Oculus Rift

Associate
Had my Rift for months and was bored after a few days. Since the touch controllers came out, it has me hooked again. I am glad I held back from selling. Loving the Rift again now :)

Associate
I have a new concern, I let my 9yo daughter try the Rift last night, Intro to VR, Invasion etc. a lot of the free animated stuff. She loved it, first question she asked when she took it off...does it work with the truck game? ETS2...my lovely daughter may end up a hairy arsed trucker...god help me! It seems it's her new favourite game, she plays it on my PC with triple screens every night after she's done her homework and before I get home.

Associate
Should be an improvement then, I find i can't see left and right properly pulling out of junctions using triple screens. Sometimes I just have to pull out blind and hope for the best.

Associate
After trying different things I have to say Project Cars is the best VR implementation I've come across outside of Oculus Store stuff so far.
Assetto Corsa, I've just given up trying to get it to work in VR, Dirt Rally I can't get to 50fps even turning everything down/off, ETS2/ATS is ok but not smooth at all and it feels like I'm driving having forgotten my glasses.

Associate
Its an amazing experience. Quite possibly the most amazing experience, i've experienced in tech ! From being raised in the very early days, starting on an Atari 2600, its always been a gradual update, and you just expect better graphics with every new GPU or games console.. But this is different. You put that headset on and boom you're in a new world, somewhere, where you've never been before. There's so much free stuff going around, i've not really been able to get into a game per se, but have been wow'd ample times. Its' definitely the future !

Thanks
I should have mentioned I have samsung gear vr. I agree, there are quite amazing moments that you don't get elsewhere gaming.

But I'm curious if there is enough content with substance on Oculus rift.

Free software on gear vr is cool but after 5-10min gets tedious as it's pretty basic. Not to mention the whole experience is draining.

Hmm by the looks of it, it's still a few generations to go for it to be proper deep fun as "normal" gaming is

Associate
It's been pretty obvious for some years that a lot of games have been variations on a theme or copy paste rehashes...VR will need some real creativity applied and that light bulb moment before it goes totally mainstream and the gameplay utilises the full capabilities. It needs that one game that brings everyone to VR. Let's hope someone out there has come up with the idea!

I wish I could, this time next year we could be millionaires...

Associate
Oculus Home update tonight, now headset thinks it's plugged into usb2 and sensor not powering up or recognised by my PC. Googling the symptoms and following the many links to Oculus support forums makes for very depressing reading and little optimism that I will get help from Oculus to resolve the issue. Anybody else had any issues like this, I've tried reinstalling Home software and plugging the sensor into usb2 sockets, swapping with the headset (only have 2 usb3 sockets). So far no success. Gfx drivers for my 980ti have also updated and caused me issues on start up so not having a happy time at the moment.

I'm stuck until the weekend due to a business trip oop north, but please let me know of any possible solutions.

Associate
I've ordered the Anatech usb3 controller. Oculus support forums make for some horrific reading...

Edit: thankfully the sensor powers up from the USB port on my wife's laptop so it's not faulty...hopefully the anatech card will sort it out...

Really bad timing as I've been raving about this to a mate since I had it and he's coming over Sunday to check it out...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my first major accident with VR. I have had a few moments where I have banged my controller off the walls or the light. And even a couple of occasions where I have went to lean on the table playing Eleven Table tennis and caught myself just in time.

But, yesterday, I tried Rise of the Jumbotron in Rec room. It's brilliant BTW. Anyway, I have never been so immersed in a game before. Everyone else was dead and I was trapped at side of one of the rooms. They had me pinned down and I didn't know what to do. When I looked to my left there was a sloping wall with a pillar in front of it. I thought to myself, I can lean on that and fire around the pillar, they won't get me!

haha, great idea, apart from the fact that there was no wall there in real life. So I fell like Del boy in that famous scene in Only fools and horses where he went to lean against the bar but the barmaid had opened the door. I crashed the side of my head against the corner of my subwoofer and had to go for stitches. :D

While I was falling, my brain was trying to figure out why I hadn't felt the wall yet. It was a really strange moment and I was confused as hell, not by the bang on the head but by the differing signals my body and eyes were sending to my brain.

10/10 will fall again! :p:D

Associate
I've submitted an oculus support ticket, I tried the sensor on my laptop again and it's not responding at all, it might be the sensor is faulty after all...weirdly, now using the mobo usb3 slot the headset recognises that it's usb3 again, but the anatech card says usb2...no response to the sensor in any slot.

I'd seen the oculus support forums and had a very bad opinion regarding raising a ticket, but I have to be honest, they've been very good and I've had 5 e-mails in 24 hours trying different things. It's just a shame they cant seem to find the issue. They've clearly upped their game somewhat from reading the threads from last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom