upscale the image themselves well. So you can still send a 1080p signal to the unit (ie: keep a high frame rate), but get a good result in the goggles.

It's the Crystal Cove version by the looks of things, so 1080p at the moment.

Hardware scaling on the DK1 is advised against, (set the scaling via GPU), although that's for downscaling.

The best bet will be either 1080p or QuadHD (there are some tablets at this res) for launch version at the moment.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/oculus-rift-crystal-cove-hands-on/

It's the Crystal Cove version by the looks of things, so 1080p at the moment.

Hardware scaling on the DK1 is advised against, (set the scaling via GPU), although that's for downscaling.

The best bet will be either 1080p or QuadHD (there are some tablets at this res) for launch version at the moment.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/oculus-rift-crystal-cove-hands-on/

Surely the problem of these units running at native resolution and not being at HD but QuadHD is that most consumers will not be able to run smoothly at that sort of resolution (eg: 60fps+)?

I guess maybe a generation or two will bring QuadHD resolution graphics down to main stream?

Back
Top Bottom