Oculus Rift

I preordered as well, is there somewhere I can see expected delivery date or is this just what they have said?

Just said August when I pre-ordered last month. Am expecting it to be delayed, but still can't wait.

The problem with VR is that you need to move around your environment which makes it reliant on keyboards etc and not actually walking.

But with racing sims, well you sit down and the car moves. Perfect for VR and really really excited about trying this out.

Unlike most other DK2 buyers who will try it for a few weeks and then put it in the cupboard or ebay, I will be using mine everytime I race assuming I don't chuck up all the time :)

Nothing to worry about with FB buying it, many arguments in this thread and don't expect FB integration into the OR as that would just be stupid.

FB IMHO are trying to diversify and broaden thier horizons with the next big technology and VR is definately up there with the new emerging technologies and they want a slice of the pie before Google and MS

Eventually they may offer social media on the OR in many years time when enough people have it, but it will not be core to OR imho as it makes no business sense. This is a money venture with the opportunity for FB to diversify outside thier normal and limited market.

DK2 is better than the HD Prototype, it has positional tracking (like the "Crystal Cove" prototype they showcased slightly later) amongst other improvements.

Cheers mate. Was going to wait for the consumer version but don't think i could handle another 12+ months of user impressions and videos lol. Plsu there are quite a few games coming out soon and that are already out that I want to play in VR like outlast, hawken, elite etc

RiftUp! (that's how it's titled) is an option for 1080p if DK2 is delayed a little pricey for a screen upgrade tho

Tried it this morning, the most spectacular VR experience so far, I jumped out of my skin when the big guys face was glaring at me, truly next gen stuff

Thinking I might pre-order one of these afterall. Haven't got the patience to wait for the consumer version. What kinda price are we expecting to pay in total? Obviously $350 comes out at just over 200 quid, but are we gonna get VAT and customs charges etc slapped on top?

Thinking I might pre-order one of these afterall. Haven't got the patience to wait for the consumer version. What kinda price are we expecting to pay in total? Obviously $350 comes out at just over 200 quid, but are we gonna get VAT and customs charges etc slapped on top?

Yeah, it's about £275 all in, depends on currency exchange at time of order.

A fairly amusing video - I can't wait for things like this to become more main stream :D
<snip>

Clever stuff - one of the best addons to the Rift experience I've seen so far. I did look at the $600 kickstarter button and think "maybe" - the fact it can handle mocap is quite a big plus for indie devs :)

Really hope the DK2 does start shipping in July... they've had such a busy year I hope they stay on track.

Tried it this morning, the most spectacular VR experience so far, I jumped out of my skin when the big guys face was glaring at me, truly next gen stuff

How? Thought it isn't released until July, shipping August

Do any retail stores have one to demo?

edit - This combined with something like Amnesia Dark Decent and I think I would have a heart attack

Last edited:
At E3 they were demoing Alien Isolation on the rift. I would have probably pooed myself if I had a go.

Just had a look at the reporter playing the first few seconds. Want a go

Games like this will be great with it and fun to play. Something like Amnesia or F.E.A.R with the little girl would be terrifying

The first wave of DK2 are due to get shipped sometime in July, with the rest of the preorders shipped in August.

DK1 had 1280x720 but the screen was a last minute shoe in so a lot was unused, the DK2 has a 1920x1080 screen that is a better fit for the lenses. The perceived resolution should be 1.5 to 2 times better.

DK1 had pixels organised in an orderly horizontal / vertical grid - which may have made screendoor more obvious. DK2 has a pixel layout that looks a bit more like the old hexagon strategy games, screendoor is there but less noticeable (resolution bump helps here too).

DK1 refreshed at 60hz, DK2 at 75hz. That should help a bit, Abrash reckons 90hz is where i starts coming good.

DK1 used regular LCD displays with quite a lot of lag, DK2 uses an AMOLED with much faster switching time. The smearing should be gone with DK2 when you move our head.

DK2 has a slightly higher FOV due to the optics matching the screen better, it should have 110 degrees.

Finally, DK2 has a bunch of infrared LED's embedded behind translucent plastic and a camera to watch you. This changes the 3DOF tracking (that drifted a lot) to 6DOF that shouldn't drift. (You can now move forwards/backwards, left/right, up/down instead of just looking in a certain direction).

It's going to be much better than the DK1, but still not quite there.

When the consumer rift arrives, i'd expect a bump to 1440p, 90Hz and maybe a FOV bump to 120 degrees. Those 3 things should be enough to trick your brain that you are there.

Driving a 1440p screen at 90hz+ is going to need Thunderbolt 2 adapters. The graphics card guys are going to have to work hard on latency and fillrate. A lot of GPU these days is used on shader effects like DoF that are pointless or worse in VR so there sould be the power to do it. SLI / Xfire needs to get better, small framerate stutters are tolerable in gaming. They will make you physically sick in VR.

Screendoor: If you aren't sure what this is, take a smartphone and put a single drop of water on the screen. You should now be able to see each pixel individually, and the gap between them. The optics on a Rift do that across your entire field of view.

Back
Top Bottom