Oculus Rift

DK2 made me sick as a parrot for some reason, more so than DK1... guess its time to upgrade my pc as I think the main problem was low frame rates. Cant imagine the pc spec you will need to run the consumer version comfortably.

Depends what you wanna do, some of the demos are just not optimised at all,, Will be playing some games tomorrow with it see if that helps with proper games and optimised textures etc.

I'm assuming the normal user can check this by running these demos without an Occulus to check the framerates? Anything above a constant 70fps and you're good to go?

My thoughts after several hours of non-contigious use...

Although LFS obviously is great performance wise it was the first game that the resolution of the DK2 disappointed me. For a game that relies on time sensitive input and seeing into the distance it was frustrating for the next corner / clutch of cars to be as blocky as they are. Haven't got AC or pCARS working yet, but guess I'll be as disappointed with the loss of detail- even coming from a 1680*1050 display.

The Tuscany demo judders horribly, Senza Peso less so, I haven't figured out where the problem is with that!

Titans / Sightline demos etc. are great, mainly due to the lack of quick movement.

Got instant unpleasant nausea from the ISS Spacewalk demo. Was all going so well until I clipped the station and couldn't recover from the spin. Had to call it a day and could still feel the sickness half way through the following day.

I can't see how I'll enjoy playing fast paced FPS games with any VR kit in the forceable future. Played HL2 for 20mins and the sensation of moving around with the keys and looking with the DK2 compromised the benefits of the 3D immersion for me.

I hope I just need to give it some time and get used to the experience. It's still very cool.

Played HL2 for 20mins and the sensation of moving around with the keys and looking with the DK2 compromised the benefits of the 3D immersion for me.

Do you mean you got bad nausea? ie your brain couldnt get to grips with "you" moving using keyboard? Apart from that how is the 3d immersion? Does it look like you are IN the game?

Do you mean you got bad nausea? ie your brain couldnt get to grips with "you" moving using keyboard? Apart from that how is the 3d immersion? Does it look like you are IN the game?

I wouldn't say it was nausea, certainly not like spinning out of control in the Spacewalk demo. But it's like with some of the games and demos you can turn the view with both your head or a controller. If you do both at once it interferes with the sensation of turning. Hard to describe.

And for now until I get better at playing with the Rift it's like playing with a handicap. I felt that I wanted the walk speed to be slower in HL2, and I had to adjust my play style to be more sedate. Perhaps because I've played the game a few times I was trying to progress too quickly and playing too manically.

Perhaps with a new Rift game I'd spend more time marvelling at the 3Dness rather than being annoyed at how bad my aim and combat is in HL2 :)

As for being in the game, it's giving us a taste of it.

I don't suffer too badly with "VR Sickness" - it's fairly mild, and usually only after a long-ish session, 45-60 mins for example.

But what I do find is, that I find the effect of it feels worse than travel sickness, and it seems to last a lot longer. Travel sickness seems to clear up after about 30mins, I can feel the effects of VR sickness for a few hours.

Very strange.

MineCrift is probably the easiest on the sickness front. I don't suffer from it that much, I've had hours of fun with HL2. Lucky that way, I guess.

VR needs 4K or over (well over, in fact, for retina-type pixel density). So this isn't gonna happen soon. CV1 won't be ready for that. Not at least until most GPUs are comfortable with higher resolutions, and we can deliver 4K@100Hz reliably through a cable, or even better, wireless.

MineCrift is probably the easiest on the sickness front. I don't suffer from it that much, I've had hours of fun with HL2. Lucky that way, I guess.

Their control mechanism is much better, with your head controlling direction. Not so much cross purpose like HL2 and of course, slower. HL2 makes me wanna puke so maybe youre just naturally resistant.

Not too impressed with Oculus' customer service! No reply to my support ticket regarding my faulty DK2 yet. Ok this isn't the consumer version, but developers etc are still their customers.

Back
Top Bottom