Oculus Rift

I put £30 towards E:D via its kickstarter campaign but looks like if i want beta access I need to splash out another £50, not gonna happen. If it was £15 extra I'd have done it right away.

I put £30 towards E:D via its kickstarter campaign but looks like if i want beta access I need to splash out another £50, not gonna happen. If it was £15 extra I'd have done it right away.

You know you could have just bought access to the beta on Steam for £50 in total and not needed to contribute to the kickstarter?

I'm not having much luck with the DK2 so far. The test scene in the config utility works fine, as does the tuscany demo in the SDK but nothing else seems to work.
If I try any of the demos that people are generally saying work with DK2, e.g. Helix coaster, DCS, etc I see stuff load up on the monitor but the headset just stays black. I've tried direct mode and extended mode, doesn't seem to make much difference.

There's a few things I need to try out from reading around: test with DVI adapter rather than HDMI, append "-adapter 1" to unity demos and look into this directtorift.exe that people are talking about.

Last edited:
I'm not having much luck with the DK2 so far. The test scene in the config utility works fine, as does the tuscany demo in the SDK but nothing else seems to work.
If I try any of the demos that people are generally saying work with DK2, e.g. Helix coaster, DCS, etc I see stuff load up on the monitor but the headset just stays black. I've tried direct mode and extended mode, doesn't seem to make much difference.

There's a few things I need to try out from reading around: test with DVI adapter rather than HDMI, append "-adapter 1" to unity demos and look into this directtorift.exe that people are talking about.

Yeah it really is a development kit! Oculus seems to be busy on getting the stuff out there, but I am sure some work with a new runtime would solve a lot of these problems. Theyre very common judging by the forums.

My personal problem list - the device isnt detected some start ups. Ive managed to solve the problem occasionally by restarting the service and running it in admin mode, or reinstalling the config utility, then restarting. But some restarts it still doesnt get detected. I suspect this is a USB issue. Make sure youre testing it with something shown to run in direct to rift mode (its one of the exes that come with the package, the other being the unity extended desktop) - the millenium falcon demo is a safe bet.

My personal issues - after rotating the display in extended, i cant see the middle third of the desktop! Got some things to try.

Also does you know where to get a list of the function keys and what they do? Everyone talks about f9 being persistence etc but i cant find any mention of them in the manuals.

The Radial-G kickstarter is ending soon - well worth backing if you want a Wipeout/F-Zero style racer (looking iffy for them hitting their target though), and there's a demo available. It does work with the DK2, though you have to use extended display mode, and tick the VR option on the front end menu.

Looks really nice on the DK2 though :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tammekagames/radial-g-a-high-octane-sci-fi-racer-for-the-vr-gen

Thanks. Starting a collection of Oculus games and so far have CyberSpace and now this too

Any others we should get which are good?

FINALLY got my DK2 to start behaving properly as an extended monitor, basically involves me setting up on my screen then switching on the DK2 to have it take over as primary monitor and load up from there.

The 'missing middle section' issue was embarassing as that's how it's meant to be lol. The fiddling around getting extended mode to work is something i'm sure they can work on (especially the need to kill services to get the camera to function) plus im not 100% happy with how Elite is rendering at the moment... but otherwise wow. It really is a whole new world.

Mine's shelved until they get it all working a bit smoother. Even demos that have supposedly been updated to the latest SDK don't seem to support direct to rift and require much faffing with extending desktop.

and require much faffing with extending desktop.

faffing is why I bought a PC and the reason I work in IT in general.

Sorry, but If you didn't want to faff with settings then you probably should have just waited for the consumer version, or for VR on a console, instead of buying a developers kit

No harm in that, i'm sure it will be when they release a new runtime. In the meantime i hear theres a new Vorpx coming out soon with DK2 support. Should be mental for existing games but it wil use the extended desktop rather than the direct to hmd.

Here's hoping all the software and middleware like VorpX/Tridef etc. start to adopt the Direct-to-Rift route. It makes a lot of sense and takes a lot of the setup hassle out if the equation.

Having said that, native support is needed in newer games. It's good to see Frontier & Elite taking it seriously.

Whats extended desktop instead of direct to rift?

Do you have to set some extended desktop mode first or something? (like extend primary display into rift?)

im fuzzy on the system requirements to run OR Elite Dangerous at above say 45 fps consistently.

Firstly because isnt there 2 ways you can set it up,,ie extended display (ergo your gpu is doing 2 displays...your monitor and the OR) or direct to OR as the sole display (and therefore less gpu gruntforce required)

In saying that what would you recommend (those of you already running Elite with the Occulus Rift DK2 version)

i have a i5-4690k, 8 gig, SSD drive but only a R9 280x. Perhaps will need to upgrade to at least a 290x ? My other option is to run 2 280x in crossfire mode but then does crossfire mode even work for Elite or the OR?

edit (yeah i know about the image problem...it is fixed on the 6th...i overspent my bandwith this month)

Back
Top Bottom