Oculus Rift

Soldato
Just one quick question about the Rift CV1 headset.. Does anyone know why the inner part of the left hand headstrap says "rift wireless Headset"?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/07/oculus-santa-cruz-headset-impressions/

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/mark-z...future-of-oculus-vr-hardware-computer-vision/

I suspect its either sneaky marketing for the Santa Cruz. The next vr wireless and no pc needed headset Oculus are working on atm. Or they simply just use the same straps. Or Oculus were working on similar wireless tech for the CV1 but couldnt get it ready in time for retail CV1. So of course it will go into their next headset.

Associate
Honest question, how does this compare to Gear VR, mainly FOV because I had a go on Gear VR and was not impressed at all, it just felt like I was looking into a little box with a screen at the end of it, massive black frame, I'm worried that maybe the 'illusion' of VR might not work on me, is the Rift a big step up in immersion and FOV?

Haven't tried the Gear VR, but the Rift for me is fully immersive (and friends family that have tried it).

There's a IPD switch which you can set from ~57mm-71mm, unless you are out of the norm you should be fine.

Don
FoV is about 100 degrees with the Rift. Gear VR is about 90 degrees.
Yes, it's nowhere near that of actual human sight but once you in a game and using the Touch controllers it stops being noticed.
Find somewhere that is demoing them and try it.

Associate
Yes superhot! Played through it yesterday after already completing it. Great game. I also had some moments in real life where I half expected to dodge a bullet. A little like beong on a boat too long and feeling like you're swaying later on land.

Soldato
Am I being weird?

Bought a Rift from John Lewis, it was a return and had £50 off. The box was a bit tatty but I thought it'd be worth the discount, however I'm now kicking myself that I didn't pay the extra (you get all of the same rights/warranty) and get a new one. Things like the Xbox one pad are quite tatty, which I didn't think would bother me - but it does!

Think I'm going to return it tomorrow and buy a new one...

Associate
I would want more than £50 off for it in that state!

Loving my rift more and more now I have the touch controllers, just bought an extra sensor so I can be a bit more accurate in Onward!

Soldato
Got to try my brother's Occulus Rift today and was pretty shocked by how good the whole 3D/immersion factor is. Was never a fan of 3d movies, screens, etc, but this actually felt very much 3D. The tracking was nearly flawless with little or no perceivable lag. The level of calibration that went into this most of have been immense. Didn't realise it would be this responsive.

Was playing a driving simulator (can't remember its name) but actually felt innertia/gforce when taking hard turns and braking, it was that realistic.

However, I found the image resolution too low. Think I will wait for the 2nd generation. Eitherway, it is definitely a proper VR solution, just needs better display tech and more GPU horsepower.

Soldato
Got to try my brother's Occulus Rift today and was pretty shocked by how good the whole 3D/immersion factor is. Was never a fan of 3d movies, screens, etc, but this actually felt very much 3D. The tracking was nearly flawless with little or no perceivable lag. The level of calibration that went into this most of have been immense. Didn't realise it would be this responsive.

Was playing a driving simulator (can't remember its name) but actually felt innertia/gforce when taking hard turns and braking, it was that realistic.

However, I found the image resolution too low. Think I will wait for the 2nd generation. Eitherway, it is definitely a proper VR solution, just needs better display tech and more GPU horsepower.

Every person I have demoed vr too has been blown away by how good it is, it really does transport you into a different world. I agree about the resolution though its just good enough at the moment.

Associate
Just setup the 3Rd sensor. Fingers crossed, but seems spot on. Full 360. No stutters, no loss of tracking yet. Seems my usbs have the bandwith :)
Setup as per oculus recommended. All sensor about 5'10 high.

Back
Top Bottom