Oculus Rift

No one knows for sure what the CV1 resolution will be just yet, although there are a lot of rumours.

I definitely can't see it being 4K. I don't see how they can do that within the sort of price point they want. The vast majority of consumers won't be able game at 4K resolutions at 90/100+ FPS either

I haven't been as to flash the firmware as it's not recognised at all by the configuration utility. If I plug it into another PC it's recognised automatically after I install the runtime and installs all the drivers etc. On mine, diddly squat.

I get an orange light on the headset only until windows kicks in, then the light disappears for good.

:(

Disconnect all but you main monitor if your are running multi ones.

Make sure you are plugging all USB into USB2 ports.

Make sure you have the power lead plugged into the main plug / hdmi socket. Easy to forget or for it to pull out, been there :)

De-install the Config tool and re-download it and try again.

Other than that, if it works on another computer and not yours, then something in windows is breaking it.

They're selling these things now. A totally immersive 3D game would be epic but Oculus Rift doesn't have that, they're not even close to having it, they only have promises.

No, they are selling a beta to developers, it's not a retail product. They're doing it the right way.

That's not how you make technological revolutions, you make those by creating a product, releasing it and watching it take over the market or creating one if it doesn't exist. The Iphone didn't need 5 Alpha versions, 5 Beta versions and years of customer testing, nor did the Playstation in the 90s. They simply worked from start, the revolution happened when they were released.

Nonsense- the Playstation, iPhone and pretty much every piece of technology that relies on consumable software, had many iterations, betas and development kits, often years before we got out grubby mitts on them. Hell, each Apple iOs version goes through at least three iterations (I'm a paid up Dev)!

History is littered with excellent gadgets with amazing potential that flopped precisely because they went to market without enough software to kickstart interest.

I don't think VR's potential is anything to do with 3D, it's to do with perspective and interaction- perspective because you have freed yourself from a static monitor and have an intuitive way of seeing the world that all humans can relate to, this opens the door to similarly intuitive interaction that will be made possible by the motion controllers that I hope will make it to market- virtual guns/swords/gloves etc. We've had the capability to realise immersive virtual worlds visually for years now, the quantum leap will be in the way we view and interact with them. The VR kit itself is just an abstracting layer, but it has to be there before we can take that leap.

I think oculus are doing it in the only way they can. Create enough buzz so that the word is on enough lips, get the kits out to developers and to enthusiasts like ourselves- it's the developers that decide the fate of VR, not Oculus.

Personally I couldn't care less, I only want mine for Elite and driving sims :D

Last edited:
I think it's a safe bet that the CV1 will be 1440p @ 90hz.

Educated guess based on this from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-01-oculus-answers-the-big-rift-questions

The good news is that the hardware specifications are already nailed down. "We know what we're making and now it's a matter of making it," Luckey says. And it will be quite a lot better than DK2. "The consumer version is significantly improved," he nods. "The jump from DK1 to DK2 is similar to the jump from DK2 to CD1 [the consumer version]."

DK2 took the resolution from 720p up to 1080p, reduced blur, smear and judder, and added positional/head tracking. But the resolution, although better, isn't good enough. I struggle in Elite: Dangerous targeting enemies because I can't clearly pick them out against the backdrop of space behind them. Luckey understands the issue and says "yes", the resolution for the consumer version will change, will increase, although he won't say to what. "It is a significant increase," I manage to get him to say.

The refresh rate will rise from 75Hz to 90Hz "or higher", apparently, and the improved design brings down both the weight and size of the headset. Will it look fairly similar to how it does how? "Depends on what... fairly similar is a very amorphous term!" responds Mitchell. "It will look like a VR headset." But will it be recognisably Oculus Rift? "I think so," he says.

There's a slight possibility of a major new feature being added for the consumer version in the same way that head-tracking was added to DK2. "Maybe," teases Luckey. "We'll see." And Mitchell laughs.

Your experience of using the device to play games will be smoother because setting it up at the moment is "kind of a nightmare". "We want that whole experience to be super-polished and easy to use for anyone," Mitchell says. "There's a lot of work to be done there, especially on the software side."

As for the eventual price: the consumer version should come in similar to what DK2 costs now. "We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range," he states. "That could slide in either direction depending on scale, pre-orders, the components we end up using, business negotiations..."

"Whatever it is," Luckey adds, "it's going to be as cheap as possible." Mitchell nods: "That's really the goal."

In addition to this article about the Samsung GearVR - "working with Occulus"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-03-samsung-unveils-gearvr

Samsung used its Unpacked press event to unveil GearVR, the Android-based headset it has been developing with Oculus. The collaboration reportedly allows Oculus preferential access to Samsung screens for its own Rift product.

The system uses the just-announced Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which slots into the headset and uses its Quad HD super AMOLED 2.5k display to supply the dual images needed for a VR experience.

It's not much of a leap to imagine that could be the very screen that'll be used in the Consumer version of Occulus Rift. I don't imagine it will be 4K, as very few people will have enough grunt to power that at 90fps!

1440p at 90fps is realistic though....

Last edited:
All this talk of fps depends what you are playing / running on it. 4k Crysis 3 at 90fps won't be possibe (for almost everyone)

4k on half life 2 on oculus certainly will be - on 670sli I got 400-1000 fps in 1440p

Low graphics tech demos like roller coasters and things like dread halls will work fine in 4k

Mine came pretty quickly after that, like two days.

Got mine working after formatting my PC, all good.

Few things:

Downsides:
- Resolution not amazing, screen door noticeable unless you're near stuff
- Not found it particularly comfortable
- 3D is not as profound as I thought it'd be, though I've only got Tuscany working so far as my windows update isn't working - means no directx it seems
- I am finding myself getting motion sick a little, which I was pretty sure I wouldn't get
- I'm getting smearing when I flick my head left and right

So far the only thing I've been really impressed with is the positional tracking, being able to look at thr demo scene and peer around the deck of cards, look under the lamp and see the light bulb etc. has been pretty amazing.

How do I check the refresh rate and resolution is right? I'm getting smearing from the trees when I move hey head about, that's not right. I'll probably be more impressed when I get into games and thr immersion will build.

I'd love to have a go on one of those things, I bet it's amazing. I only remember experiencing virtual reality over 20 years ago and though it was all blocky polygon type graphics, it was very immersive, the feeling of walking in this virtual open space was awesome.

What is the sense of scale of things with Rift, is everything perceived full size as in real life? Can you get close to characters and tell they look a certain height relative to you or am I expecting too much?

Ok, now had a little more experience with it. Half Life 2 seems great but that have me serious, serious motion sickness. Walking around is pretty cool, ducking and walking around the NPCs gave a good sense of scale. Looking up to them was cool. I don't like the initial control system I tried, where the cursor has free movement before it moves your view.

The biggest problem I had, and which is why I'm now writing this from my bed, is serious motion sickness when the loading screen cut in. The view was static for just a brief period and it made me feel really bad. Sweating lots and hot.

Not sure if I'll be able to get on with this but I'll keep trying. The resolution still isn't great, but does start to become acceptable when you're distracted by playing the game.

The biggest problem I had, and which is why I'm now writing this from my bed, is serious motion sickness when the loading screen cut in. The view was static for just a brief period and it made me feel really bad. Sweating lots and hot.

Exact problem I had :( I was in bed for a day. The motion sickness just came over me like a hot flush, I got really hot and then had to lay down. I had to sell my DK2 but really hope they figure something out for the consumer release.

I used to get serious motion sickness playing Half Life 2 on a monitor. Not sure why. It's the only game thats ever made me feel like it. Not sure if its because the movement is too quick or what. Don't think I'd dare try it in the Rift

Exact problem I had :( I was in bed for a day. The motion sickness just came over me like a hot flush, I got really hot and then had to lay down. I had to sell my DK2 but really hope they figure something out for the consumer release.

What did you think of the resolution? I can't help but think I haven't set mine up properly, or the resolution in DK1 was worse than I thought it was. When I hit escape to go to the menu in HL2, even though it's been blown up for VR, I still can barely read anything.

There are some really interesting articles on motion sickness and what causes it, but if you get it playing on a monitor then you may be one of the more extreme cases!

I will say that the current Rift HL2 game is for me, a one way ticket to nausea, but that is because of the speed mechanisms and multiple control inputs. In contrast Minecraft (sedate speeds, with head tracking being tied into the selection tool - ie mouselook) is a much better experience.

In all honesty i stop noticing the resolution pretty quickly, especially in live for speed where you're just sweating the track and swearing at the other drivers. Elite is a lot more noticeable when you have distant objects, trying to get a bead on an enemy in the distance, you're basically just staring at a white block. HL2 was mental before the motion sickness kicked in, youre actually standing IN the citadel! Watching movies is like having an Imax but playing a VHS tape. Unreal games seem to be much better quality but i have yet to find a game to use them with. Lots of beautiful demos though.

Basically for a Development Kit its fine, and I absolutely love every aspect of it from a discovery perspective and theres so much more to be developed. I want to scream 'OHMYGOD its full of stars!" everytime Elite Dangerous starts up. The commercial release is going to be a bump though and that is needed for popular takeup. really curious about the Gear.

What did you think of the resolution? I can't help but think I haven't set mine up properly, or the resolution in DK1 was worse than I thought it was. When I hit escape to go to the menu in HL2, even though it's been blown up for VR, I still can barely read anything.

Did you not have issues with DK1 as well? Or am I mis-reading your post.

Consumer version should fix the resolution issue.

What do you think of the resolution Devlish?

Try having a go on the rollercoaster ue4 demo and see what your resolution is like there. Whats your ipd set at? have you turned on low persistence? you should be able to easily read the net graph in HL2, can you? Another thing i just thought of which made me lol when someone else did it, was they took out the lenses to clean and put the Bs back in. Check that too.

Last edited:

I thought the resolution was fine, a little screendoor effect if you really are lookin for it. But I have an LCD projector so am kind of used to it. It's a huge step up from DK1 though.

Mind you I didn't play any actual games, just a few demos!

As noted above, the UE4 rollercoaster demo is very good, really looks HD ish.

I'm getting 300fps in Half-Life 2, so the cap isn't working. I can see tearing.

I can read the netgraph, the resolution is good enough for that, but I can't really read it with both eyes open. Each eye shows it in a different place, is that because my IPD is wrong?

EDIT: Tried that UE4 rollercoaster demo but it's saying I've got missing files, which is what Senza Peso said. I can't install it though, as Windows says it should already be with Windows 7 via Windows Update. Any idea?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom