Oculus Rift

I have a horrible feeling that I won't be able to used VR headsets. I struggle with motion sickness simply from FPS.

Guess I'll have to persevere and take sea sickness tablets too as I hear that these induce motion sickness to people anyway, let alone someone who gets it from FPS :(

Any good reads/links about the potential that VR holds for the future? With good feedback could we really have matrix-like VR in say 10 yrs or so?

Same problem here mate, I suffer from motion sickness and take betahistine when travelling.

I used DK1 at eurogamer and had to take it off about 30 seconds into the demo, I ordered a DK2 early June hoping that the new improvement s with low persistence etc all help to reduce the motion sickness.

I have a horrible feeling that I won't be able to used VR headsets. I struggle with motion sickness simply from FPS.

Guess I'll have to persevere and take sea sickness tablets too as I hear that these induce motion sickness to people anyway, let alone someone who gets it from FPS :(

Any good reads/links about the potential that VR holds for the future? With good feedback could we really have matrix-like VR in say 10 yrs or so?

I thought the same before I got the DK1. Was really bad when I first got it, could play for about 5-15 mins (depending on the game) before I had to either stop for an hour or throw up. Within a couple of weeks I could play for a few hours pretty comfortably.

That was DK1, I think DK2 will alleviate this issue considerably, and consumer model even more so.

Same problem here mate, I suffer from motion sickness and take betahistine when travelling.

I used DK1 at eurogamer and had to take it off about 30 seconds into the demo, I ordered a DK2 early June hoping that the new improvement s with low persistence etc all help to reduce the motion sickness.

Let me know how it goes. I really hope it doesn't trigger it because VR looks like it is going to be amazing.

I thought the same before I got the DK1. Was really bad when I first got it, could play for about 5-15 mins (depending on the game) before I had to either stop for an hour or throw up. Within a couple of weeks I could play for a few hours pretty comfortably.

That was DK1, I think DK2 will alleviate this issue considerably, and consumer model even more so.

But do you get it from normal FPS too? I can't play COD, for example. Even Assassin's Creed triggers it after a while and I most definitely can't watch someone else playing it.

But do you get it from normal FPS too? I can't play COD, for example. Even Assassin's Creed triggers it after a while and I most definitely can't watch someone else playing it.

I don't get it to that extent, but if I were you I'd still be pretty optimistic that you can get used to it. It'll probably take you longer than most but you could still do it.

There's a massive thread on the official forums about the motion sickness problem, a lot of people discussing stuff that worked for them. From what I've read of it, with 99% of people, it gets better the more they use it. It's just managing the symptoms early so you can do it for more than 30s. Once you can do that it's just a matter of time before you adjust to using it for longer.

for motion sickness i use travel bands, might be placebo effect but it works so i don't care :D

I am so tempted to get the dk2 as i think this will be outstanding on seated games ie flight and driving sims :)

I don't get it to that extent, but if I were you I'd still be pretty optimistic that you can get used to it. It'll probably take you longer than most but you could still do it.

There's a massive thread on the official forums about the motion sickness problem, a lot of people discussing stuff that worked for them. From what I've read of it, with 99% of people, it gets better the more they use it. It's just managing the symptoms early so you can do it for more than 30s. Once you can do that it's just a matter of time before you adjust to using it for longer.

Only managed to find a two page thread about it but someone mentions booze negating the motion (well, simulation if we're being precise) sickness. It's funny they should mention that because I once played Timesplitters 2 around a friends after a few bevvies and I must admit, I was able to play (on split-screen mode) - might be worth investigating further :)

for motion sickness i use travel bands, might be placebo effect but it works so i don't care :D

Not heard of those. Will research.

Hoping to receive my DK2 in the first batch as I got in there pretty early but not sure if I was early enough.. Rumours that the first batch are to be sent out tomorrow, hopefully that's for the UK also.

I've read that the Dev kit for DK2 is different from DK1 and all demos will need to be rebuilt for DK2, anyone know any more on that? I was hoping to try out a load of the demos on the Oculus Forums.

Not heard of those. Will research.

from what I remember as a kid travel sickness bands were just a bracelet with a half sphere bump on the inside that presses on your wrists? :p I've never been travel sick so only put them on to try them on haha xD

two marbles and some tape could do the trick... haha!

Interested to hear experiences from DK2 users. I'm going to resist this time and wait for the full release!

DK1 does make me feel a bit ropey after a while. Main problem though is the resolution/screen door

Last edited:
I'll do a proper comparison of DK1 of DK2 here. I'm highly aware of the screen door and low res on DK1, to the extent that I gave up using it. I'm pretty sure DK2 won't fare much better, but it's newer kit and at least the positional tracking is another step in the right direction.

I think the best bet for those casually interested is to wait for 4K versions of VR kit. By that point hopefully the rest of our PC tech will cope with the gaming demands too. In particular, I'm focussed on newer graphics cards and connectivity standards for handling AdaptiveSync or GSync etc. (HDMI 2.0 or DP, I don't really care so long as it's universally adopted).

Yup, got confirmation for both my orders - both placed within 30 minutes of pre-orders opening.

Awh yeah son!

Well i thought for sure i would be in the first batch, but apparently not!

Date: Mar 19, 2014 10:20 AM PDT

Thought that was quite early.

Ah well, theres some chatter about regional allocations on the forums so maybe there was only a couple hundred allocated to the UK. Seems some guy from Malaysia ordered 12.30 and got his email.

Back
Top Bottom