Oculus Rift

Out with the old, in with the new!

I0bbFfJ.jpg

They were ordered at around 08:20 / 08:30. I fudged the HTML as the page wasn't working in the first 30 minutes or so and managed to make the orders.

Only one has arrived. Other still appears to be waiting to be picked up via UPS. But since it's next day delivery from when they receive it hopefully we'll be full steam ahead early next week.

argh test it, let us know impressions. I have never had a DK1 or used one so im going to come at it from the standpoint of a VR virgin, next week at this rate.

The resolution is definitely an improvement over DK1, however in my opinion it's still not high enough. It certainly makes games more playable now, but I still notice the screen-door effect personally.

This makes for an interesting problem, because in order to eliminate that effect you'd probably need a 4K screen... but hardware isn't really powerful enough to render a game at that resolution at the required framerate for VR yet.

The resolution is definitely an improvement over DK1, however in my opinion it's still not high enough. It certainly makes games more playable now, but I still notice the screen-door effect personally.

This makes for an interesting problem, because in order to eliminate that effect you'd probably need a 4K screen... but hardware isn't really powerful enough to render a game at that resolution at the required framerate for VR yet.

I'll need to get some actual games working but I was just away to post how much I didn't notice the screen door effect...

I found the immersion so distracting I just didn't notice it.

I'm sure if you got something with loads of detail that required you to fire off into the distance at 1px targets you'd soon notice it but for content that's going to be made for VR things can only get better.

First impressions are pretty fantastic :)

Don't get me wrong, it's a huge improvement :) But I still noticed it in the Unreal Engine 4 demos, I haven't tried others.

Also this was with the HD Prototype Oculus, we don't have an actual DK2. The resolution is the same, but I think the DK2 has an improved screen so maybe that's why :D

One thing that definitely improves immersion is using a DK1 on the back of your head.

Now in games you get that feeling, similar to real life, when someone sneaks up behind that you can feel there eyes looking at you.

No more lame knife deaths!

qJxJNg6.jpg

wow awesome :D

One thing that definitely improves immersion is using a DK1 on the back of your head.

Now in games you get that feeling, similar to real life, when someone sneaks up behind that you can feel there eyes looking at you.

No more lame knife deaths!

qJxJNg6.jpg

Read an article earlier regarding 3D documentaries and it also mentioned that VR documentaries are in the pipeline.

That would be epic :-0 imagine going to a cinema-style VR setup where they could have feedback in the chair and wind/cold/heat effects!

I'm really excited for this now :)

I've been so tempted to get a DK2 but my reasoning not to is I'd rather have the finished product be my first experience for maximum effect and also to leave DK units for developers, all I'd do is play games with it so a waste of a unit that a dev could be using.

Mine has arrived. Just waiting till I get home to try the baby out.

Is there a forum or place where I can find instructions on how to set everything up (SDK, games, demos etc) ?

Back
Top Bottom