Oculus Rift

Associate
Right, I can get a CV1 for £420, I have a DK2 and razer hydra at the moment.

Just needing to think is it worth the cost? My friend recommended PSVR but I dunno..

Could sell the DK2 somehow but that depends how much for.

If you're still after opinions, I have a Rift and a PSVR and I like them both for different reasons.

Rift - Pros:

Sharper image across the display than PSVR, and visibly better resolution (though not massively so).

SDE is still visible, but it is improved over the DK2. The way I describe its is that with the DK2, it felt like the SDE was between you and the virtual world. With the CV1, it's more like there's a texture on the objects in the world, rather than that there is something between you and the virtual world.

Attached headphones are very handy, and (to my ears) sound very good.

Can adjust the physical IPD (the spacing between the lenses to match that of your eyes).

Rift - Cons:

SDE is slightly more noticeable than PSVR, but PSVR has it's own issue (see below).

I have to wear my glasses with it - there's no swapping lenses like the DKs. Glasses can be a tight fit, and until I bought a different facial surround for it, was quite uncomfortable. Results seem to vary depending on frame size and shape of your head.

The field of view, to me, actually seems ever so slightly lower than the DK2 (which was lower than the DK1). Maybe it's because I have to wear glasses with it, and you can't adjust the distance to your eyes like you could with the DK1/2), but it feels lower.

PSVR - Pros:

Comfort. Good grief, the comfort. If you're mainly looking for a seated experience while playing, seriously consider PSVR. I've played 3 or 4 hour sessions with the PSVR, and aftwards felt like I could easily do the same again. With the Rift, after that amount of time, it's frankly very nice to take it off.

No issue at all wearing glasses with it. The way it supports the HMD means there's no pressure on the frames of your glasses, meaning much more in terms of comfort.

Despite the numbers of paper saying otherwise, the PSVR easily has a larger field of view imo. It reminds me of the FoV of the DK1.

Can adjust the distance from your eyes to the lenses (but not the physical IPD).

PSVR - Cons:

While the SDE isn't as apparent as the Rift, it has a very noticeable mura effect, which in some seems creates almost a slight patchy/fuzzy effect between you and the world. I generally don't notice it in bright scenes, but in some darker scenes, it's quite apparent to me. Like the SDE though, it's one of those things you tend to get used to.

Resolution isn't quite as good. A lower res stretched over a bit of a higher FoV, it's fairly easy to distinguish pixels, especially if there isn't some decent AA going off. Saying that, I notice the pixels in the PSVR the same way I notice the SDE with the Rift, so which is less bothersome is certainly subjective.

Tracking isn't as good. While I've not remotely had the issues that some people have suffered from, I'll generally hold the recenter button every 10 minutes or so, and I'll see my image recenter by effectively 3 - 6 inches. Leave it long enough, and my virtual position can easily drift off by a foot or more. I don't have any issue like that with the Rift.

Can't adjust the physical IPD (though you can alter software IPD).

So...

I like each of the headsets in their own ways. Which I use and what I play depends on my mood. The Rift is great if I want to stand/move about, or drag out my HOTAS for Elite, or my wheel for Project Cars/Assetto etc.

On the other hand, if I just want to chill, slouch back and play something in VR, PSVR is my go-to headset. Don't overlook that comfort factor (especially if you wear glasses).

<edit> Tried to clarify a few points.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the write up.

No glasses, not since school.

Another point for me, is the Razer Hydra/motion controls, which I use but not THAT often.

I'll give this some thought and not jump straight in like I normally do.

Don
Thanks for the write up.

No glasses, not since school.

Another point for me, is the Razer Hydra/motion controls, which I use but not THAT often.

I'll give this some thought and not jump straight in like I normally do.

The Rift and Vive motion controllers are in a completely different league when compared to the Hydra controllers. They are so much more precise and accurate.

Associate
i moved from the DK2 to a CV1 at xmas, found it a good step up in terms of clarity and comfort.

Sold my DK2 on the well known auction site for 190 and bough the rift when it had the 100 worth of store credit.

Was worth it in my opinion.

it's hard to say. i can't imagine Playstation dropping a new version until at least the PS5 is out. HTC vive the same i can't see being revised for a long time. the only reason for oculus to drop CV2 would be due to poor sales, however i think if they release cv2 out of sync of the others it'll only cause more issues for them. i think VR needs to be released similar to consoles. perhaps every 3/4 years with them all releasing very similar times.

Soldato
Fairly sure the answer is no;30493902 said:
it's hard to say. i can't imagine Playstation dropping a new version until at least the PS5 is out. HTC vive the same i can't see being revised for a long time. the only reason for oculus to drop CV2 would be due to poor sales, however i think if they release cv2 out of sync of the others it'll only cause more issues for them. i think VR needs to be released similar to consoles. perhaps every 3/4 years with them all releasing very similar times.

Yeh I get what you are saying. I would probs go with the Rift if anything as the Touch controllers look really good. That and I don't have space for room scale to be worth it. I just can't help but think when I pick one up we will only be a short time from a V2. This is all based on rumours though and maybe we don't see CV2 until 2020.

Associate
SupraWez;30498235 said:
Anyone else been playing the Landfall open beta?

played it for about an hour yesterday, reasonably enjoyable, though I found aiming with the xbox controller a bit hit and miss. Graphics are good it give a good view of what type of god / C&C type games we will see coming soon.

Will give it another go today, but not sure if i'd buy it, but I'm more a a Sim gamer than this sort of game rather than it being not good enough to buy

Soldato
Agreed the aiming does need some work, but quite enjoyable for a game you can just load up and have a quick game.

Graphics are nice, the god like heads looking over the play field are a nice touch :D

Soldato
Bought a rift tonight but things didn't go very well for me... Read about it here.

Wondering if anyone else had a major issue as such, where it literally messes up the PC... Now i've been building pc's since the early days, and my trade in IT Support, and this one just had me stumped. I'm currently in the middle of a restore. I don't even know if it was just pure bad coincidence ? probably not, but eitherway i'm not looking at anything VR tonight, nope instead i'm watching a percentage sign recovering to a basic OS :( Didn't even get as far as booting the computer with the sensors and headset plugged in.. Just BSOD on me on the FIRST boot, and from there sent me into a tail spin of confusion as to why nothing was working.

**edit so ok, i got it going and just wanna say i'm blown away !!! that robot demo thingy where you're shooting, pointing and firing rockets blew me away. I followed all the prompts after downloading the oculus software and plugged each item in as it prompted me too, and everything is working ! for now ! i best reboot and see what happens. anyway just wanna say blown away by the VR thing !

Last edited:
Associate
**edit so ok, i got it going and just wanna say i'm blown away !!! that robot demo thingy where you're shooting, pointing and firing rockets blew me away. I followed all the prompts after downloading the oculus software and plugged each item in as it prompted me too, and everything is working ! for now ! i best reboot and see what happens. anyway just wanna say blown away by the VR thing !

Glad you got it working ok and can now enjoy it. Make sure you get Dead and Buried, was free when I got Touch controllers? Eleven: Table Tennis is great fun too.
And if you want a horror experience, Affected is brilliant... https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BxGUMMFh0pYPaXBWMFZHdUM5dWc&export=download

Soldato
Glad you got it working ok and can now enjoy it. Make sure you get Dead and Buried, was free when I got Touch controllers? Eleven: Table Tennis is great fun too.
And if you want a horror experience, Affected is brilliant... https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BxGUMMFh0pYPaXBWMFZHdUM5dWc&export=download

I got something that puts you in a like space trailer and a robot hands you carts to try out. You get guns, rockets to fire off it was all pretty cool. Now i've got a few hrs of re-installing all my crap and getting my pc back to where it was before it went into some BSOD loop. The scary part is i don't even know what caused it. Well i do, but dont know why... all i did was plugged in the Rift hardware and turned on the computer.

Soldato
Download the LAB on steam, it's really good.

Rec Room is brilliant fun.

Yep was messing around with Lab this morning.. Blown away and can't believe it was free !!!! . What else is must have ? Also, has anyone else noticed their PC takes a lot longer to shutdown, with the rift attached ? I'm a little worried, given it really did bork my machine, when i first plugged it in... I'll spend some time this weekend, updating all the drivers and bios and what not, (is there a firmware update for the rift that i need to find also ?) But something has to of caused the BSOD and make it bad enough, that it didn't allow me to repair or recover, other than a complete re-install !!!! I've got hrs of work ahead of me, so would love to know what caused my BSOD... so i can avoid it ever happening again...

Back
Top Bottom