Oculus Rift

Soldato
Thinking of getting the Oculus....
Are there any worthwhile games to play? What are your favourites?
Does it get uncomfortable after a while?

Its an amazing experience. Quite possibly the most amazing experience, i've experienced in tech ! From being raised in the very early days, starting on an Atari 2600, its always been a gradual update, and you just expect better graphics with every new GPU or games console.. But this is different. You put that headset on and boom you're in a new world, somewhere, where you've never been before. There's so much free stuff going around, i've not really been able to get into a game per se, but have been wow'd ample times. Its' definitely the future !

Associate
Hi guys.

Well I've decided to dip into the realms of VR and have chosen the Rift due to the price and also my main use is for VR project cars, but my PC doesn't pass the Oculus performance test. The I7 920 @3400 comes up as too slow (shows stock @ 2.67 on the test).

Will I be able to run with my setup or have I got to upgrade the CPU first?

I understand My 970 is low end and fully expect to upgrade to a 1070 or even a 1080 in the near future but cant do it all in the same month (wife might find out).

PC spec is as follows

I7 920 @3.4
16gb of ram
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo
SSD

Not sure how many USB 3 plugs I have on that motherboard so might need an adaptor, any recommendations?

Cheers

Associate
Moorron, you're virtually same spec as me, my system got a 10.9 on the free SteamVR tool. Give yours a try on that, mine failed the Oculus site test too. Picking up my rift tomorrow fingers crossed, hope cpu doesn't ruin it for me.

Is this your Mobo?
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#ov

If it's the same as mine I think the yellow USB ports are USB 3.0, will find out if it works on Wednesday...

Last edited:
Associate
So me being silly thought you had to have both sensors at the front, this gave me a bad spot from behind when turning around to shoot. Turns out you can have one sensor at the front left and another in the back right corner, so I don't need to buy a 3rd sensor after all......

Associate
Picked up my rift last night, I've only really had chance to set it up and have a quick blast in Project Cars, absolutely love it already...so glad I got it, tonight is going to be big fun :)
I've downloaded all the free content as a starter, I don't have touch controllers or much floor space, so does anyone have some recommendations for games to play sitting down, or is it just racing/flight/space sims?

Associate
Cheers. Lucky's Tail seems to have automatically downloaded, will check out the rest tonight thanks. I'm not going to surface much outside of work for the next few days.

Associate
Hey born. Did it work ok with the i7? Ive ordered the recommended pcie usb card so all thats stopping me now is my cpu power. But if its ok im buying.
Ps i have that mobo you linked to except mine is the rev 1 version.

Associate
Hey born. Did it work ok with the i7? Ive ordered the recommended pcie usb card so all thats stopping me now is my cpu power. But if its ok im buying.
Ps i have that mobo you linked to except mine is the rev 1 version.

In could home it says pc is below specs but I had a quick blast on Project Cars and some of the demo stuff with no issues. I'm planning on a new build in Movember so sticking out until then. So glad I bought the rift, after just a brief blast I'm hugely impressed. Get it you won't regret it, I have a 980ti in mine. Will try and push it a bit tonight and post if any issues come up.

I'm only running rift no touch controllers, so headset is one USB sensor is another, I have enough onboard to use without the pci

Associate
Cheers Born, I have just received and installed my USB3 card as I was using the other 2 on the main board. I also caved in and ordered my rift with controllers today, fingers crossed I will get it for the weekend.

Im only on a 970 and will be mostly using it for car sims to compliment my G25 and bucked seat setup. Hope its ok or I will need a GPU upgrade soon.

Associate
project Cars is the best implementation, very quick and easy to setup. Im gutted that AC is **** in comparison, can't get it to work, the game keeps crashing. Will have to just keep playing in triples for that.

Associate
To be fair Boycey I've been having problems with AC glitching before getting the rift...on my triples the picture would randomly switch between screens and the game hanging started last week. Thinking about it I was trying to use the same car and track combo so it may be a specific car or track glitch. F40 at Monza, both are Kunos originals, i only normally have problems with mods.

Back
Top Bottom