Oculus Rift

I've had my rift for a couple of weeks now so feel I can give a good balanced view of what I have seen so far.

Hooking everything up was fairly simple, quite a few cables though which makes things a little messy but can't be helped. The tracker initially had trouble and I would get USB device not recognised after booting up, removing and attatching the camera again had things working.

I then went into the config section which showed the desk demo, I was impressed with how accurate the headtracking was, very responsive and believeable. After that and a bit of configuring I run the Tuscany demo for my first taste of VR.
The screendoor effect was quite obvious straight away which was a little dissapointing and I spent my first few moments just looking around the room, at the cieling etc and was pretty impressed. It was around that time that I first pressed the left alalogue stick forwards on my XBox controller, ugh, felt ill almost straight away and had to remove the rift to rest my eyes.

I stuck with it though and had lots of move forward, then stop if I felt yuck again. It's true though, it does pass and looking around the house was quite cool with the head tracking, it's a very basic demo though, looks like something from the first gen XBox, presumably to keep frame rates high.

Then I tried the Oculus coaster demo and that refused to work in direct or extended mode, later I found out it's not directly supported on DK2.

At this point I thought, meh it's pretty clever but I'll probably put it up for sale on one of the forums I visit for the same price so someone else can play with it but decided to try a few more games.
On the rift arcade there are plenty of demos you can download so I tried a few out. I downloaded the battle of endor demo and that just totally changed things for me :p absolutely incredible! Such a sense of scale when flying around, great positional tracking with the head movement, sound, graphics, everything! I looked back in the cockpit and R2D2 was there looking back at me!

Then I set about downloading a few more demos, the red of paw one which is a small room where you walk about and do things, again it had the screen door effect but when you start theres a bunch of items on a shelf and I must have spent 5 minutes leaning forwards and just looking around at these things and I do mean look around and not just at :) , the headtracking is so believeable and I was able to walk around and not feel ugh anymore, it's a very cool demo and worth checking out.

After a lot of messing with refresh rates, setting displays I got the Helix coaster demo working and that was another wow moment, it truly does make you feel what you 'think' your body would feel when going up and down and the feeling light sensation you would expect on a coaster.
Along with that download I got the cyber space demo which is another fair ground ride thing and for such a basic demo just as with the coaster it perfectly captured the momentary weightless feeling you would expect to feel as you raise then drop.
Another demo that impressed me was the titans of space one where it shows you ever increasing in size planets, moons etc, great sense of size in this one, that decent wireless headset I bought in preperation for the rift really helped on this one for the immersion.

Finally after a few days of messing I downloaded elite dangerous, it's a realy pain to get it to work and I have only got it working perfectly once, after all you are using beta hardware on beta software but the cockpit is perfectly designed and you can use your head to activate context menus.

Overall it is a great bit of kit, right now theres lots of editing of config files, messing with different modes, setting different primary displays and it's a lot of messing about so don't expect for things to just work. You get problems with camera juddering in lots of stuff, not due to frame rates though, some games seem to try and work at 60Hz and not the 75 the rift wants.

In the final version realistically I would like to see a 2K display and possibly one or 2 more tracking UV lights to your head can be fully tracked when looking behind you, for the most part it works pretty well as is.

Last edited:
Heads up that DCS modules are on sale on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/

Highly recommend the P51-D Mustang and UH-1H Huey as both have clickable cockpits and are pretty cheap.

Got a thread dedicated to mods and tweaks for DCS over on the Eagle Dynamics forums that we're looking for more suggestions to make it work at it's best!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129920

If you have an AMD card be aware that the DK2 does not work with DCS until they release the new EDGE engine - sometime later this year hopefully. Ive bought FC3 and the Huey for when it does... drooool.

I think someone needs to design a headset that takes off some strain from the pc, ie the GPU renders 1 image and then the headset copies it onto the other lens?

Trouble is unlike a pc gfx card that wouldn't be upgradeable. So I wouldn't want one that went that route.

That todem, looks like it has some real benefits. But I'm not going to subsidise development on any off them. I just don't think the technology is quite there yet. The screens need to be higher rest for a start. Hopefully the rift retail version will be the one.

Silly question but I haven't seen the answer yet, maybe as it's an obvious no. For DK1 demos that require a bit of faffing to work as they don't support 'Direct to Rift', a lot, maybe all don't support headtracking for me. Is this correct? Say, Dreadhalls, Technolust, Budda club rave. Is this correct or is there a way to get them to support headtracking?

Cheers.

Oh, also is there a config tool that does live correction in the Rift? It'd be great to adjsut the advanced Rift calibration while looking through it. I was playing with the eye distances and struggled to see which was better going from 20mm extremes.

p.p.s.
Playing LFS, I felt like I was going crosseyed when looking at the interior rearview mirror. Anyone else get that? It was a bit weird and unexpected.

Silly question but I haven't seen the answer yet, maybe as it's an obvious no. For DK1 demos that require a bit of faffing to work as they don't support 'Direct to Rift', a lot, maybe all don't support headtracking for me. Is this correct? Say, Dreadhalls, Technolust, Budda club rave. Is this correct or is there a way to get them to support headtracking?

Cheers.

Oh, also is there a config tool that does live correction in the Rift? It'd be great to adjsut the advanced Rift calibration while looking through it. I was playing with the eye distances and struggled to see which was better going from 20mm extremes.

p.p.s.
Playing LFS, I felt like I was going crosseyed when looking at the interior rearview mirror. Anyone else get that? It was a bit weird and unexpected.

No, you don't get head tracking in anything that was made for that DK1 that hasn't been recompiled with the latest SDK.

No, there's currently no real time config tool that lets you change any of the config settings.

You feel like you're going cross eyed likely because the LFS mirrors are 2D.

Not too impressed with Oculus' customer service! No reply to my support ticket regarding my faulty DK2 yet. Ok this isn't the consumer version, but developers etc are still their customers.

You've probably already checked this, but have you slid the cable cover off on the front and checked that both cables are fully plugged in?

You've probably already checked this, but have you slid the cable cover off on the front and checked that both cables are fully plugged in?

Yep. About 15 times :D Definitely a knackered unit I think. Have tried different cables, different screen modes, different firmware, changed graphics card drivers. Same problem. Tested on someone elses PC and Mac too

The main feature I really like about these headsets is the head tracking, as it would be a great feature to have in racing games. So my question is, can you buy a camera that tracks your eyes in games, and if so would it be anygood in racing games on a monitor?

Last edited:
Im not sure about eye tracking, but head tracking there certainly is (Track IR).
I dont know if you're well aware of that, hence asking about eye tracking, or if thats not essentially what you're meaning.

I'd like to say i cant quite see the benefit of what eye tracking would do, but to be quite honest the idea of head tracking is somewhat lost on me anyway! You look left, and the game camera looks left. Brilliant... except im now looking either side of the monitor :D Okay, so I do get it, but it just seems an incomplete concept, and thats where VR like Rift takes a hexagonal wheel and makes it round, it completes the idea.

I dont really know if its perfected it, it's still got years of advances to go through just like a stone wheel (the flintstones are real!), and im not 100% there just yet, but its a finished idea at least.

While we're on this subject, of racing, VR and head tracking tech, maybe someone with experience with racing and either Rift or IR could say whether its quite easy to switch from the fixed perspective to a motion-sensing version. Are small movements off-putting, does it just instantly feel natural, or is it something that requires a little getting used to? Does it also add anything beyond immersion, i wouldnt expect it to make me faster, but are there real benefits, and has there been times when its been party to making a mistake (looking away for a second and not realising you're veering off track - aka 'doing a Maldonardo') or does it not get a little uncomfortable if you're head movement being still gets stiff to the point where it has an off-putting or distracting impact?
Im fairly tempted by both solutions, IR would be a better solution for my 3 monitor setup (feels annoying having them then not using them cos you have 2 phone screens attached to your face), but VR will feel like you're more connected to the gaming world, but it also disconnects you from the real world too, and combined with headphones, you're basically not even in the real world. Thats a feeling im really uncomfortable with, im a jumpy person, so blindfold me and cover my ears for 1h, then try getting my attention, and see how long i continue using both.

The side benefit of VR would be being able to jump in bed and watch a movie on a (virtual) big screen, 3D would be great in that situation too, and Track IR cant help anyone with that :D

It'd be nice if i wasnt a billy no mates and i knew someone with either (particularly a Rift) but i suspect of the friends i have who are gamers, who are near me (same country!) im the most likely to buy one anyway, i'd be the one buying it while others tried it on my dime.

-edit-
I see you corrected yourself a good hour before i started this post, that teaches me for only reading the email notification :D

Last edited:
Does it also add anything beyond immersion, i wouldnt expect it to make me faster, but are there real benefits, and has there been times when its been party to making a mistake (looking away for a second and not realising you're veering off track - aka 'doing a Maldonardo') or does it not get a little uncomfortable if you're head movement being still gets stiff to the point where it has an off-putting or distracting impact?

Do you drive in real-life, or have you done any competitive real-life driving (go-karting etc?) I haven't used the Rift but have done some real-life racing. It's natual to move your head slightly when cornering to make sure you hit the apex, and you use your peripheral vision a lot when overtaking/being overtaken. This is currently lost when playing computer games - hopefully the Rift will add this to the immersion.

Do you drive in real-life, or have you done any competitive real-life driving (go-karting etc?) I haven't used the Rift but have done some real-life racing. It's natual to move your head slightly when cornering to make sure you hit the apex, and you use your peripheral vision a lot when overtaking/being overtaken. This is currently lost when playing computer games - hopefully the Rift will add this to the immersion.
I will be finding out for myself in a months time when I go to my mates in Kent. Im gonna take my G27, and hopefully my iRacing sub will still be valid.

I will give you some feedback then. In the mean time, if there is anything that I should prep myself for to take notes of?

You feel like you're going cross eyed likely because the LFS mirrors are 2D.

Although that is true and the 2D mirrors look weird, the cross-eyed sensation feels like I'm having to focus at a different very close distance. Haven't experienced it in any other demo yet.

No, im strictly an armchair racer :D

I think what throws me a little about is that IRL if have a huge FOV, and you can take more in with a quick glance to the side because you're eyes can also quickly switch between forward and side in the same movement.

Funny that LFS has just been brought up, cos thats where i've always had the most fun from, with a good 8yrs in there from its early beta days, but i remember early on when i'd just bought a wheel i had it placed right infront of me, but the monitor, still in the chunky CRT days, was in the corner so i'd be driving looking right. When i got a TFT and could put it behind the wheel, it took a lot of getting used to.
So i'd imagine there will be some degree of adaptation required, but while it probably isnt the same thing, i know when ive tried the 'turn in on corner approach' which some sims have so the camera will start to focus on the apex rather than 100% fixed like its a TV camera attached to the seat. That never felt comfortable, and so i've often through back to that and wondered maybe every little bit of movement through the neck could make it harder to nail an apex, plus im sure it'll tense the muscles in the neck trying to drive so straight, and the weight of a VR unit too might not help.

I suppose in time you'd adapt to it all too, but i still wonder whether theres a benefit (beyond immersion) to VR, likewise if it might hinder. I'd imagine single monitor vs rift wouldnt be a step back, but triple (and 3x 29" ultra-wide at that) vs rift is going to go back to tunnel vision. I managed fine for years without them too, so i suppose it goes back to adapting.

Back
Top Bottom