Oculus Rift

So shipping will be by 14th July for the first 5k ordered if I read this post correctly?

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10044

The sales opened up on 19th March @ 08:00 PDT, so according to the order page I ordered mine within 19 hours of them going on sale.

Date: Mar 20, 2014 02:54 AM PDT

Status:PENDING:Your order is pending. Please see the reason(s) below.

Error(s):
Your order is awaiting inventory before it can be fulfilled. We will notify you when it's about to be shipped.

Its gonna be cutting it close but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm in the first batch! :eek:

Sorry to be a downer, but it says the same for me and I ordered mine last week.

I ordered mine on the 22nd of March...so I'll be August.

Status:PENDING:Your order is pending. Please see the reason(s) below.

Error(s):
Your order is awaiting inventory before it can be fulfilled. We will notify you when it's about to be shipped.[/I]

Its gonna be cutting it close but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm in the first batch! :eek:

They haven't reached the distribution centres yet :p so people won't be seeing any dates until the distro's have them to give delivery dates out.

The only potential on delivery is how they 'split' the first 10k units. If of the 12,500 first orders, 11,0000 are in the US, and they send half of that shipment to Europe, then they'll get further down the Euro queue than the US queue.

There is an unofficial "Order Tracker" here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/20vbds/dk2_order_tracker/

Not many in the UK so far...and there's a distro centre in the UK, so I'm holding out hope :p (although the UK centre ships out to most of Europe in reality)

So tempted to buy the DK2. I'll have a bit of money coming soon. How much better is it than the DK1? is it worth waiting for consumer or will the DK2 be good enough? I only game in 1080p 60fps+

So tempted to buy the DK2. I'll have a bit of money coming soon. How much better is it than the DK1? is it worth waiting for consumer or will the DK2 be good enough? I only game in 1080p 60fps+

Well apparently you can still quite clearly see the pixels even with DK2 so if you're really fussy about picture quality you should probably hold off.

To be honest I'm not sure the resolution problem is gonna be solved in the consumer version either. I think it'll need a 4K screen to resolve that completely. Especially if this comparison is anything to go by:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

So shipping will be by 14th July for the first 5k ordered if I read this post correctly?

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10044

Reddit list here with times and dates. 10.20 puts me around the 400 mark, obviously not everyone on the list but hopeful of being in the first batch.

Currently the tracker seems to be stuck at 1702 entries, my order time was 2:00pm PDT so based on that im @ 568/1702 or approximately 1/3 the way into the orders, if that was out of the 45k total then my order might be about 15k into the list, ofc thats not correct because its more likely to be the keeno's that have actually found and filled out the tracker in the first place, based on that im probably good

looking at timings the orders started at 8am looking at the tracker and at the end of the first day (assuming midnight PDT) then I ordered 37.5% through the day

if orders flowed in at a consistent pace that would mean my order was ~4500/12500 in the actual queue for the first day orders, even assuming there was a burst of orders right after the announcement which might have put me further back factoring in people who's payments might not go through on first attempt I might still still be good to get one of that first batch of 5000

All in all, glad I didnt spend too long pondering whether to buy one or not :D

Last edited:
My order was about 5 hours after the DK2 email announcement. I would've ordered sooner but I was busy at work and didn't notice it!

It's a fair bit of money for what is still very early tech, but for 20 years since I first played 3D games on the Atari ST I've dreamed of having the ability to step into a virtual world.

I'm intrigued to see the differences from DK1 to DK2. However, I think a higher resolution (4K+) is a good aim for VR, and we're probably a few years away from that.

What are the actual requirements for the second development kit? Is the system in my signature sufficient?

What are the actual requirements for the second development kit? Is the system in my signature sufficient?

Yes, you'll have no problems.

Requirements vary but if you can run games at 1920x1080 at max settings easily on most titles, you'll be fine.

My monitor is 1440p native, with these goggles i presume it doesnt use anything from your monitor and DK1 / DK2 / ... has their own resolution & screen built into the goggles?

So as long as you machine can cope with 1080p @ 60fps then it will be fine.

What would happen if you dont get 60fps?

My monitor is 1440p native, with these goggles i presume it doesnt use anything from your monitor and DK1 / DK2 / ... has their own resolution & screen built into the goggles?

So as long as you machine can cope with 1080p @ 60fps then it will be fine.

What would happen if you dont get 60fps?
You get sick

Really though you would want to lower settings to maintain 60fps with them on.

Yes the dk2 has its own res and screen, just appears like a monitor on pc so you can mirror your current monitor.

Cool. I generally game at 1440p and average 60fps in Crysis 3 all high settings (no AA)

Does it support SLI / Crossfire? (I have got 2 x GTX670)

I hope they consider adaptive v-sync in the final retail product, we wouldn't have to worry about maintaining framerates then.

Adaptive v-sync runs through the nvidia experience app anyway, so it is independent of occults rift drivers, or even the game.

Back
Top Bottom