Oculus Rift

Soldato
I am ok with teleport and looking around but `free movement` makes me want to vomit within a few seconds
That said i recently got a `film` called `the big c` and while this is free motion it is slow and am able to keep watching,might be useful to help build up my immunity :)

Associate
I am ok with teleport and looking around but `free movement` makes me want to vomit within a few seconds
That said i recently got a `film` called `the big c` and while this is free motion it is slow and am able to keep watching,might be useful to help build up my immunity :)
It takes some people more time than others, I was the same as you, whilst my mate who bought the Rift the same time as me was ok with free movement instantly. It took me a few weeks but then i was completely fine, now I can play VR shooters for hours on end.

VR sickness CAN be overcome, stick with it. It actually gets on my nerves when I read posts on Reddit complaining about it and wanting teleport in everything, take the time to get used to it and VR opens up.

A few things that helped me was: •playing Bullets and More (free demo) and SLOWLY going through the tutorial, climbing the ladder was really hard on my stomach at first.
•playing AirCar, really struggled at first, but after a few days I was able to stomach it
•taking my time, there’s no rush, play as much as you can handle, if you start to feel ill take off the headset, get some air, have a drink then get back into when you feel up to it.
•eventually you will build up more and more of a resistance.
•a good friend swears by seabands, these are basically wrist bands that apply pressure on point on your wrist. He used them religiously for months.
•motion sickness tablets, it may seem extreame but it’s I did a couple of times and it did help enourmasly for a decent gaming session.
One of thing that probably helped me the most was having a friend that I wanted to play with regularly, whilst I was struggling at first we was playing Pavlov, BAM and Onward with smooth locomotion having a great time, while I was still struggling to overcome the sickness, I was determined to get over it, and I did.

Hope this helps, smooth locomotion is 1000% better than telportation.

Good luck and stick with it

Soldato
My point in all this is not that the Rift is crap. Its great for what it is but its not worth the money and will never appeal to majority of people who play games. Oculus know this and know that it will be a while before the technology is good enough and cheap enough for VR to be what we all imagined it would be. To me the rift feels very much like a beta product that has been released to public to early just so they can make some money. But i have high hopes for the future as Elite Dangerous has really shown me the potential of what VR could be.

hmmm, it sounds to me like you have just read things about VR and are now on some weird agenda to prove that people are wrong to like it. It's like you know nothing about it. For example, You say you did a lot of research to get the best out of Skyrim, then didn't turn off one of the most recommended options to reduce nausea while playing it. You say it's only for cockpit games, but, the most played games are aren't cockpit games at all.

And if you did genuinely have a headset and are basing the whole VR experience on Skyrim and Elite Dangerous, then you have seriously missed out. Skyrim VR is basically a money grabbing exercise by Bethesda with their half baked attempt at VR. If you did your research as you said, you would have found out that in a minute, you need mods to make it look it's best. You wouldn't need a VR headset to know that you would need mods to make a Bethesda game good.

And your comment about waving your hands in the air like an idiot? Unless we get a holodeck like experience then you will always be waving your hands in the air like an idiot no matter how good the visuals get or how cheap it gets.

Soldato
:)
Thanks for the suggestions
Got seabands-not 100% convinced they do any good in my case
Am definitely better than i first was just over a year ago

The best suggestion is, the second you feel any kind of nausea, stop what you are doing and take off the headset and go do something else. People try to push through it, or else try to stick it out for a few minutes and then rest, then the next time, try to stick it out a little longer. But that doesn't work. The moment you feel sick, STOP!

Eventually you will find that you are spending longer wearing the headset without feeling any kind of illness. For most people after a couple of weeks they are fine, some people take a little longer.

Soldato
Here is a quick fitting guide.

Loosen all the straps on the Rift completely.
Put headset on, Make sure the base of the triangle of straps at the back of the headset is nearly touching your neck.
Hold the Face plate so the top of it is just above the eyebrows.
Tighten the Top strap as far as you can so that it's taking the weight of the headset but not moving it upwards on your head.
Now tilt the faceplate(visor) to suit yourself.
Then tighten the side straps, again, not too tight, just firmly enough to hold the headset in place.

The mistake most people make is having the back strap of the headset way too high. It should be as low as possible on the back of your head. This has two advantages, it's more comfortable and the sweet spot is larger when wearing correctly.

thanks for the fitting guide, I finally got round to doing it.

I was definitely putting it on wrong.

Just about to fire it up and play some games.

Soldato
Rift has worked a lot better today now it's fitted properly.

Now I could do with a game to play, any suggestions?

Superhot VR would be my personal favorite VR starter game.
It shows off the superior tracking off the Rift/Vive compared to PSVR really well too (aka going to the floor, picking stuff up, aiming and throwing and grabbing).

Robo-Recall blows me away. I'm purposely playing the game through very slowly.

Beat Saber is just really addictive and fun.

Soldato

What games do you have? Buy Payday 2 VR and Star Trek Bridge crew and join the Ocuk VR chat group.

Rec Room for free is very good, so is Robo recall.

Associate

SuperHot VR
Lone Echo
War Dust
Onward
Pavlov
Moss
Rec Room
Elite Dangerous
Dirt Rally
Beat Sabre

That’s just off the top my head, VR games are coming thick and fast right now, it’s a great time to be plugged in!
There’s a newly created OCUK VR group on Steam, I don’t have the two games mentioned but that would be great way to play with fellow VR enthusiasts

Associate
hmmm, it sounds to me like you have just read things about VR and are now on some weird agenda to prove that people are wrong to like it. It's like you know nothing about it. For example, You say you did a lot of research to get the best out of Skyrim, then didn't turn off one of the most recommended options to reduce nausea while playing it. You say it's only for cockpit games, but, the most played games are aren't cockpit games at all.

And if you did genuinely have a headset and are basing the whole VR experience on Skyrim and Elite Dangerous, then you have seriously missed out. Skyrim VR is basically a money grabbing exercise by Bethesda with their half baked attempt at VR. If you did your research as you said, you would have found out that in a minute, you need mods to make it look it's best. You wouldn't need a VR headset to know that you would need mods to make a Bethesda game good.

And your comment about waving your hands in the air like an idiot? Unless we get a holodeck like experience then you will always be waving your hands in the air like an idiot no matter how good the visuals get or how cheap it gets.

I can post picture of my setup if you like? Of course i have a head set. Stop trolling! My only agenda is to let people know what I think which is its not all that its cracked up to be and that you would be daft to spend 2k on a pc and headset just to play a rift or any gen 1 vr headset. That is all i am saying.

Soldato
I can post picture of my setup if you like? Of course i have a head set. Stop trolling! My only agenda is to let people know what I think which is its not all that its cracked up to be and that you would be daft to spend 2k on a pc and headset just to play a rift or any gen 1 vr headset. That is all i am saying.

LOL I am not the one trolling. Your opinions, which you are stating as facts, are in the minority. If you go on any of the VR forums you will see that majority of people love their headsets. Played Payday 2 and Star Trek Bridge crew last night with 4 other OCuk members and you know what? Not once did I hear anybody complain about the resolution. We were much too busy enjoying the games, shooting, stealing and trying to ram the Enterprise into a Borg cube. I have owned the Rift since launch, it's been the best money that I ever spent on my PC.

If you know to setup games correctly, why didn't you turn off dynamic resolution in Skyrim VR? If you couldn't even do that simple step after doing lots of research, how can we believe that you have your headset setup any way correctly? You say VR is only for cockpit games, when it plainly isn't. The best looking, best playing and most popular games aren't cockpit games.

Once more getting back to your "waving your hands in the air like an idiot" comment. VR is Virtual reality, it's not really there, no matter how good the visuals get, you are still putting a headset on, you will still have to wave your hands to swing a sword, make a spell, reach for item on the ground etc. Maybe they might have gloves that make it feel like you are holding something in future, but, from the outside, you are still going to be waving your hands around like an idiot.

Why would you buy a headset? You say you tried it in your friends house and didn't like it. What were you thinking was going to happen when you bought your own?

Soldato
Your not alone either. VR is not the future or what its cracked up to be. I see it like a niche product for niche games. Very few games benefit from VR and many just do not work or are worse in VR. Many that do work are not what I would call real games as they have no real depth to them. Though there are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom